Anyone know what kinda guitar was used on the solo of Maggie May?

Hemroidius

• Members

...was driving home from work today, when it came on the oldies station. Heard the solo a x-hundred times before and the tone always struck me as unique. My mind's eye and ear says it something hollow, played on the neck pickup, high up the fingerboard on the low strings. :idk: Searched a little around the web but didn't turn up anything firm - just similar speculation.

Anyone here in the know? Ronnie, you out there???

• Members

I think it really doesn't matter becuase it's lame.

For a long time I think I kinda thought the same thing - but the solo has grown on me over the years as a great example of understated beauty. The solo fit the song and recording wonderfully.

I guess my question for you would be, lame compared to what?

• Members

The first thing I thought was, "Zemaitis?, but I'm no expert.

Then there is this video (apparently Ashley Simpson didn't invent lip-syncing. 2min 20sec):

http://ikiecrop.vodspot.tv/watch/692527-the-faces-maggie-may

(I think those fellows are the very definition of, "having too much fun").

I might have gone with this fellow speculation, were it not for that video (although, the video really doesn't prove much) :

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/33762-maggie-may-solo.html

The song and solo are fine, but I when first read this thread I couldn't help but be reminded of the rocking guitar work on ,"Stay with Me".

By the way, Rod + Jeff Beck=Best vocal/guitar pairing ever! (it can be proved with math).

• Members

The first thing I thought was, "Zemaitis?, but I'm no expert.

Then there is this video (apparently Ashley Simpson didn't invent lip-syncing. 2min 20sec):

(I think those fellows are the very definition of, "having too much fun").

I might have gone with this fellow speculation, were it not for that video (although, the video really doesn't prove much) :

The song and solo are fine, but I when first read this thread I couldn't help but be reminded of the rocking guitar work on ,"Stay with Me".

By the way, Rod + Jeff Beck=Best vocal/guitar pairing ever! (it can be proved with math).

[YOUTUBE]ei-L_AuuaxI[/YOUTUBE]

Here's the only math needed!

• Members

Great song. Nice story. Easy melody. I forgive Rod Stewart for a lot of his crap because of this song.

There's a lot of crap that needs forgiving with Rod (and I'm just talking about musical crap), but on balance, after you factor in all the great music, I too forgive him.

/like he cares what I think of him

• 10 years later...
  • Members
17 hours ago, joseph kirley said:

I've heard he used a Messenger guitar for the solo. A messenger is most notably used by Mark Farner on the first four studio albums from Grand Funk Rairoad.

I played Mark's Messenger years and years ago (he's a homeboy). "Piece of junk!" was my thought---

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it COULD have been an Aera Pro II....why? Because I remember being in  a local music store and it had a huge poster with Rod Stewarts lead guitarist using an Aeria Pro II guitar. Now...it could have been just an ad...I don't know...but it is just as good a theory as anything else?

• Members

I have read about this album, and I think the solo was cut on an Epiphone Coronet. Ron Wood still uses one from time to time. 

1964-Epiphone-Coronet-Silverfox-Original

My original guess was Ron wood used a Zemantis, as he had it in 1971. The original Top of the Pops Video looks totally fake.

It was done on the album in 2 takes, and originally intended as a B side Track.

Archived