Has anyone listened to the Michael Angelo Batio solo CDs? Seriously?

Acid Test

• Members

After bashing him for the longest time based on the Nitro junk, I finally gave No Boundries and Planet Gemini a spin. Most people here, including myself, wouldn't care for the songs and balls out shred, but I have to admit I have never heard this level of technical compentency in a player.

I've met him a couple of times. Usually shredder guys like that have reputations as being pompous dicks, but he was super cool every time.

I respect the guy, especially for the amount of {censored} that he gets. He obviously loves what he does, which is cool.

• Members

If that singer has kids now, I bet they tell their friends he spent the 80's in jail rather than tell them about this.

That singer's hair was totally goofy!

MAB - not only is he an incredible talent, he understands and can decipher the entire neck with modes, tones, chords and runs - he's an F'ing genius.

BTW - I;ve heard him play blues, chicken picking and he's the {censored} there too.

if you don't like him you are not a musician.

• Members

That singer's hair was totally goofy!

MAB - not only is he an incredible talent, he understands and can decipher the entire neck with modes, tones, chords and runs - he's an F'ing genius.

BTW - I;ve heard him play blues, chicken picking and he's the {censored} there too.

if you don't like him you are not a musician.

I guess I am not a musician.

I'm not saying he's not incredibly talented to a point which my peabrain cannot even comprehend, but that tweedley stuff does nothing for me.

• Members

I've got no boundaries and it's interesting from the viewpoint that he obviously wanted to do everything himself on there.

The thing is, he's got a Roland R-8 drum machine on that recording and it's obvious he programmed it himself...

Because it's obvious a non-drummer programmed the drum.

If I were MAB with the connections he had, I would have hired the best R-8 programmer in Chicago to do that session as the songs would have a much better rhythmic feel.

If you want to hear what an R8 can do in the hands of a demon programmer check this track I played on back in the 1990s.

This friend of mine, Kevin W can make the damn thing sound like a real drummer but he actually made it run out of memory doing this tune:

http://pod.ath.cx/asbtunes/old/crash-mr-monster.mp3

• Members

...now THAT I would like to see/hear! Where?? But I wonder if it would be shred blues, shred chicken pickin' etc :lol:

FYI all I've found of his so far is his maniac shred thing -- which I can get bored of real quick. IMHO I liked parts of his instructional videos MUCH better than anything else he does!

• Members

...now THAT I would like to see/hear! Where?? But I wonder if it would be shred blues, shred chicken pickin' etc
:lol:

FYI all I've found of his so far is his maniac shred thing -- which I can get bored of real quick. IMHO I liked parts of his instructional videos MUCH better than anything else he does!

heres an acoustic piece that sounds more classical. and yes, classical guitarists can get REALLY technical and fast!!! like here

[YOUTUBE]e5782DB7EHA[/YOUTUBE]

some jazz from WAY BACK WHEN

[YOUTUBE]SNH8dt3zNqg[/YOUTUBE]

heres some blues inspired stuff, but not really blues...even though its titled as 'the blues'. its with bill peck, another gifted and really under rated guitarist

[YOUTUBE]SjNohBfljXA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Very cool! Thanks for that. FYI watched all three, enjoyed them (minimal angry bee sound), and actually found a way to appreciate MAB more.

- the classically inspired piece was very very nice. Not your typical arrangement for sure, but yeah, how he played most of it took me by surprise as it was not what I was expecting.

- the jazz tune started really well, and again took me aback (there were hints of Joe Pass in there!!), but he sorta shifted into stuff I wasn't liking too much.

- again, the bluesy song started really well but ended in craziness. However MAB was choosing really COOL sounding passing & landing notes & phrases I don't think I've heard before. Sure he was shredding more later on, but I was really impressed with his choices for the most part. I will have to go back and pick those apart now.

Anyway, thanks again. I like feeling surprised :)

LOL Geezuz ...almost forgot to mention Bill Peck!! OMG now he's something to watch & listen to also. Seems like a really engaging fellow too, happy to be jammin' out, SMILING. Holy crap ...he's doing legato with his left hand fingers, then adds this piano-legato (4 fingers) with his right, and then laughs & chats with MAB while keeping it up! Too wild.

• Members

The first two videos were cool. The second one.....OMG...please make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!! From the player's point of view, that's very fun to play. From a listener's point of view, it's just noise and wankage. In other words, it's nothing more than fretboard masturbation. Great for the player, not so great for the listener. At least not for me.

Archived