Comfortably Numb Solo - i dont rate it...at all.

Johansolo

• Members

it seems a lot of people agree that its the best "feeling" "emotive" playing solo ever. dont get me wrong...great song...i couldnt write or mimick that the solo note for note/phrase for phrase... but i just dont feel anything in the first or second solo.

im not saying its a bad solo but IMO i dont rate it as a great solo. sure it suits the song but i just dont feel anything when i listen to it (and ive tried)

am i dead inside?

i guess i should kinda back this statement up with what i think is a good "emotive feeling" solo...

im not a big Chilli peppers fan...but john frusciantes playing on the "i could have lied" solo (on Blood sugar sex magic) does it for me...emotion/feeling wise.

That's just a taste, you like other things.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Interesting. This was probably the first solos I learned note for note back in the day...But in defense to the OP, If you take the sad/minor tonal backing track out, it's just kinda like rock/bluesy wankery, but when taken as a whole, it's indisputably one of the most heart felt/perfect for the song solos I've heard.:thu:

• Members
Interesting. This was probably the first solos I learned note for note back in the day...But in defense to the OP, If you take the sad/minor tonal backing track out, it's just kinda like rock/bluesy wankery, but when taken as a whole, it's indisputably one of the most heart felt/perfect for the song solos I've heard.
:thu:

When taken out of context, with the context being Pink Floyd compositions, a lot of Gilmour's solo may seem unspectacular. He's not a speed based technician, but his intonation is killer, he has a really nice arsenal of vibratos, and what he plays fits the music extremely well. When inspired to he's capable of ripping it up and bit and even delves into playing passing tones or notes within the diatonic scales.

When I think about it, I'm not sure how much the solo "moves" me either, I just know it fits the song perfectly. It's a great piece of music all around, but it's probably the last Floyd song I'll "want" to listen to on any given day. I've heard it more than enough during my life and it's almost become a cliche.

• Members

well... some guys would be thrilled romping around in a convertible VW bug. I would rather not. They don't "do it" for me... should I start a topic about it? maybe FINALLY some some stranger in a forum will show me the light and I'll get it...

...or not

• Members
Terrible song, terrible solo, terrible album.

Booyah

Terrible band, too.

Who the {censored} makes a concept album about the difficulties of fame and expects to be taken seriously?

"Oh look at us, it's really hard for us, we're numb because of this huge wall of success that we have built between us and our fans." :rolleyes:

Yep, it sure is difficult being a middle-class, university-educated, cocaine consuming narcissist.

• Members

To the OP: I don't think many people in the world today disagree with the fact that tastes and preferences vary from person to person.

Following that, it's quite evident that the solo in Comfortably numb (which I think is pretty great but not among my absolute favorite solos) is gonna be loved by some and disliked by some.

I'm sure you understand this... so what was the point you were trying to make? Do you want us to explain why we think it's good? Well, I could attempt a detailed analysis note-for-note, comparing with other similar solos and try and come up with an answer - but I don't really think you'd be interested in that (neither would I).

So, once again, was there any point besides telling people something that might be perceived as trolling?

• Members
it seems a lot of people agree that its the best "feeling" "emotive" playing solo ever. dont get me wrong...great song...i couldnt write or mimick that the solo note for note/phrase for phrase... but i just dont feel anything in the first or second solo.

im not saying its a bad solo but IMO i dont rate it as a great solo. sure it suits the song but i just dont feel anything when i listen to it (and ive tried)

am i dead inside?

i guess i should kinda back this statement up with what i think is a good "emotive feeling" solo...

im not a big Chilli peppers fan...but john frusciantes playing on the "i could have lied" solo (on Blood sugar sex magic) does it for me...emotion/feeling wise.

You need to smoke a lefty.:poke::eek::blah::blah:Then give it a listen.:thu:;)

• Members

I agree. I am a big Floyd fan, but I think The Wall is an over-rated album. But the most disappointing thing about Comfortably numb is what the lyrics are about. In my youth, I thought it was about some kind of Camus like, drug-induced existential crisis... but on reading the Floyd biography, I discover it is just about Waters being prescribed some pain killers so he can perform.

Like most of the rest of the album... a self absorbed, morose, Waters rant.

Now I believe Gilmour has much more feeling in parts of Meddle - Echoes; or on Careful with that Axe Eugene.

Edit: to Johanneswiberg and Acid Test: I think he was just trying to start a debate. As far as I am aware there are no rules against that on this forum, although I do understand that the expressing of opinions is often looked down upon.

• Members

Well I didn't even know how the song went until I just checked it out now. I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd and their music usually does nothing for me. Hearing the solo now I admit it was played well, but it just leaves me saying "so what?" just like the rest of Pink Floyd's material that I've heard.

I don't like the solo or the band....I know Gilmour's an amazing guitarist but this kind of music isn't what I like. If others like it, that's cool. I just really can't get into this band. I've tried, but couldn't.

You don't have to like everything out there.

• Members

Next time they fire a rocket into space with a solid gold record on it, it would be a great service to aliens everywhere if Gilmour's "Comfortably Numb" solo was etched onto it.

It appeals to me because it soars and sweeps, cries and sings, shouts and whispers. It isn't a relentless shred-fest. It isn't the fastest solo ever. But it has more emotion than pretty much anything I can think of.

this.

I was raised on NWOBHM (Randy Rhoads' work with Ozzy, Iron Maiden, etc.), cut my teeth on thrash metal (early Metallica, pre-Marty Friedman Megadeth, Anthrax, etc.), and thus didn't really listen to any Pink Floyd until sometime in the mid-late 1980s. yet despite being predisposed to heavy shredding guitar, David Gilmour's first solo in "Comfortably Numb" was a jaw-dropping experience... it was full of emotion, and the perfect solo for the song.

YMMV....

• Members

yup...the solo from "fat old sun" alone is worth the price of the disk. It's funny how tastes vary from player to player. The solo from CN to me is out of earth, something brilliant. Gilmour has several solos I woud put in that catagory.

Vai, malmsteen,petrucci and players of that ilk do less than nothing for me, however.

Archived