Suhr Releases Budget Guitar Brand

Lex.Luthier

• Members

$1332 USD
:eek:
Thats budget!?

Ha! I didnt realize the page horizontally scrolled so I'm only seeing that now. Yikes though! For that price I could prob pickup a second hand Suhr.

Edit: In all fairness, its got Suhr Pickups, a Gotoh 510 bridge (same bridge as the USA Suhrs) and a PLEK fretjob. Providing the body/neck are made to US Suhr specs and the QC is top notch they should be as nice as the real deals.

• Members

$1332 USD
:eek:
Thats budget!?

As I began reading the site, I thought, "Ah jeeze another Asian import to compete with the hundred others". But at that price, I think Suhr is competing with himself (the used Suhr guitars).

I guess the street price on something like that would be around $1150? We're not talking about going up against G&L's Tribute series--maybe real G & L's.

I wish him luck, but I have grave doubts about the marketability of this new line.

• Members

You do realize that $1332 is a MSRP, right?

So the street price will probably come in around $700 ish (just a guess). That makes it comparable in price to other top end imported guitars from major companies like ESP LTD etc. Compared to a Suhr, that works. Well below any of their new prices including the Pro Series, and below any used prices too.

John Suhr is a pretty serious guitar builder and its clear he has certain standards - plekking, weight tolerances on the wood, etc. So if your view of budget is Squier, no, this isn't it. But relative to Suhr it is, and I would imagine these would stack up quite well with other guitars in the sub-$1000 bracket.

• Members

Rasmus? Could they have picked a stranger name (well yeah, aliensporebomb guitars would come to mind).

But yeah, a little spendy for an import. Let's check one out though.

You may be asking why the name Rasmus? It is a name derived from John Suhr's real Danish family name, Rasmussen that has a root name of Rasmus.

er....ok

• Members

If Suhr techs are plek-ing, and doing final setups in house... and if they're using similar electronics, bridges and such... I don't care if the CNC machine is in asia somewhere.

If they're near Suhr quality... I'd be very interested in trying one...

It's probably about the price of an Fender American Standard.

But could be a lot more guitar.

... for me, it would probably be a "gateway drug" to a US made Suhr. :D

M

• Members

msrp is that far off. street value is a little over a grand. one of the local shop just started selling em.

they're actually supposed to be pretty good guitars. after the whole blade incident im waiting to play one before i buy one, but they only get a couple at a time and they're pretty much sold before they hit the floor. i look at it this way if they're selling that fast at a little over a grand a pop, it means people like em.

• Members

I think I might actually do the $999 price if the guitars are plek'd and have GOOD fretwork. I realize there are no guarantees here; but, it would be worth it to me to not have to deal with fret issues right out of the box.

USA pickups and a Gotoh bridge wouldn't hurt either!

• Members

least it doesn't have that awful overly flamed and quilted veneer tops like the "high" end Suhrs.

You mean like these?

g2_big.jpg

g10_big.jpg

g20_big.jpg

g39_big.jpg

All those boutique guys offer guitars that look pretty low-key. You have to remember that many of their guitars are custom orders, so many times when you see one that's over the top with flame or quilt, it's like that because that's what the customer wanted.

Archived