Make your own picks

scolfax

• Members

Maybe they will make a Dunlop Jazz III shape punch. I've been using them for a while now. Also where is there a source for blank sheets of tortex matierial? Ultex material would be great to have as well.

Pretty sure Ultex/Ultem has to be molded; I don't think you can die-cut it with satisfactory results. Same with Jazzz III's (whether the nylon ones or the Ultex ones).

• Members

Gryphon stringed instruments in Palo Alto has (or at least had, last time I went there) a free-standing punch press (operated by pedal) from an old factory that produced picks. I would bring in a stack of old credit cards and other materials and punch a few picks. It's pretty cool, and if this thing is similar, pretty useful (although I always filed the edges a bit to smooth them.) I agree the price is a bit high, but I'll bet there's a market.

• Members

It doesn't look substantial enough to punch cleanly for anything thicker than a credit card, so it looks to me like you'd be limited to medium gauge at most.

I agree, which makes it useless to me. They should make a die set that fits to a drill press so you can punch heavier materials.

• Members
I'd probably lose it.

Probably do more damage than a pick tumbling around in the drier, too. :facepalm:

Cool idea, though, for someone wanting to make custom picks to hand out, or toss to the crowds at gigs. With the band logo, or company logo on them. :thu:

• Members

I've made decent flatpicks from spent chlorine bleach bottles in the past. They worked best with acoustic guitars, though.

Otherwise, I have to have those fancy medium heavy Dunlop Tortex picks these days just to function at all it seems! I've changed.

• Members

Then how the feck do you play the guitar? :poke:

I just traced these out from one of my picks onto some of my iTune cards and cut them out with a pair of scissors but they are a bit too thick for my taste. I need to shape them a bit more.

Archived