Whats the point of having one pickup on a guitar?

mikelitzguitar

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is also this notion that the pickup magnets pull on the stings and kill some sustain by not letting them vibrate as freely. So less can = more.

On some Jazz guitars they just have a neck pickup because that's simply the only tone that they are going to be using.

So yeah, simplicity.

• Members

There is also this notion that the pickup magnets pull on the stings and kill some sustain by not letting them vibrate as freely. So less can = more.

On some Jazz guitars they just have a neck pickup because that's simply the only tone that they are going to be using.

So yeah, simplicity.

truth.

• Members

yeah, simplicity. Less to go wrong, less wood taken out to make room for a 2nd pickup, less magnetic drag, etc.

Some people only need that "one sound" or thats the only sound they like, so why have more if they're not going to use it?

Plus, there IS a lot you can do to affect different tones with technique (if you're good) - so "limiting" the pickup choice can force one to focus on other things (note choice, technique, etc).

Different strokes, different folks

• Members

Single pickups guitars, like the LP Junior can, I believe, have better body-neck joins, less magnetic pull on strings too, which adds to overall resonance and sustain, some believe.

I don't know why, but the single P90 in a Junior just sounds different to the bridge pickup on, say, a Les Paul Special, and in a good way.

• Members

I started a thread about this a while back.

What I got from that thread was that apart from things like a longer neck tenon, less string pull from a neck pup (which would be pretty insignificant I imagine) and the obvious "its cheaper to make", it really boils down to personal preference. Some people like the simplicity, and some dont feel the need for a neck pup.

• Members

I started a thread about this a while back.

What I got from that thread was that apart from things like a longer neck tenon, less string pull from a neck pup (which would be pretty insignificant I imagine) and the obvious "its cheaper to make", it really boils down to personal preference. Some people like the simplicity,
and some dont feel the need for a neck pup.

eddie-van-halen1.jpg

Archived