New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

thank you sir !!!

btw, the #0000 steel wool works nicely after 1500 grit... the back is done, so is the back of the neck. onto the front, sides and headstock before final-cut and swirl remover...

here's what i am using... 400 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit and #0000 steel wool. all the sandpapering is wet sanding... :thu::

i think this is gonna turn out pretty {censored}ing nice :thu:

i'm not stopping until i am playing this tonight. i have too, tomorrow is another kegging, bottling and brewing day !!! :wave:

btw, i hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend !!!

• Members
17 guitars
:eek:

thanks doc !!!!

thank you sir !!!

btw, the #0000 steel wool works nicely after 1500 grit... the back is done, so is the back of the neck. onto the front, sides and headstock before final-cut and swirl remover...

here's what i am using... 400 grit, 800 grit, 1000 grit, 1500 grit and #0000 steel wool. all the sandpapering is wet sanding...
:thu:
:

i think this is gonna turn out pretty {censored}ing nice

i'm not stopping until i am playing this tonight. i have too, tomorrow is another kegging, bottling and brewing day !!!
:wave:

btw, i hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend !!!

Tuning is, this is gonna be a fun night for us! For you, a lot of work, but it's gonna look killer when it's done.

• Members
Tuning is, this is gonna be a fun night for us! For you, a lot of work, but it's gonna look killer when it's done.

lots of work, but worth it...

and i know you guys love pics and so do i so here's a few of the back all smooth and satin looking...

a pic of my pedal board for the hell of it...

dcam3944sc0.jpg
dcam3943ne5.jpg
dcam3941pv0.jpg

dcam3928rm8.jpg

• Members
lots of work, but worth it...

and i know you guys love pics and so do i so here's a few of the back all smooth and satin looking...

a pic of my pedal board for the hell of it...

dcam3944sc0.jpg
dcam3943ne5.jpg
dcam3941pv0.jpg

dcam3928rm8.jpg

I love deans. Hopefully I will own one but DAYUM that is a huge head stock. Looks good though dude! Your a master at what you do my man!:thu:

• Members
I love deans. Hopefully I will own one but DAYUM that is a huge head stock. Looks good though dude! Your a master at what you do my man!

thanks man... not a master yet, but trying.

i still make mistakes and have to back up a step...

all right, the sides are done !!! front of the body and headstock then i can start with the buffing.... :rawk:

• Members

Looking at the pedalboard I see that you got the wrong Boss chorus and you have it in the wrong position. Or is it me who got it wrong, see sig?

Part of me is sick of the blah finish on the bass in my sig. Your Dean was well-finished when it started. Mine has the seams showing of the body and a nasty beltbuckle rash and I had to shim the sides of the neck pocket using what I had (empty chain pizza place cheese packets). There are dead frets on its neck to boot. More reason to start that as a project after my Strat project.

Because of your project looking so good, I plan on making my possible far future refinish of my Dean a silverburst (without the water drops, that would be beyond my scope even though I am going to be doing this one after the Strat, meaning the earliest possible starting date will be summer '09).

• Members
Looking at the pedalboard I see that you got the wrong Boss chorus and you have it in the wrong position. Or is it me who got it wrong, see sig?

Part of me is sick of the blah finish on the bass in my sig. Your Dean was well-finished when it started. Mine has the seams showing of the body and a nasty beltbuckle rash and I had to shim the sides of the neck pocket using what I had (empty chain pizza place cheese packets). There are dead frets on its neck to boot. More reason to start that as a project after my Strat project.

Because of your project looking so good, I plan on making my possible far future refinish of my Dean a silverburst (without the water drops, that would be beyond my scope even though I am going to be doing this one after the Strat, meaning the earliest possible starting date will be summer '09).

what are you saying about my chorus ? should i have it further down stream in my hookup ?

anyway, good luck on your silverburst refinish !!! :thu:

• Members
okay, she is buffed and ready for final assembly
:rawk:

can't wait to see her in the sunlight !!!

dcam3948ur3.jpg
dcam3950vn6.jpg
dcam3951md6.jpg
dcam3953gk6.jpg
dcam3954vk2.jpg
dcam3955zp8.jpg

and with a few of her family members...

dcam3962kn5.jpg

she's not perfect, but she came out really nice...

can't wait to play her a little later this evening !!!

Actually, the finish came out great! It really looks clear and clean, with no swirl. Did you use McGuire's?

• Members

what are you saying about my chorus ? should i have it further down stream in my hookup ?

anyway, good luck on your silverburst refinish !!!

1. I'm no expert but most chorus pedals are run late in the signal path so that distortion doesn't turn the modulated sound to mush. Instead, the distorted signal is clearly modulated. The Rocktron thing, is it a heavy distortion?

2. Knowing me, all talk/no action, I won't be getting that started until like I said, summer '09, but I would be bassless doing this, so more like '10 if I get a second bass Christmas '09. As for the actual burst I will be doing more like one of those teardrop-shaped bursts seen mostly on Les Pauls and archtops than one that follows the edge like what you did, because the upper horn is very narrow. Alternatively I would follow a picture of how they sunburst the shape, looking on the site, as so: http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_4.htm but obviously not that color. Another alternative: forget the refinish and buy this or this and performing the refinish on that, buying a 5-string set without the top string, and stringing my current bass to tune to low B, and this

Plus I have two possible builds in line, see sig, and before anyone says that the candy apple red is a very difficult finish to perform, I am starting with a finished body on that one.

Looking totally custom shop there! :cool: I would expect to see that on some $3000-up instrument that I would be frightened to ding/dent.

• Members
1. I'm no expert but most chorus pedals are run late in the signal path so that distortion doesn't turn the modulated sound to mush. Instead, the distorted signal is clearly modulated. The Rocktron thing, is it a heavy distortion?

2. Knowing me, all talk/no action, I won't be getting that started until like I said, summer '09, but I would be bassless doing this, so more like '10 if I get a second bass Christmas '09. As for the actual burst I will be doing more like one of those teardrop-shaped bursts seen mostly on Les Pauls and archtops than one that follows the edge like what you did, because the upper horn is very narrow. Alternatively I would follow a picture of how they sunburst the shape, looking on the site, as so:
http://www.deanguitars.com/edge_4.htm
but obviously not that color. Another alternative: forget the refinish and buy
this
or
this
and performing the refinish on that, buying a 5-string set without the top string, and stringing my current bass to tune to low B, and this

Plus I have two possible builds in line, see sig, and before anyone says that the candy apple red is a very difficult finish to perform, I am starting with a finished body on that one.

Looking totally custom shop there!
:cool:
I would expect to see that on some $3000-up instrument that I would be frightened to ding/dent.

hey thanks for the heads up on the Chorus pedal... I'll move it and yes the Rocktron Zombie is very heavy !!!

your build sounds cool... i look forward to following your work, whenever you do get around to it :poke: :thu:

Archived