this is why i cant stand my local mom and pop

fuzzylogic220

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The M&P stores are getting crushed because they don't have the buying power of the big retailers. For example, here's a little known fact: when Fender raised their prices across the board earlier this year they raised the wholesale price the M&Ps pay for their gear. When Fender had to back down on their increases because their sales tanked, they just reduced the MAP price and left the wholesale price where it was. That raised Fender's margins and cut the M&Ps margins even thinner.

I have a good friend who runs a very decent M&P store and he's struggling. There are a few other local M&Ps that I visit now and then and they are also struggling. Not even GC is carrying the kind of stock they used to so the economy is hurting everyone.

If you have a local M&P where you can buy gear and that you have a positive relationship with, would you rather see them stay in business or would you prefer to save a buck on a pack of strings and let the big corporate guy win? For me, I get more out of my buddy's store than I ever spend there just by being able to go and hang out and play. And I get great prices on gear too. It is an easy choice for me.

What somebody/some company needs to do, is a simlar thing to a distro deal that lots of indiependant labels have with majors. Distribution!! Start a company and strike a deal with fender to say you will buy 5000 strats for instance. Then they will offer a huge discount, then your company takes say 5% and passes the rest onto a few mom and pop stores.

The 2 things that mean GC can sell at that price is that they do that, and can take a loss on a certain more expensive guitar, because they can make that back and more on accessories or on cheaper guitars where the margin is more.

For instance, you put a Fender Strat on offer, $300-$400 less than the recommended price.

Customer see's that, like the fact its less, comes in and plays it. Sales guy offers them to play the equivalent Squier etc, which has a higher profit margin. The customer isn't a guitar geek and likes the fit and finish and playability of the squier, and in the shop through the expensive amp, can't really tell the difference, and walks out the door with the squier, a strap, a gigbag, possibly the pedal they were playing through too!

They do it with cars all the time!

• Members

What somebody/some company needs to do, is a simlar thing to a distro deal that lots of indiependant labels have with majors. Distribution!! Start a company and strike a deal with fender to say you will buy 5000 strats for instance. Then they will offer a huge discount, then your company takes say 5% and passes the rest onto a few mom and pop stores.

The 2 things that mean GC can sell at that price is that they do that, and can take a loss on a certain more expensive guitar, because they can make that back and more on accessories or on cheaper guitars where the margin is more.

For instance, you put a Fender Strat on offer, $300-$400 less than the recommended price.

Customer see's that, like the fact its less, comes in and plays it. Sales guy offers them to play the equivalent Squier etc, which has a higher profit margin. The customer isn't a guitar geek and likes the fit and finish and playability of the squier, and in the shop through the expensive amp, can't really tell the difference, and walks out the door with the squier, a strap, a gigbag, possibly the pedal they were playing through too!

They do it with cars all the time!

they do this already. Musicorp, Harris Teller, Tone King, Lou Capece, even Squier has its own distributorship. its not like M&Ps are buying direct from most manufacturers. why do you think you see so many low-line Deans? they're sold through Musicorp.

• Members

yeah {censored} local businesses you need a walmart that sells guitars

at least id get a hassle free return policy :) Im just saying, they could do better. I get the majority of my stuff from two M&P's but they are an hour and half away.

riks music in knoxville tn, and Willcutt Guitar Shoppe in lexington ky.

if your ever in lexington ky , go to willcutts you wont be disapointed, great prices as well.

http://www.willcuttguitars.com/

• Members

something is wrong with that deal because thats is an 1800 guitar no matter where you go and there is no way g/c are anyone can sell it for less than 1800 and still make anything off it. g/c want 1599 for a maple neck and 1750 rosewood and dont offer the ebony. have you really looked at the local mom pops' guitar?

• Members

ok you can buy from gc or mf..but how many people here have heard the expression you get what you pay for..you get and overproduced guitar that everyone in the neighborhood has at rock bottom prices. why well I dont know about you guys but down here there a huge gap in the quality of good between what mom and pop gets and what gc gets. take a good look at the inventory.

if I want a cheap beater i go to gc..i want a better quality guitar that i dont have to do anything to, i hit guitar and banjo and a&s because i get a lifetime setup and it doesnt matter how petty my complaint is they fix it on the spot with no lip. i pay 5% more but its worth it

you are one lucky dude to have a store that will set up the guitar free for life. The local M&Ps around here are crapshoots at best:facepalm:. Either the owner smokes inside, buys crappy "reliced" gibsons and sells them for full price, or sells them for MSRP. Go try out guitars at M&P then buy it at MF or GC get free shipping and save a couple of hundred on it:thu:

• Members

damn, some of you people need to move back into civilization.

and just because you buy online does not mean you have to patronize MF. there many reputable dealers that will ship to you and cost less than the big box warehouses. and you'll get a better guitar too.

