this is why i cant stand my local mom and pop

fuzzylogic220

• Members

I remember one time when I was a kid in the late 70's. I bought a Rickenbacker bass new from a music store in Chicago at a discount warehouse. I drove 60 miles there from my home in Indiana. It cost $400. (I think today they are worth a LOT more)
Anyway when I got home my father told me that I had to get rid of it. I called a local guy at a mom and pop store that was selling the same bass for $800. I told him I'd sell him the brand new bass for $300 but he refused. I went as low as $250 and he said he wouldn't buy it from me at any price. He seemed pissed off and didn't want to help the competition.
That was all fine and good. But the thing is that he told me to bring the bass in over the phone so that we could "make a deal"
Turns out he just wanted to be a dick and rub my situation in my face. maybe try out the bass and sit back looking cool. I ended up returning it to the store in Chicago and getting my $400 back.

So yea I never had any use for mom-and-pop stores after that.

And whattya know, Dad...maybe it wasn't such a piece of garbage investment after all?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1977-rickenbacker-4001-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ360187865326

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

mom and pops are all over the board...

Many are {censored}ty and dont even have decent gear

then you have places like Daves Guitars here in STL that have any kind of PRS you could ever want. Better stuff than guitar center and the boutique stuff...

all the stuff I can look at and not afford ;-)

• Members

We have a really great local independent store. They have carved out a unique niche by catering to the upscale end of the market. They carry a lot of high end G&L, heritage, anderson, PRS, and other upper end brands. You never see them selling the lower scale stuff, other than the odd trade in and a few import models from their upper tier stuff (like G&L legacy or PRS imports). The same holds for amps and pedals. They stock the kind of stuff you can't find at GC...and would have to custom order. There prices seem pretty decent, relative to what can be found online for comparable stuff. They have a solid following in the local pro music scene and also do a lot of mods/repairs on guitars and amps. They have built a good business on pro level/collector gear and top quality service. An interesting way to beat out the big box stores.

• Members

I order a lot of stuff online. The local stores around here carry the usual stuff- but anything outside of that they usually can't get, or at least that's what they tell me. Plus, most of the prices are higher than online (MF, etc.) so, there you go. My loyalty is to my wallet first and foremost. I would :love: to support local business, but when they aren't willing/can't help me find what I want and at a decent price- I got to go with someone else. :thu:

• Members

I'll go to Guitar Center for strings, picks, sheet music, and the occasional cable. But for major purposes, i go to the local store. They have great service and we know each other, plus they actually have a clue as to what the {censored} they're doing. So yes, I pay more, but I get great service in return.

I might just be lucky though.

• Members

I find the M&P shops where I live are basically almost all vintage shops with fantastic techs and great high end small work shop guitars, pedals and such. They may not have a fresh off the press strat but they do have some beautiful 50 Epi's, Fenders Gibsons, Guilds and everything else between now and then. And i also find that since the staff is always small they can ensure that everyone who works there knows their {censored}.

• Members

I live in a university town and the prices at the mom and pop shops are outrageous! The mom and pop shops here thrive on students not knowing any better. They overcharge for everything and two of the four have gone out of business over the past year (I guess the recession does have a nice side). I do not like businesses they prey on the students this way.. Last year, there was a Squier Strat on sale for $899... (actually, pawn shops here are really no better).. They eventually sold it on a payment plan to some undergrad.. The music department on campus tells students to stay away from these shops, but not every student has received the information yet..
I'm sure in some places, the mom and pop shops are decent, just not here..

• Members

isn't that the MAP on MIA Fenders now?

It's getting harder to keep track. I work at a Fender dealer and prices have been jumping all over the place since the initial price hike at the beginning of the year. Doesn't matter as much to big-box stores that have quick turnover, but smaller shops like ours bought at the new prices at the beginning of the year (because that is the time a shop has to buy in to being a dealer for that year) and then prices dropped and we got stuck with a load of gear at the higher cost and are being forced to sell it for next to no profit because prices went back down. Sucks to be a mom and pop Fender dealer this year.

• Members

I guess I'm lucky. I developed a relationship with my local shops when I was a teenager. The one in town was where I made my first sizable guitar purchase, a Hamer Special. I was a loyal customer and was rewarded by getting good deals and heads ups when cool used gear came in. I later went on to manage the place for a couple of years. It's nothing super special, mind you. They carry the typical Kaman music stuff along with Dean, Schecter and Hamer. There's always some nice used gear and some vintage pieces. It's really more about the atmosphere though. I always walk out there with a good feeling. Whenever I walk out of GC, I'm usually just annoyed,

• Members

So far, I've only had good luck with one non-chain store, which is Andy's Guitars in Tallahassee. I expected it to be a hole in the wall, which is what it looks like from the outside, but their selection of gear is outstanding. Rics, Eastmans, Suhrs, all kinds of cool, non-traditional stuff. And I got a good deal on a set of flats for my guitar.

Edit: On second thought, Front Porch Music in Valparaiso, IN is pretty solid. Their electric selection is dismal, but they have some niiiiiiice acoustics.

• Members

ok you can buy from gc or mf..but how many people here have heard the expression you get what you pay for..you get and overproduced guitar that everyone in the neighborhood has at rock bottom prices. why well I dont know about you guys but down here there a huge gap in the quality of good between what mom and pop gets and what gc gets. take a good look at the inventory.
if I want a cheap beater i go to gc..i want a better quality guitar that i dont have to do anything to, i hit guitar and banjo and a&s because i get a lifetime setup and it doesnt matter how petty my complaint is they fix it on the spot with no lip. i pay 5% more but its worth it

• Members

Andy's guitars does have a great selection and nice guys to deal with. The guy on Lafayette street is a douche bag. After buying two guitars from him I was in his store at closing time with my son. He says if your not going to buy something you need to leave its six oclock and I'm closing. Guitar Center on the other hand has a manager named Paxton?? whos a helluva nice guy.

Archived