this is why i cant stand my local mom and pop

fuzzylogic220

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The reason I don't really mind GC is that I remember how awfull the majority of "Mom and Pop" stores were.

The couple small stores that treated people right are still open and doing well.

The ones that sold at List (not MAP, but LIST) are all gone.

I remember three or four Strats (black, white, red and burst) MAYBE a Tele.

Want something different? 10% down (non-refundable) special order (at LIST) and a 6 - ? month wait. Don't like it when it comes in? Tough.

• Members

i teach at an M&P. you can't compete with GC, not even on the Strat packs. its all lessons, rentals, and repairs. lessons keep the doors open. rentals keep the school kids coming to you, and maybe taking lessons. repairs, especially guitar and amp repairs, keep the local bands coming in to buy accessories. fill out the niches the big guys simply can't do.

• Members

I guess I am so lucky to have an amazing local store. It is very small place dealing in mostly (reasonably priced) vintage stuff & custom built guitars & amps. They will match any price I find if I find a cheaper price & are a WEALTH of information. Plus their repairs & setups are better than any place I have ever been. They are an Electro Haromonix, Pigtronix and George L dealer, so I can actually get a lot of pedals that I cannot find anywhere else at the cheapest price (in fact they give me a discount because I frequent there so much! They told me they'd sell me the new EHx Cathedral for $199 instead of the $214 everywhere else).

I am a lucky boy!

• Members

unfortunately the guitar and amp manufacturers don't have the same kind of price regulation that manufacturers like Monster Cables and such have. They require any store, no matter how big or small to sell for the same price. At least that's what I've been told by friends who work at a local mid sized music store (Seminole Music and Sound in Seminole, FL).

They have a few items that are regulated like that, but it all seems to be small stuff. Well, compared to guitars and amp prices anyway.

I suppose if everything were regulated like that there'd be no incentive to become a big warehouse type store in the first place.

• Members

The M&P stores are getting crushed because they don't have the buying power of the big retailers. For example, here's a little known fact: when Fender raised their prices across the board earlier this year they raised the wholesale price the M&Ps pay for their gear. When Fender had to back down on their increases because their sales tanked, they just reduced the MAP price and left the wholesale price where it was. That raised Fender's margins and cut the M&Ps margins even thinner.

I have a good friend who runs a very decent M&P store and he's struggling. There are a few other local M&Ps that I visit now and then and they are also struggling. Not even GC is carrying the kind of stock they used to so the economy is hurting everyone.

If you have a local M&P where you can buy gear and that you have a positive relationship with, would you rather see them stay in business or would you prefer to save a buck on a pack of strings and let the big corporate guy win? For me, I get more out of my buddy's store than I ever spend there just by being able to go and hang out and play. And I get great prices on gear too. It is an easy choice for me.

• Members

Most of the equipment I've purchased in my life has been from Mom and Pops. What's more I always got a better deal from them I could at any of 48th Street shops, including Sam Ash. I used to get 35 - 40% off at the stores I went to (mostly 40%). Now the prices are even more inflated and the stores and manufacturers are in collusion and all agree on 25% that we're supposed to be good with? You can't advertise lower and I've heard that if you sell lower than the big stores you run the risk of losing your dealership privileges...WTF is THAT all about.

Fortunately I'm very pleased with the equipment I have amassed. My Amp is 15 years old and my "newest" guitar is seven years old. Most of what I've got I acquired between 1990 and 1997. I look back at it as golden era for quality, variety, versatility, and price for American made guitars. And the Japan had basically equaled the quality at a better price point. Now you get too many companies starting import lines as much as reason to increase the price of the US made stuff as it is to provide an affordable import version of their guitars.

• Members

If you have a local M&P where you can buy gear and that you have a positive relationship with, would you rather see them stay in business or would you prefer to save a buck on a pack of strings and let the big corporate guy win? For me, I get more out of my buddy's store than I ever spend there just by being able to go and hang out and play. And I get great prices on gear too. It is an easy choice for me.

I think the proliferation of Walmart answers this question when it comes to the purchasing philosophy of the average American consumer. I bought one instrument at GC because they were the only folks that had it. I wished I bought a different one from a local store, not too long after. I'm all about the M&P music store, where the owners are the sales staff and they have a wealth knowledge about the gear they sell and music in general.

I've had salespeople talk me into buying "lesser" gear because they knew the basic or "standard" version was just as good and often better than the "deluxe" or "custom" or signature, etc. When some manufacturers started charging for cases, they'd give them to you because they saw as part of your right when you shell out hundreds of dollars for a guitar. As a kid, the M&Ps helped me get over focusing on the aesthetics of an instrument appreciate the sound. They knew how to make a customer for life and how to treat them. And since they all couldn't carry every brand, I got to spread my love around. One place had G&L and another had Ibanez, so I got the guitars I wanted from where they were available and bought more from each store.

Archived