Has anyone listened to the Michael Angelo Batio solo CDs? Seriously?

Acid Test

• Members

After bashing him for the longest time based on the Nitro junk, I finally gave No Boundries and Planet Gemini a spin. Most people here, including myself, wouldn't care for the songs and balls out shred, but I have to admit I have never heard this level of technical compentency in a player.

• Members

I picked up the song "Hands Without Shadows" from iTunes. It's a cool enough song, worth my $0.99. Haven't listened to any of his whole albums, though, it's just not my favorite style. I like him in small doses, and he's put out some pretty good lessons.

+1.

I've heard his stuff, but can only take him in small doses.

That being said, I can't duplicate his playing or his style, and I respect him for that.

THAT being said, I don't think I'd want to try.

• Members

I'm using speed kills to help improve my technique and I really like his teaching approach. I think he keeps things very simple and easy to understand...like there is no great mystery in how he plays fast...just proper technique and a ton of practice.

As for his music...well...aside from the amazing talent...it's pretty weak in my opinion. To me like a lot of shredders he has trouble coming up with decent melodies. Not as bad as some guys but not great either.

No boundaries represents everything I love about good shred and hate about bad shred all in one song...but to be fair much of it is a vehicle to demonstrate some of the techniques he uses.

• Members

no. I don't like guitar music. MAB, although technically incredibly talented, is just waaay over the top and very unmusical to my ears.

I can probably count on one hand the number of instrumental rock guitar songs I really like. Can't really get into the genre. Even the top guys in the genre like vai and satch, I only like a couple of their songs.

In general, I'd rather stick my head in a metal trash can full of angry bees than listen to MAB tweedle.

• Members

When I want technical I would rather listen to Jim Hall or Pat Martino.

My old band opened for NITRO in 1992 (I think). It was at a crappy little club in Brockton, MA, I always forget the name of the place but it was someone's last name if I can remember I'll post it. They were really nice guys and gave us a copy of their tape.

MAB (this was before he married Batio, as he was just MA) was very nice. He was very upset because someone had stolen half of his guitar. I remember saying to the kid who played drums in my band, "How the F do you steal half a guitar?".

Later when I saw the video for Freight Train I understood. That big guitar came apart for transport. MA was pissed.

I always thought Jim Gillette was better in Tuff.

They put on a good show, it was sureal seeing them play in a biker bar though.

• Members

When I want technical I would rather listen to Jim Hall or Pat Martino.

My old band opened for NITRO in 1992 (I think). It was at a crappy little club in Brockton, MA, I always forget the name of the place but it was someone's last name if I can remember I'll post it. They were really nice guys and gave us a copy of their tape.

MAB (this was before he married Batio, as he was just MA) was very nice. He was very upset because someone had stolen half of his guitar. I remember saying to the kid who played drums in my band, "How the F do you steal half a guitar?".

Later when I saw the video for Freight Train I understood. That big guitar came apart for transport. MA was pissed.

I always thought Jim Gillette was better in Tough.

They put on a good show, it was sureal seeing them play in a biker bar though.

+1 for Pat Martino.

• Members

I've never heard any of his music, but it's weird how split the opinions on his personality are. Half think he's a douched while the other half say how nice a guy he is.

You have never heard NITRO? You have to watch the whole thing to see the genius of MAB

J1-aix3CqCc

• Members

Obviously an accomplished player and blows me out of the water, but man that guys is a douche.

And that's what hurts the most, getting blown out of the water by a douche
:cry:

I don't think he's a douche. Like another poster here, I was at one of his clinics (purely by coincidence) and he's a very nice, very humble guy. Didn't come off as a jerk to me at all.

• Members

imo, nitro was one of the bands that led to the ultimate demise of 80s/early 90s hair metal. They became a parody of all of the cool aspects of that music. Instead of focusing on musicality, it became a caricature of who could play the fastest and who could sing the highest notes.

• Members

I actually like a lot of his stuff. While there is a lot of his wankage on his records. He always has a few good standout tracks. My favorite song of his is called Full Force.

My guitar teacher has met him a couple times and says that he's very friendly.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have Hands Without Shadows release. Fun stuff seeing what he does to cover tunes and a couple of original tunes. I've had the chance to meet him a few times, always very polite and personable. The man really loves to play guitar, that's about what it comes down to. He has pretty amusing stories as well.

• Members

I bought No Boundaries when it first came out... I think it was his first CD or his first solo CD. Not terribly impressed with it though that was right about the time I started getting away from stuff like that. I was more of a first Malmsteen CD kinda guy. Then I started getting more into 'progressive shred' I guess... more like Pettrici and David Chastain who I had been into for a while.

To be honest, I've probably had 50 to 70 albums from 1984 - 1996 or so of this general type of music... guys that are unbelievably gifted technically, but I can't really stand to listen to that stuff for more than one or two songs at a sitting anymore.

Far from a hater, just not a lover any more. :idk:

• Members

I have to give the dude thumbs up for his tone there - I wouldn't call it quality tone but it beats most shredders' abysmal "max-gain-and-max-reverb-because-how-can-you-go-for-anything-other-than-max-unless-yer-gay" -tone. Still can't stand the music though. Impressed but bored so to speak.

Archived