Whats the point of having one pickup on a guitar?

mikelitzguitar

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are for
mouth breathers
who can't count to two.

Which is a really funny quote given your avatar ....:lol:

One of my major GAS provokers is the (discontinued) Jackson Kevin Bond sig Kevin_B_Rhoads.jpg .... And y'know if I end up playing a bad-ass black V with pentagram inlays I'm only going to be playing it one way ...

• Members

dude. single PU so when you are drunk/stoned otu of your mind there is less to {censored} up....as long as you don't touch the amp

HAHA! Very nice, escpecially because the signature guitar I had in mind was an Alexi Lahio of Children of Bodom guitar (apparently he gets completely smashed before a lot of shows:thu:)

• Members

I have been asking people this for years... Like with thous strats with one pup.

The most common answer is "less to mess with".

First off that answer seems like a con as opposed to a pro...plus if you have three pups you don't HAVE TO mess with anything.

These guitars arnt any cheaper... Im with the OP i just dont understand.

• Members

I have been asking people this for years... Like with thous strats with one pup.

The most common answer is "less to mess with".

First off that answer seems like a con as opposed to a pro...plus if you have three pups you don't HAVE TO mess with anything.

These guitars arnt any cheaper... Im with the OP i just dont understand.

That's how I feel too, less to mess with is sort of a con to me. I like to be able to customize my tone with every available option, and 3 pick ups give more versatillity to the tones you can achieve

• Members

Really depends on the guitar and what you want to use it for I think. I couldn't imagine my strat not having a neck single coil, but in my other 2 guitars with HBs I rarely find any use whatsoever for the neck pickup. I don't see the harm in having extra options, but for a guitar I primarily planed to use for rock I would be pretty ok with just a bridge pickup. Neck humbuckers are usually a bit muddier than I'd like when used with gain. Maybe I just haven't used the right ones though or EQd the amps I've used correctly for them.

• Members

I rarely use the bridge pickup on my tele or strats. I live in the neck or neck/ middle setting on both, but could easily get by with just a neck pickup.

In fact, my brother is making me a tele body with single neck pickup route. Not sure If I'll go P90 or HB, but it will be a dedicated slide guitar with just a volume knob- neck tone is perfect without a tone knob.

Lou

• Members

Some of my guitars have one pickup. Here is my 1952 Gibson ES-150.
IMG_0002-20.jpg

1950s Harmony H42 Stratotone Newport and H44 Stratotone.
IMG_0078.jpg

Here are three of my Danelectro-made Silvertones. I have three more. All of my Silvertones and Danelectros have one pickup.
IMG_0002-3.jpg

All of those guitars are just fine with one pickup. They get the job done. Those Silvertones are among my most versatile guitars.

• Members

I don't feel like reading through four pages, so my apologies if this is a repeat of something previously opined: If there was a statute limiting us to one guitar each, this argument might have some merit. However, since we can have as many as we want (and can afford), why the hell not??? I might as well ask: "what's the point of having more than one pickup on a guitar?"

Archived