Suhr Releases Budget Guitar Brand

Lex.Luthier

• Members

You mean like these?

All those boutique guys offer guitars that look pretty low-key. You have to remember that many of their guitars are custom orders, so many times when you see one that's over the top with flame or quilt, it's like that because that's what the customer wanted.

Yeah those are nice. Most of the Suhrs I see aren't usually plain.

I don't know though. I'm just not convinced by suhr. I don't feel like they offer anything special for the prices they charge. It's CNC poly finished made in america and they charge like it's hand built. I'd take a Hahn over a suhr any day of the week. But what ever. If people are into them and want to pay 3 grand then cool.

• Members

Yeah those are nice. Most of the Suhrs I see aren't usually plain.

I don't know though. I'm just not convinced by suhr. I don't feel like they offer anything special for the prices they charge. It's CNC poly finished made in america and they charge like it's hand built. I'd take a Hahn over a suhr any day of the week. But what ever. If people are into them and want to pay 3 grand then cool.

I've never actually played a Suhr. I really can't see spending over about $1000 on a basic Strat or Tele style guitar.

• Moderators

I've never actually played a Suhr. I really can't see spending over about $1000 on a basic Strat or Tele style guitar.

I been looking at high end Strta pickups for a few weeks now and Suhrs figured in my lookin, and it does seem to me that what Suhr offer is just basically that, reworked Strats and Superstrtas at a lot of money.

$1000 is the very top that should happen for the very best in Stratness

• Members

From reading suhr's posts on tgp it seems like he is all about the technology of making guitars. So that means cnc, plek, vulcanized necks, buzz feiten, silent backplate systems etc. He's got the antique series, which is nitro/reliced, but I get the feeling he's not going for the old world handcrafted vibe most of the the time. It's high tech precision. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be expensive, to the contrary in fact. From everything you hear, he's got a loyal following and people love his guitars and rave about the quality. I've actually never played one, and I don't think they're quite my speed (I prefer the Hahn approach too), but it's obviously working for him.

I own two Suhrs, have actually gotten to spec one out at the factory with John him self (the strat) and I'm pretty excited about the new guitars. I'm going to NAMM in a few hours and Suhr will definitely be one of my first stops so I'll report back later this evening or tomorrow.

And as far as "too blingy" goes, these are mine:

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Suhr Classic

IMG_0947.jpg

• Members

$1000 is the very top that should happen for the very best in Stratness

I would like to think that is true, since a strat is a relative simple affair (as it was designed to be!). But while most of the 1000 range strats are pretty nice, my personal experience has been that the even more expensive ones are nicer. So maybe they "should" only cost 1000, but in the real world the very best ones don't.

• Moderators

I would like to think that is true, since a strat is a relative simple affair (as it was designed to be!). But while most of the 1000 range strats are pretty nice, my personal experience has been that the even more expensive ones are nicer. So maybe they "should" only cost 1000, but in the real world the very best ones don't.

Aaaah, that's why I used "should"

I think most of the Strat type builders/assemblers in this place have found that $1000 makes one hell of a 'Caster, with all the luxury bits like stainless frets, ebony boards, best vibrato and the best pickps and tuners.

I don't profess to entertain the retail arena when it comes to 'Casters, I don't see the point

• Members

If I'm going to spend that much I'd rather spend it on a USA made Carvin, particularly a C66.

You guys should check out Redunkle Guitars, Asian company covering the liscence for Picket Guitars. You can get one made in China for around $1000:thu:

Got a link? Google gives me nothing but referring back to this thread.

Archived