Rather see a new body shape or classic?

Rose Pickups

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I noticed you guys last week and went poking around the Rose Pickups site. It seems like you've got some nice stuff and all, but I didn't really see why I would pick Rose over anybody else. That's a problem. You need to make a case for what differentiates you from the competition, and a new body style helps an awful lot in doing that.

P.S. Might want to consider sound clips.

• Members

Like the new Reverend Sensei. It seems like an old style, but yet it's a different take...kinda. I personally don't like really bizarre styles or shapes made just to show how clever a luthier is or whatever. I like something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to play....my playing alone is embarrassing enough :D.

Here is the new Reverend, in case some haven't seen it:

20091020-rd83mdd8bbwdi16hddj1uf23fr.jpg

• Members

I noticed you guys last week and went poking around the Rose Pickups site. It seems like you've got some nice stuff and all, but I didn't really see
why
I would pick Rose over anybody else. That's a problem. You need to make a case for what differentiates you from the competition, and a new body style helps an awful lot in doing that.

P.S. Might want to consider sound clips.

I completely agree. The reason why I bring it up is because currently we only sell to a local mom and pop, and thats all good, but we have competition with a cheaper guitar. Even though our strats are mahogany, its not enough to get that first time buyer to pay slightly more for a guitar that looks the same. Hence the problem. So we have designed a new style that we are very excited about. We started a prototype and when that arrives we should go into bigger production. A signature style with variation if you will

• Members

When some open says "New body" shape..To me It dosent mean just taking a strat or tele or SG,etc..and slightly changing a couple angles and curves..It means something new that has never been done before..Theres nothing new out there..Just strat,teles,Les Pauls,etc.. ...For example that Reverend in previous post..Theres nothing new about that...A double cutaway ..Wow..never saw that before..

• Members

When some open says "New body" shape..To me It dosent mean just taking a strat or tele or SG,etc..and slightly changing a couple angles and curves..It means something new that has never been done before..Theres nothing new out there..Just strat,teles,Les Pauls,etc.. ...For example that Reverend in previous post..Theres nothing new about that...A double cutaway ..Wow..never saw that before..

Didn't say it was "new"...said it was a bit different. A different take on something. No some drastic alien thing, but...different.

I guess for you personally if you see a double cutaway, you've seen them all. :rolleyes:

But here you go, here's a guitar for you...jam away!

esp-triryche-guitar.jpg

Oops, that's just a double cutaway also. What was I thinking. Here:

3354860152_a8dbe5f0ce_o.jpg

Nope, same old design there also. :mad:

Here we go:

weird-guitars.jpg

• Members

Creating something "new and different" might seem easy, but if you look at what the typical buyer wants, it is most always the same old, same old. You can make a body shape that looks like nothing else, and most players will be uninterested because it doesn't look like something else.

If you take the basic strat, LP, SG, tele, etc and really examine them closely, there are ways each could be improved on in subtle ways. They would most likely still be very similiar to the original, but now with design changes that actually improve the guitar and not just make it a little different.

Some examples would be a belly cut on the back of a tele and LP. Increased upper-fret access on an lp. Reposition the pickup selector on the lp so it is part of the flow of playing, rather than having to reach up and away from the area of the guitar where your right hand is normally positioned during playing.

Carved-top strat or tele would be cool. More pickup switching capabilities with not only combinations of on-board pickups, but series/parallel and frequency response control. I have a Benford strat with a mini-toggle that slightly rolls off highs on all pickups. Simple, but very, very useful.

Variable blend controls to not just add two pickups together, but control how much of each pickup you hear.

On a strat, roll the edges of the guitar differently along the body edges, rather than the consistent roll that is common from top/back to the sides.

• Members

The thing to bear in mind with this research is that you are not getting a very randomly distributed cross section of the electric guitar playing population. The main people who will look at and answer this thread, will be those who look for new and innovative body shapes. The traditionalists are much less likely to click on it.

As well as that, relatively few people want to admit that they are conservative in this regard.

If you want to sell guitars, you are probably better off going for a shape that is recognisable, and on the side of traditional.

• Members

I own two Fender Strats and one Gibson Les Paul, but I like anything that is well built and aesthetically designed, hence I like PRS and Parker too. Maybe they'll join the stable someday.

I detest Big Hair Band Guitars, BC Rich's, Flying Vs of any sort or anything too ugly to make me puke. And there are plenty of those out there.

• Members

I own two Fender Strats and one Gibson Les Paul, but I like anything that is well built and aesthetically designed, hence I like PRS and Parker too. Maybe they'll join the stable someday.

I detest Big Hair Band Guitars, BC Rich's, Flying Vs of any sort or anything too ugly to make me puke. And there are plenty of those out there.

They always seem like just a big slab of wood cut into some weird shape, with ugly headstock and gaudy paint schemes.

• Members

Kind of tough. I think a mistake companies make is they take an old design and tweak it just a bit, then it just looks like a goofy Tele or whatever. Or they go the opposite and try to reinvent the wheel and then you have a Wangcaster.

Something inbetween a retarded Tele and a Wangcaster would be cool.

• Members

I think more than anything what I look for is a well built guitar at a lower cost to me.

I'm not talking about $100 les paul style guitars from china specifically or $69 telecasters or strats. No, I am talking about $500-$1000 for a guitar with an OFR, good pups and a good look to it. Something that plays well and looks good. Hard tails that look nice with great tone.

I think most of us prefer neck through or set neck guitars with a good finish and the hardware/electronics we don't have to immediately yank out and replace.

• Members

If you're asking an internet forum for advice on your business plan, you've got bigger problems than the design of your products.

That said, best of luck to you with your business.

Not sure the question is about their business plan, but about what kind of product YOU want. Since it is YOU that might buy it, it's nice to know they're actually concerned about what YOU want.

Some companies just do what THEY want and then YOU don't want it.

Isn't it nice to know someone actually cares about YOU for a change?

Archived