Rather see a new body shape or classic?

Rose Pickups

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So that is the issue. Make guitars that already exist, and get called boring, or try to come up with something new and face the resistance that change brings.

There ya go! :thu:

But I have the distinct advantage(?) of not caring what's popular or not in the market. Selling guitars was never my intent in designing them, I just created things I liked to look at and showed them to others who like electric guitars...somebody besides me decided to build some of them to sell.

It's pretty much been a 'labor of love' as far as I'm concerned, I've never made a nickel doing it and have no reason to think I ever will...but then, I have nothing invested in any of them but some fairly enjoyable time spent creating them.

I'll agree with the others on this thread who've mentioned Reverend's tallent at 'tweaking' a design just enough to give it a distinct character without going entirely out into left field with it.

• Members

I appreciate everyone who's shared their opinion. It is good info. I make strat copies already, and thats cool, but there really is too much competition. They can be had for less, and as stated earlier, mine are a slight upgrade to a traditional made in China strat, but that upgrade falls on deaf ears when the new customer has no idea what the differences do. I.E., the mom or dad that comes in wanting to get their child a guitar for the first time, when there are 2 no names lets say, to choose from, and they look the same, but one costs less, who gets that business? We have designed a new body, its a double cut, will be offered in a flat body and a carved, in 4 different styles. I hope it is a hit. One thing is for sure, it is not a Fender or a Gibson, etc... It will be recognizable hopefully as a New Dawn Guitar.

• Members

That's pretty nice..Except for EMG's
:D

No but Rose, you have to build, quality, solid, reliable instruments, for a cheaper price, to compete with the edge of the market. I love this body shape I almost bought one (just giving ideas...)
fernandes_ravelle_elite_08.jpg

I loved the surf green one of those they did - I'd have been tempted, though back to the same old, same old - no lefties.

• Members

They can be had for less, and as stated earlier, mine are a slight upgrade to a traditional made in China strat, but that upgrade falls on deaf ears when the new customer has no idea what the differences do. I.E., the mom or dad that comes in wanting to get their child a guitar for the first time, when there are 2 no names lets say, to choose from, and they look the same, but one costs less, who gets that business? .

Good point.

My non musician friends can't understand how a 'plain Jane' Gibson Melody Maker can cost five times more than a shiny, new $99 Squier bullet strat.

Rondo music has done well with the same philosophy and with the risk of getting flamed (from Agile, SX and Douglas lovers), maybe the competition could benefit guitar players who can't afford 'name brand' headstocks. BTW, how much are your guitars?

• Members

Good point.

My non musician friends can't understand how a 'plain Jane' Gibson Melody Maker can cost five times more than a shiny, new $99 Squier bullet strat.

Rondo music has done well with the same philosophy and with the risk of getting flamed (from Agile, SX and Douglas lovers), maybe the competition could benefit guitar players who can't afford 'name brand' headstocks. BTW, how much are your guitars?

Agreed. The New Dawn Iconic is 199, the Visionary is 349, and our Signature style is being built right now. It will come in 3 styles, Vintage flat top, modern flat top, and signature carved. All the same shape though, so we are hoping it becomes known as a New Dawn.

• Members

I like cool shapes and traditional shapes. I wish I didn't have to sell my neck thru Jackson rhodes model but I did. I had a Gibson Explorer too, but the neck was like a baseball bat. I''d like a Jackson Kelly or better ye, one of them new Neck thru LTD Explorer types.

I've always guitars are like womins:

* Cuvry shapes

* respond to touch

* can be kind or a total bitch

That said, I've had some pretty "out there" shaped guitars.

Guess that sez a lot 'bout some of the womins been with.

• Members

I really always like a new shape to a guitar, but it has to be tasteful. It seems new shapes are always some stunted form of one that came before. It needs classic lines and curves. The problem is...that's a pretty tall order for it to have proper proportions and look classic. I'm afraid I can't really answer the question as to what you should do.

Archived