edsel.jpg

ccrp_0805_01_z+1958_ford_edsel+junkyard_

58edsel42.jpg

I present you with my latest Gibson acquisition

newguitarday001-1.jpg

newguitarday002.jpg

Somewhat offensive glandular disorder looking, but rather light servo tuners

newguitarday003.jpg

the guitar seems to be only sightly neck heavy with these when balanced on my knee. I will do some A/B-ing later on for comparison, but it's certainly not neck heavy enough to be an issue.

newguitarday004.jpg

^ My initial thoughts on these was that you lose a tone knob - not so - once it's pushed back in, it returns to being a tone knob.

I actually got this 8 days ago. I just finally got around to figuring out how to charge it up and it was actually a bit stressful. There's a certain order of connecting a power unit to the charging unit to the cord already plugged into the guitar, with the "MCK" in the right position that must be followed or nothing happens - and you have to start the sequence over again. But I must admit, once I got there - it was fun. As new strings on a guitar settle in, having this guitar do that work for me several times in the first 15 minutes of play or so was kinda neat. I'm going to eventually get around to trying some open tuning settings.

If the whole system collapses, you simply pull out the tuner stems to disengage and then it works like any other Les Paul Studio. It also comes with a Neutrik locking input jack. It would have been nice though if Gibson had given me some instructions on that piece since I had to guess at how to disconnect, and had written better instructions on how to charge up the guitar - what lights will come on, etc.

But so far, that's my only bitch.

This guitar is from 2008 and was blown out by Sam Ash for Gibson for $999.99

Even Edsels were eventually collectible. ;)

• Members

I like the tone of the natural finish. HNGD

- w

Thanks,

I was going to get a desert burst, in fact, that color choice was part of my initial motivation - i.e. that and the price.

But by the time I got home and spoke with the chancellor (wife) the desert bursts were already gone. By then I was hooked on the notion so wine red was it! ;)

But now I'm wonder - get a B/W/B/W/B LP Custom pg, go naked, or leave as it?

• Members

Happy NGD!

SexyRobot.jpg

Most apropos titty pic for a Robot Gibson. :thu:

That's for positives guys.

Anybody have any thoughts about whether a B/W/B/W/B LP Custom pg would add a little more definition to this guitar or just look out of place?

• Members

I like it! Nice price .... I say lose the pickguard, but that's just me
:thu:

Ooh, I see I was missing one response on that one. Thanks. That's sort of where I'm leaning at this moment. Just need to find a little bit o red coloring for the screw holes.

• Members

It
needs
a metallic silver pick guard to look more robotish.

Yowser! Or something that looks like the printed circuitry on the bottom of the hardware on these things.

robot-stoptail.jpg

(stock photo)

Look at this - early legion of robots about to be unleashed on an unwary public

:eek::eek:

gibson-robot-guitar-274x381.jpg

• Members

Nicely done!

I love Edsels, there's something beautiful in their very ugliness; they look like a decasdent Western automobile as designed by Stalin as a Workers' Limosine. :) Like all US cars of the period, though, they'r thirsty feckers, and I could never get used to lhd, :lol:

Good deal on the robot. I'd go non-pg, but that I always thought the pickguards on LPs were really cheap looking, lessened the guitar somehow, and they always get in the way of my playing.

• Members

Nicely done!

I love Edsels, there's something beautiful in their very ugliness; they look like a decasdent Western automobile as designed by Stalin as a Workers' Limosine.
:)
Like all US cars of the period, though, they'r thirsty feckers, and I could never get used to lhd,
:lol:

Good deal on the robot. I'd go non-pg, but that I always thought the pickguards on LPs were really cheap looking, lessened the guitar somehow, and they always get in the way of my playing.

Thanks -

Regarding the pickguards, I used to feel the opposite, like they looked naked without them. But with these plain black ones on solid colors, I was tending to agree with you on this one. I just doesn't seem to add much. At least that was my initial feeling at first blush on this guitar, i.e. "meh".

Archived