The Practice- Join today! Improve your playing!

warriorpoet

• Members

THAT DAMS F CHORD!

Taking a break kind of frustrated, But I know it is just going to take practice

I think it is going to take practice

I hope with practice I can get it.........

Why is the chord so crappy to learn?...........

But I will not give up on it, HMMMM I wonder would it be easier to learn first on the neck of an electric (I could snag my daughters old cheapie Yamaha to practice it on, Still a few more days till I get my Gretsch back!)

But I also figure If I get it worked out on my acoustic, it will probably strengthen my fingers more.

Tim

It's so crappy I only play the barre version(s) unless I'm moving to or from CM in first position. Barre the e and B string with your index finger for bonus points...

Just keep workin' on it, man. You'll get it :)

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

THAT DAMS F CHORD!

It took a while when I started.

My advice, just practice it, and don't worry about it.

Don't think about it, don't stress, just relax, and practice it along with your other stuff. After a month or 2 or 3, whatever, it will happen by itself.

Just accept that it takes time, like everything else.

barre chords (Especially the "F" shape) are one of the first things that stresses everybody because they take time, and think it should come quicker, and it doesn't. Everyone thinks that barre chords are somehow easier for everyone else. They aren't. They take time. One day they're automatic, and then you will love them and use them all the time. but be patient.

Once you're patient and stop stressing about the "F" chord, then it will somehow eventually take care of itself.

Lots of people can give pointers. Listen to them by all means, but the fingers have to learn, Muscle memory takes time.

• Members

Holy {censored}!!!!!! I got 2 hours of practice in yesterday and I've already got my half hour for today in, I'll get more in later on tonight. Just basically kept going over the basics, 5 positions of pentatonic minor scale, barre chords, etc.....

• Members

warriorpoet, where are you??? I knew this thread would eventually die
;)

No die; just busy (wrote a paper last night, which explains the scads of posts on here yesterday...).

Friday: 2 hours composing/ arranging

Sat.: 2 hours solid practice, 1 hour jammin'

Sun.: 1 hour practice, an hour running scales watching t3h toob

Mon.: played for ~3 hours. 1 hour rehearsal, 20 minutes leading worship, 1.5 hours at home arranging, jamming, .5 hour takedowns.

Tue.: .5 hour "Take Five"

Today I plan on getting another hour in.

My chordal stuff is still pretty challenging (happens when you're trying to pick up a thousandythree different jazz chords at the same time), but my note reading is getting a TON better, as is my right hand.

Now, to take out the slop...

Tonight: "Take Five" in F :love:

From my teacher: "Never let horn players write." Pretty much sums up my thoughts on T5 in Bb. :p

• Members

I hear ya, {censored}s been hectic on my end too. My wife had the baby on Monday( ITS A BOY!!!!!:thu:), so I get about 20 mins or so in a day right now, mainly when I go home from the hospital in the a.m. to pick my daughter up for the day.

• Moderators
I hear ya, {censored}s been hectic on my end too. My wife had the baby on Monday( ITS A BOY!!!!!
:thu:
), so I get about 20 mins or so in a day right now, mainly when I go home from the hospital in the a.m. to pick my daughter up for the day.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:thu::thu::thu:

Nice one man, Happy New Boy Day:)

• Members
I hear ya, {censored}s been hectic on my end too. My wife had the baby on Monday( ITS A BOY!!!!!
), so I get about 20 mins or so in a day right now, mainly when I go home from the hospital in the a.m. to pick my daughter up for the day.

Congrats! :thu::thu::thu:

• Members

Congratulations on your son !!!!:thu:

Cool thread, BTW.

Can I still join???

• Members

Congrats on the new baby. Have an e-cigar.

Well, I was playing around with recording last night, trying to make it work without fb from my mike.

The backing track I was trying to play over for the SJ (my first) was too much hassle and I ended up writing a new tune and playing for nearly two hours.

As a result, I came up with some new licks on my acoustic and my fingers are very sore bc that thing is a bitch to play.

• Members

Another Congratulations for the arrival of the new baby!

I keep thinking this thread is fading but it pops back up!
I do like the idea of this to share experiences, frustrations, tips and to cheer each other on.......Kind of hope it keeps resurfacing.

Busy week, Got My new Tele, Picked up my Gretsch from new setup, mostly he just did fretwork, smoothed/polished, But he totally went over it, It was nice before but now it is amazing!

Had my next lesson tonight....
I mostly have Country Roads down pat with the exception of the F chord (still working on that one) My tempo for the song is still off, but my tempo for each song is off as I still have a noticible pause on chord changes, BUT it is improving! I started a new song tonight Lynyrd Skynyrd Simple Man.....You know it amazes me how simple some of these things are, once you know how, Yes I just started this song, alot of practice time for it to sound right but in slow motion I am getting through it fairly well. I am flipping back and fourth playing this on my acoustic and electrics.

I have made an observation tonight, I at this pont favor the neck size/shape on my Tele and Larrivee over my Gretsch......The Gretsch spacing is a bit awkward compared to how the others feel but I am adapting, And I know the Gretsch is still a keeper for me. But as I am learning I am starting to notice things that way alot more.I am very pleased with my three guitars and like them each for their own points.

So this week it is Country Roads and Simple Man, I will still run through my other songs periodically so I do not forget them all together and to further break things up.......I am still loving this all though, I do beleive I am hooked!

Tim

• Members

Congrats!

Getting my 45-60 minutes a night in on modes, fingering, speed and metronome work. Starting to think I need to set aside time to learn some new tunes though....(getting a little bored, but still seeing some improvement so I keep at it)

• Members

I did about 90min-2 hours in the morning today, worked on scales and laternate picking.

I hope to do another hour or 2 today.
Planning on doing some more alternate picking practice and also practice some jazz (bebop lines, improvising).

