Teledisaster on eBay!!!

HanSolo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You guys do know that this guitar maker is a HC poster over in the acoustic forum don't you?

Yeah, but look at the crap he posted there too!

Quote from the linked thread:

Are those drywall screws securing it to the top?

They look like he whittled them with a pocket knife.

• Members
Thats funny. I saw this on OKC craigslist the other day. He advertised himself as a pro luthier. He had pictures of a few other guitars too, they were all just as bad.

Edit: Found it

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/msg/1576236209.html

That's not even an Oklahoma phone number.
The cracking is one big reason why we don't build much besides posts with red cedar. The stuff checks uncontrollably when you try to dry it out.

And it's technically not even cedar. It's a juniper.
a09d252f320dc8e6f7aa83ba50032eb6.jpg

EG

• Members

This thread raises some possibly interesting things.

It must be really difficult for someone at the beginning, doin' the hand-made guitar thing.

You want to do your own thing, not just make exact replicas of "classic" designs. You try to be a little adventurous with it, use some local materials. Your first few are gonna be rough around the edges - but its not like you're just throwin' it together with spit and chewing gum in the space of an hour. There's gonna be some serious amount of hours in 'em - some actual effort, right? And by "hand made" standards, this guy's are priced pretty low.

Still, it seems like everyone's immediately gagging on 'em. And, really, for $600+ I could buy a pretty decent mass-produced guitar.

I know we've seen several others on here with build threads, makin' a Tele or a Les Paul, and some of 'em are really nice, too. I know some of those guys are just doing it for their own personal use, but others are selling them, right? And some of those aren't inexpensive.

But I also remember that there was a kind of contest over on the TDPRI board about building a Tele for some specified really small cost.

Plus, there's all the readily available parts to just assemble almost anything you want.

Wasn't there a thread a while ago about how feasible it was to manufacture American Made guitars for under some figure (less than $1,000) ?

I know that if you're going to try to do... well, anything "hand made" like that - and you want to be able to "make it" (especially in today's economy) you're going to have to have some strong determination to get through all the guff and the lean times.

and I get it - I mean, I looked at the pics, too, and they definitely look ..."Rustic" and "handmade".

But, hey - he's made it that far, he's puttin' it out there. I gotta respect him for that. *I* couldn't do it. I'm just sayin'

Not condemning anybody for their opinion or anything, ya know - just, Its gotta be difficult, putting in the work, putting it out there.

I dunno - just thinking it must be tough bein' someone out there tryin' to do that.

• Members

Yeah, you gotta hand it to him for learning how to do it and following through but there's a big difference between building for yourself or a buddy and selling them as customs. When someone pays money to a stranger for a product, that's business and people have a whole different level of expectations.

EG

Yep - and he's gotta be able to deal with that if he wants to make it. I hope he's got the stones to hang in there and see it all through.

Archived