NGD w/clips: Telecaster Custom II

Stackabones

• Members

Howdy, HCEG! You'll usually find me on the acoustic side of the fence, but I love it over here. :love:

I got this Tele a couple of weeks ago after GASsing for over a year or two for a P90-equipped git. This particular color (blonde) kept going out of stock, so I had AMS email me when it came in. When it finally came it, I ignored it ... but a couple of days I checked again and there was only 1 left in stock. Oh, sweet temptation.

The neck is true and quick. The color is gorgeous. I've never had P90s before, and I love these so far. Thet hum when alone -- moreso when near something that casts off humming frequencies (computers, freaky lights, etc). When run together the hum of course disappears, they can get some wonderful tones (it's cool to run both of them with the tone on the neck almost rolled off and the bridge all the way up). Pup selector switch is quiet and I love the possibilities of cranking one pup all the way and rolling back the volume on the other -- an option I haven't had with the typical tele setup. The price on this guitar is a real bargain, and AMS makes it too easy to buy with its 3-payment plan.

100_1029.jpg

100_1065.jpg

100_1035.jpg

100_1034.jpg

100_1033.jpg

100_1048.jpg

CLIPS

I Know Your Name

Rhythm clean shuffle guitar and dirty & slide gits are all the Tele Custom II. Clean git is the Fender Super Champ XD Voice 2. Dirty gits are through a Pignose. This guitar still has the stock 9s on it.

The bass is actually my Peavey Reactor (telecopy and main gighorse for a long time) on the Joe Barden neck pup with everything rolled off and through the SCXS on the Jazz King setting bass dimed & treble zero. That bass thing is essentially an homage to Brewer Phillips, who from what I gather did the same thing in Hound Dog Taylor's band.

The drum is a pandeiro.

All vox are me.

Love Is Not Loved Enough

I wrote and recorded this one on Friday. Acoustic is a Morgan Monroe MV-01. The electric is the Tele through a Super Champ XD with a vibratone effect dialed in. Both gits used bare fingers. All vox are me.

Both clips were recorded on Zoom H4n and messed around with in GarageBand.

• Members

I have one myself, although I bought the "correct" color ;)

I think that guitar is one of the best value "bargain guitars" out there.

I like it for its versatility.

I have to admit, that my first impression was "cheap - send it back", but it quickly grew on me.

I does need better shielding, but I found that its 3 distinct voices give it a lot of versatility - enough to where my initial impression faded away.

One year I was heading off to visit my wife's family for Thanksgiving - needed to bring along an axe - after auditioning all my gear - I decided to bring along the Tele C II for both versatility of tone and durability. Plenty of vibe, but yet it can darken up as well for heavier tones. :thu:

Custom72Tele.jpg

I sold off the '72 Deluxe to help buy a '72 Thinline, but I've kept the Squier Tele II - why not! :thu:

• Members

I'm not having any problems. I've been playing a Peavey Reactor (very flat profile) for over a decade and a half with 11s and had no problem at all. These 9s are Bend City. There were some faux pedal steel bends that were a little difficult on the 11s. No problemo now.

How can the radius create bending problems?

I've read that a smaller radius makes bends fret out more easily. I think that the medium jumbo frets on this Squier help counteract this.

I've played this Squier in the store, but it was one of many guitars I played that day and I didn't remember anything particular about the fretboard radius. I was more focused on the sound.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

• Members

I've read that a smaller radius makes bends fret out more easily. I think that the medium jumbo frets on this Squier help counteract this.

I've played this Squier in the store, but it was one of many guitars I played that day and I didn't remember anything particular about the fretboard radius. I was more focused on the sound.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

Yeah, I tend to do the same thing. Just play it and see how it sounds. Some feel factors definitely come into play, but even on a different neck I can make the adjustments. I'm always going from acoustic to electric and switching neck feel all the time, so I guess I've trained myself to do it without thinking -- Hey WTF's up with this radius?! :lol:

Archived