• Members

Another Congratulations for the arrival of the new baby!

Had my next lesson tonight....

I mostly have Country Roads down pat with the exception of the F chord (still working on that one) My tempo for the song is still off, but my tempo for each song is off as I still have a noticible pause on chord changes, BUT it is improving! I started a new song tonight Lynyrd Skynyrd Simple Man.....You know it amazes me how simple some of these things are, once you know how, Yes I just started this song, alot of practice time for it to sound right but in slow motion I am getting through it fairly well. I am flipping back and fourth playing this on my acoustic and electrics.

I have made an observation tonight, I at this pont favor the neck size/shape on my Tele and Larrivee over my Gretsch......The Gretsch spacing is a bit awkward compared to how the others feel but I am adapting, And I know the Gretsch is still a keeper for me. But as I am learning I am starting to notice things that way alot more.I am very pleased with my three guitars and like them each for their own points.

Tim

You have 3 nice guitars and can't play an F chord in time!!??

I'd agree with WP;

time to concentrate on playing instead of buying.

• Members

For what it is worth, I spend a great deal of time practicing
I have only been at it for four weeks and I am very pleased with my progress some will learn slower, some faster, But as I said I am pleased.
I practice a minimum of an hour per day and many days it is quite alot more.
Also I keep a guitar by my side when watching tv, durring commercials and sometimes while watching the tube, I will pick it up and either softly strum through material or just work on fingering......

I am 45 and waited a long time for this, I have committed myself to learning to play. At the start I wanted 1 acoustic and 1 electric and bought my Larrivee and Gretsch, got started in lessons and saw I am going to pick this up as long as I work at it. I have allready learned I also want a few different types of guitars so when I have the opportunity I will continue to reward myself with another guitar. If nothing elses it is challenging me to work at learning more so I can use these great instruments more fully.

So who is to say you can not do both concentrate on learning and Purchase a few guitars?

Also from people I have talked with and posts I have read, Many many people have a hard time getting the F chord, so I do not have it right in 1 week, so what I will get it it could be tomorrow or a month from nor BUT I will get it and think to myself what was so hard about it? In the same thought, most everyone I know that plays have all started out a little slow or clumsy with chord changes but again it comes with time and practice, more experience. So this to will come my way.

I will continue to practice and learn, but I will also continue to purchase a new guitar if and when I choose, I value the money I earn, I work hard for it as well, So if I want to spluge on occassion, I still think I will.

I am still pleased with my progress, and am excited for what I am learning.

Tim

• Members

Decent weekend practice-wise.

About two hours yesterday - watched "Across the Universe" Friday night, so did a lot of Beatle wankery yesterday, interspersed with the usual metronome work. Getting faster and cleaner for sure....also tweaked around a lot with my AD30VT to coax some better tone from it.

Did a full run through of my last gig set too (just to see if all this practicing is actually having any impact on my ability to play songs instead of just scales). I gotta say - I noticed that my chord changes, bends and slides have improved somewhat. And, for an old geez, my memory for solos, songs etc is still ok.

• Members

I'm in!

I will practice no less than 2h each day until 06.20.2008,
after which I will probably be forced to cut down to about 30 min.
(there is much work scheduled for the period after that)

Today I wanked for about an hour, and played major scale fingerings
in the 2nd position in various permutations for at least 2h.

I was especially focused on the F-sharp fingering, with a lot of pinky-stretching,
and as a result, both my pinky and ring finger hurt at the base.

I stopped when it started to hurt. :freak:

• Members

For what it is worth, I spend a great deal of time practicing

I have only been at it for four weeks and I am very pleased with my progress some will learn slower, some faster, But as I said I am pleased.

I practice a minimum of an hour per day and many days it is quite alot more.

Also I keep a guitar by my side when watching tv, durring commercials and sometimes while watching the tube, I will pick it up and either softly strum through material or just work on fingering......

I am 45 and waited a long time for this, I have committed myself to learning to play. At the start I wanted 1 acoustic and 1 electric and bought my Larrivee and Gretsch, got started in lessons and saw I am going to pick this up as long as I work at it. I have allready learned I also want a few different types of guitars so when I have the opportunity I will continue to reward myself with another guitar. If nothing elses it is challenging me to work at learning more so I can use these great instruments more fully.

So who is to say you can not do both concentrate on learning and Purchase a few guitars?

Also from people I have talked with and posts I have read, Many many people have a hard time getting the F chord, so I do not have it right in 1 week, so what I will get it it could be tomorrow or a month from nor BUT I will get it and think to myself what was so hard about it? In the same thought, most everyone I know that plays have all started out a little slow or clumsy with chord changes but again it comes with time and practice, more experience. So this to will come my way.

I will continue to practice and learn, but I will also continue to purchase a new guitar if and when I choose, I value the money I earn, I work hard for it as well, So if I want to spluge on occassion, I still think I will.

I am still pleased with my progress, and am excited for what I am learning.

Tim

Tim is an inspiration in this thread.

Keep working, man :thu:

• Members

Didn't get to practice yesterday, but I got in just about an hour today. Worked on some blues licks to some 12 bar blues backing tracks, its quite fun when you get something going and it sounds good :p. I might be able to get more time in later on tonight too.

• Members

Practiced some of my stuff for about an hour.

Practiced comping on "You'd be so nice to come home to" jazz standard.
A few nice ideas and substitutions sprang up.

Proceeded to wank for about an hour more.

Pinkie is getting better.

• Members

Practiced some of my stuff for about an hour.

Practiced comping on "You'd be so nice to come home to" jazz standard.

A few nice ideas and substitutions sprang up.

Proceeded to wank for about an hour more.

Pinkie is getting better.

Was it broken? :p

Good to hear you're improving :)

Archived