Comfortably Numb Solo - i dont rate it...at all.

Johansolo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

wtf

too bad it only sold 30 million +...

one of the best albums ever made..

I would say 30+ million people disagree with you

Don't let him get to you I.S. -- he's a troll.

Trolls don't like Floyd in principle, because Waters is the only monster scarier and uglier than they are.

• Members

thanks for the responses guys...
for those who think im trolling...check my user post/status etc...(if i wanted to troll i would do it on a teen pregnancy forums ...but i actually do love guitar/music and take it seriously)

the reason i did start this thread is that im just curious as to why CN its such a highly regarded gilmour solo (its referenced a lot eg..."gilmour can say more with one note than etc etc)

and ive had this discussion with a few of my guitarist friends and have got mixed opinions (which of course i understand...the whole guitar tone/music taste is subjective)

however im over pigeonholing my playing as i love guitar music too much...so im looking to expand on all areas...for instance...if i wanted to be a shredder...i would focus on speed/accuracy/technique...but at the momment im really digging/analysing how certain players feel for playing notes/why the select certain notes/phrasing etc

gilmour is just someone i guess im over analysing lately (and i do dig a lot of his stuff)...but when it comes to comfortably numb...

so...sorry for trolling if thats what people are asuming.

• Members

thanks for the responses guys...

for those who think im trolling...check my user post/status etc...(if i wanted to troll i would do it on a teen pregnancy forums ...but i actually do love guitar/music and take it seriously)

the reason i did start this thread is that im just curious as to why CN its such a highly regarded gilmour solo (its referenced a lot eg..."gilmour can say more with one note than etc etc)

and ive had this discussion with a few of my guitarist friends and have got mixed opinions (which of course i understand...the whole guitar tone/music taste is subjective)

however im over pigeonholing my playing as i love guitar music too much...so im looking to expand on all areas...for instance...if i wanted to be a shredder...i would focus on speed/accuracy/technique...but at the momment im really digging/analysing how certain players feel for playing notes/why the select certain notes/phrasing etc

gilmour is just someone i guess im over analysing lately (and i do dig a lot of his stuff)...but when it comes to comfortably numb...

take for instance, not CN but other solo's like Shine on you Crazy Diamond, Us and Them, Dark side of the Moon and many many others.

put the headphones on and listen to each song with an open mind, each one has it's own personality and feeling...

Gilmour is a master at making the emotions of each song match the song itself..

• Members

it seems a lot of people agree that its the best "feeling" "emotive" playing solo ever. dont get me wrong...great song...i couldnt write or mimick that the solo note for note/phrase for phrase... but i just dont feel anything in the first or second solo.

im not saying its a bad solo but IMO i dont rate it as a great solo. sure it suits the song but i just dont feel anything when i listen to it (and ive tried)

am i dead inside?

i guess i should kinda back this statement up with what i think is a good "emotive feeling" solo...

im not a big Chilli peppers fan...but john frusciantes playing on the "i could have lied" solo (on Blood sugar sex magic) does it for me...emotion/feeling wise.

You have no soul.

• Members

For the record, Hung, I wasn't accusing you of trolling. I was accusing the guy who said "terrible, terrible album, booyah" :blah:

Not that I'm opposed to a bit of good-natured trolling. I was a troll for 9 posts last week until I got caught. :cry: (Actually, I got caught in my first post but managed to hang on until the banhammer took my sweet, dumb little troll away)

Also for the record, this post has taught me that it is humanly possible to NOT be moved by Comfortably Numb. It makes me wonder this about people, too: are there people who don't like puppies? Who hate ice cream? Who don't like the smell of Fall upon the air? :eek: I have a greater appreciation for the diversity (and wrongness) of my fellow humans. :poke: ;)

• Members

It's funny - I've yet to see anyone (no matter how fast they can play or how many tricks they know) cover that solo and do 1/3 of the job of the original. Most butcher it.

I can virtually "sing" along with most of that solo in my head.

• Members

Didn't bother reading the whole thread so if I've lost the track of it...oh well

I absolutely love this solo...but music is subjective...if you don't get it, no problem, then move on...but just because you don't get it...don't pee on the parade of the millions who do!

• Members
Terrible band, too.

Who the {censored} makes a concept album about the difficulties of fame and expects to be taken seriously?

"Oh look at us, it's really hard for us, we're numb because of this huge wall of success that we have built between us and our fans."
:rolleyes:

Yep, it sure is difficult being a middle-class, university-educated, cocaine consuming narcissist.

and what albums have you made?

Archived