I guess this is targeted at me? OH well so who are these dealers that you speak of?

• Members

Mom and Pop stores around me a major hit or misses. For a while we didn't have any big box music stores around us, the closest Sam Ash was about an hour away, so the mom and pop store gouged their prices. I'm talking $450 for a Squire Affinity Strat from them. Plus they were dicks.

Than another one opened up a little further away that would cut deals and had some pretty cool gear, not a lot of high end stuff but a lot of used. Plus they were a parts dealer, they sold bodies and necks and had boxes of pickups you could poke around it. They got a lot of my business.

I just stopped by another place down the street from my new apartment, they're a Gibson and Fender Custom Shop dealer....{censored}ing awesome gear....I can't afford it right now, but its sweet to look at. But they charged me $9 for a pack of Ernie Balls.:facepalm:

• Members

But they charged me $9 for a pack of Ernie Balls.
:facepalm:

WOW...YOU KIDDING RIGHT!!!! I pay 4bux a pack. yeah that would be an epic rip off. ok I guess I am lucky to live where i live. i hear these horror stories all the time and other senior pecker head with the band instruments ive never had a bad experiences with the mom and pops down here. I actually get allot of my new gear cheaper from the mom and pops by paying cash money than i can from any of the warehouse stores. i get the same deal in la and central texas too.

• Members

I guess this is targeted at me? OH well so who are these dealers that you speak of?

i've bought two guitars online. my PRS Custom 24 i custom ordered from Willcutt Guitars, and waited 4 months for. at the time, given options i was looking at, most dealers were charging $1850 or more. Willcutt sold it to me for $1700. the second was my blueburst Rickenbacker 330. i paid $1350 from Pick of the Ricks, which was the going rate if you could find one. each one is top notch. i don't think i could find a better guitar for 2 or 3 times the price, from any manufacturer.

as i said in another thread, i also buy from Tonefactor and AxeandYouShallReceive. i have yet to buy from JustStrings, but i would absolutely buy from them if i were getting charged list from my local dealer too.

• Members

i've bought two guitars online. my PRS Custom 24 i custom ordered from Willcutt Guitars, and waited 4 months for. at the time, given options i was looking at, most dealers were charging $1850 or more. Willcutt sold it to me for $1700. the second was my blueburst Rickenbacker 330. i paid $1350 from Pick of the Ricks, which was the going rate if you could find one. each one is top notch. i don't think i could find a better guitar for 2 or 3 times the price, from any manufacturer.

as i said in another thread, i also buy from Tonefactor and AxeandYouShallReceive. i have yet to buy from JustStrings, but i would absolutely buy from them if i were getting charged list from my local dealer too.

I have bought three guitars online from mf and have gotten anywhere from &150-$1300 off them. Ive bought two amps from from a local 5 store chain called Railroad Bazaar.they sell most of there stuff cheaper then MF but with tax on guitars it ends up being more. I but things on sale so it doesnt matter to me where I shop but around here the M&Ps are crap... I wish it was different though:)

• Members

The M&P stores here in Cola., SC suck. Some carry nice stuff but just about everything is at list price. I wish we would get a Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Best Buy, etc. I never buy anything locally except maybe picks. I can get anything cheaper online, no taxes, free shipping on most things, and most of the big online stores let you return it for a full refund if you don't like it within a reasonable time. If I bought a guitar at my local m&p store and wanted to return it a week or two later because I just didn't like it, they would tell me no refunds.

• Members

I have had a great experience with my local M&P shop. I traded some pedals for another pedal years ago, they found obscure racking devices for me and didn't charge extra for the service, and their stuff is always reasonably priced.

Since I started teaching there three years ago, it has been even better. The people treat me with respect and kindness, plus I get a discount on music equipment and a credit line, even though I only work a few hours a week there. I also had unexpected discounts on other things (such as my PA speakers I bought a few months back).

My ire is more directed towards pawn shops. Those used to be the places where you could find a gem lost in the muck of other old junk, much like you can at a garage or rummage sale. Those days are long gone. One local pawn shop has had the same guitars and bass guitars on their wall since I moved here five years ago!! Not ONE of them have been sold. Why? Because they have outrageous prices. People are smart enough to know the prices they want aren't worth it and so the old junk stays and gets dusty, forever part of the woodwork...

Archived