Rather see a new body shape or classic?

Rose Pickups

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you're asking an internet forum for advice on your business plan, you've got bigger problems than the design of your products.

That said, best of luck to you with your business.

Most defintely not. We already produce guitars for resale. We have designed a new guitar, but I wanted to speak with my peers, and online friends. Your input is more important than someone who doesn't play.

• Members

Ever hear of the HARM series of guitars from Rondomusic? I think they do fairly well with those guitars.

Wanna guess where that design came from?

I have absolutely. I love Kurts guitars. I signed up way back when to advertise for him with his commission plans. Most of the guitars I have purchased from Kurt are great.

When I started winding pickups, going legit and getting a license, permit, etc, it opened up the flood gates to manufacturers which allowed my brother and I to explore the possibiilty of creating guitars, which is a dream come true. We sell to 2 stores only, but we want to sell from our Rose Pickups site as well.

• Members

Dude. I have a design I built a while back, and when i had the build thread everyone seemed to really like the design.

If you want it, you can use it. I'd just be proud to have my design out there, and you could always send me a free one :p

I could ship you my original mock up if you wanted.

It looks like this

haha.jpg

booya.jpg

I was working on a pickguard for it too. It looked awesome with it. It was along the lines of a thinline tele's guard.

• Members

I love traditional Vs. If it wasn't for some challenges to conventions though, there would be no gorgeous Randy Rhoads or super V (Jackon KV) designs.

That said, I can't recall a new V body design I don't find underwhelming, disappointing, or hideous. As such, I don't know which that makes me. :idk:

• Members

It's a difficult call, really. I go with new - I love seeing somebod do something new with guitar desgin, even if i hate the end product.... ffs, if it was all as conservative and staid back in the 50s as it is now, then we wouldn't have those great 50s solid body designs that are so revered, fetishised, even, today.

You casnnot patent a name - it's not designed for that. You're thinking of trade mark.

• Members

Personally, at the level of competition which exists now you have to have something which uniquely identifies you as a brand. Companies have taken the traditional designs and given them both the high end and low end treatment to the nth degree. In order to compete, you really need something unique. that being said, guitarists in general are a fickle and insecure bunch which do not like to stray too far outside the norm.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your guys new design. If it's affordable, I'd love to give it a spin as well...

• Members

Personally, at the level of competition which exists now you have to have something which uniquely identifies you as a brand. Companies have taken the traditional designs and given them both the high end and low end treatment to the nth degree. In order to compete, you really need something unique. that being said, guitarists in general are a fickle and insecure bunch which do not like to stray too far outside the norm.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your guys new design. If it's affordable, I'd love to give it a spin as well...

How about that new graphite guitar that got us all hot and bothered a few weeks back? It was a new design and built with non traditional materials. Seems quite a few of us were interested.

Tough for a start up to get decent distribution going though.

• Members
Dude. I have a design I built a while back, and when i had the build thread everyone seemed to really like the design.

If you want it, you can use it. I'd just be proud to have my design out there, and you could always send me a free one
:p

It looks like this

haha.jpg

booya.jpg

I was working on a pickguard for it too. It looked awesome with it. It was along the lines of a thinline tele's guard.

Thats slick looking!

• Members

New body shape, the last thing the already over saturated guitar market needs is another strat, tele, lp, etc knock off. IMO

Unless you want it to actually sell. If your goal is to move product, then stick with what works. If you want to reinvent the wheel, expect resistance to new, unproven ideas. It's sad, but it's life..

• Members

Rose, I'm a designer (tires, mostly ATV) and I'm faced with this problem all the time. People want what they know, and they fear that which they don't. I've done my job when I can give them both. Sounds {censored}ed up, I know, but it's not. I often take an existing design (my own, I don't steal designs from other people) and add a few radical touches to it.

So how does this help you? Take those tired and widely accepted traditional designs and shake them up a bit. Don't go stupid, like Dean did with their take on the Les Paul:

caddilac.jpg

But something a bit less OUT THERE would prbably be a welcome change. Look at what PRS and Carvin have done with the traditional Les Paul concept. They did a professional looking make-over of a traditional design and they've sold tons of them.

• Members

If you want it, you can use it. I'd just be proud to have my design out there, and you could always send me a free one
:p

It looks like this

haha.jpg

booya.jpg

That's pretty nice..Except for EMG's :D

No but Rose, you have to build, quality, solid, reliable instruments, for a cheaper price, to compete with the edge of the market. I love this body shape I almost bought one (just giving ideas...) fernandes_ravelle_elite_08.jpg

• Members
Rose, I'm a designer (tires, mostly ATV) and I'm faced with this problem all the time.
People want what they know, and they fear that which they don't. I've done my job when I can give them both
. Sounds {censored}ed up, I know, but it's not. I often take an existing design (my own, I don't steal designs from other people) and add a few radical touches to it.

So how does this help you? Take those tired and widely accepted traditional designs and shake them up a bit.
Don't go stupid, like Dean did with their take on the Les Paul:

caddilac.jpg

But something a bit less OUT THERE would prbably be a welcome change. Look at what PRS and Carvin have done with the traditional Les Paul concept. They did a professional looking make-over of a traditional design and they've sold tons of them.

Great point, except i actually like that Dean :rolleyes:- well not the headstock... man i hate that headstock! :mad:

• Members
hey aren't you supposed to be writing an essay or something
:cop:

lol.

nah, just brainstorming my outline right now.. First draft isn't due till Nov. 1, final is due a week after that. I got plenty of time to bull{censored}, considering the outline is 90% complete and about 25% fleshed out already.

Archived