New Water Drop Effect Guitar Project

GuitarNoobie

• Members
I can't really stand open coil pickups; it looks cheap to me, but I think that the chrome ring and just black open coils looks pretty bad ass. I love chrome covers, but it kind of distracts you from the paint job. I can't believe I am saying this though....

Another thing that if you were super cool would be to get some of those covers that are completely solid and them paint them too. Lot of work and possibly look like {censored}, but it would be a couple more pages for us to read.
;)

now that's an interesting thought. but paint is not gonna stick to chrome :cry:

i'm starting a new refinish thread in the near future, so you'll have some more to read :thu:

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't really stand open coil pickups; it looks cheap to me

That's what I was trying to get at. Open coils are fine if the pickups are zebra coils (which would look even worse on this one), extra-hot, or have distinctive pole pieces like Seymour Duncan Invader.

• Members
That's what I was trying to get at. Open coils are fine if the pickups are zebra coils (which would look even worse on this one), extra-hot, or have distinctive pole pieces like Seymour Duncan Invader.

thanks for everyone's input!!!

the open coils just looking more gritty and mean... :rawk:

• Members
well i have also asked some fellow guitar players at work and so far only you and one other guy prefer the chrome covered pickups...

to me the open coils add a little contrast
;)

That's what I like about them. It would be a good balance of chrome and black hardware. All black or all chrome would be too much, in my opinion. I'm also a fan of the open look. The main thing to consider is how it's going to sound, more than how the pickups are going to look. Don't get me wrong, looks matter to me too, but pickups that match your style of playing and sound good to you count even more.

I think you made a good call on the pickups.

• Members

thanks guys !!!

what i have decided to do is a snakeskin effect. black base coat, then green paint over fishnet stockings and light spray of gold airbrushing over the green (very light)...

:thu:

I wanted to do a snakeskin finish on my Godin Tele,but I'm not sure it would be wise to do it as my first refin.:eek:

Maybe,it could always come off if I sprayed on a coat of FAIL.:lol:

Either p-ups look good in the V,but tonight I'm actually leaning towards the chrome.

• Members
:thu:
I wanted to do a snakeskin finish on my Godin Tele,but I'm not sure it would be wise to do it as my first refin.
:eek:
Maybe,it could always come off if I sprayed on a coat of FAIL.
:lol:
Either p-ups look good in the V,but tonight I'm actually leaning towards the chrome.

thanks, i'll have a snakeskin refinish thread in the future you can use as a reference :thu:

• Members

Really, I'd wait a month or more. I waited 2 months for mine.

i got away with 2 weeks on my last guitar (the purple quilted).

someone posted it wasn't cured until i could no long smell it. after being shutup in a spare bedroom for 2 weeks i could not smell anything. seemed fine to me, no problems with the clear...

• Members

Here's something while you wait for the paint to dry buddy.

I think these pictures will help illustrate the polish method I was explaining to you earlier. Notice please that this is being done on Black... which is a royal pain in the ass since every, little, tiny, fault shows up.

Yeah... I'm a hairy mofo! Deal with it! :lol:

This is the clearcoat on my Sheraton being sanded down. It had 11 years worth of scratches and dings when I got it. To get rid of them, I almost had to sand all the transparent coat away... but not quite. Your case is different. All you want to do is sand away the orange peel texture your clearcoat has now. Notice in this picture how the surface is perfectly smooth and even. It has been wet sanded with 2000 grit and then 4000.

polish1kn4.jpg

This is after sanding with 4000 grit. In this case, I stopped sanding because as you can see in the picture, the finish is dull but there are no scratches left at all. This is what you want your finish to look like BEFORE you start polishing.

polish2vy1.jpg

Here you can see a small dab of Novus #2 polish. That

• Members

GuitarNoobie: I have warmed up to the open-coil look on the V.

Electric Blues: If I had known that earlier I wouldn't have stripped my Squier and planned a refinish just to get a better-looking finish, but I can still use the advice on my other projects. Where do you get such high-grit sandpaper and that polish?

Archived