The Practice- Join today! Improve your playing!

warriorpoet

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I bought an Albert King CD the other day and I've been copying licks (silly word) from that, if only I could remember them for more than about half an hour after playing them. I've also been trying to work the Mixolydian scale into my playing too, but it's not making much sense to me at the moment.

• Members

I am practicing much more the past two weeks that I usually do.

I am averaging 4hrs or more daily.

I and writing music for the guitar. Doing the Bass, Chord progressions, and Lead. And some of the lyrics

I have been back to working mostly on lead guitar which I have been away from for a spell. Basically linking the fretboard together while injecting minor and major for feeling. Some double stops, scales. modes. But covering from the 1st position to the 22fret. And at the same time creating a sensible, understandable groove, hook, lead runs.

• Members

Practiced for about an hour last night. Ran through pentatonic and major scales. Practiced portions of a couple of songs [Hey Joe and Mary had a little lamb (SRV)]. Also, I finally hooked up a new pedal (Visual Sound Route 66) and start to see what it can do.

• Members

Forgot to post up on wednesday.....

Wednesday night----about 2 hours on and off trying to learn the song "Revelations" by Iron Maiden (still got a long way to go on that ;) )

Thursday night---- Guitar lessons tonight, 50 minutes lesson instead of 1/2 hour thanks to the dude after me cancelling, worked on a boat load of bluesy licks that use alot of bends and vibrato bends, kinda tough with .10's. (sorry for the cheesy rhyme)

• Members

Last night - two 1-hour sessions...

Session 1: 20 minutes warm up on pentatonic scales with metronome, followed by several stabs at Sultans of Swing (fingerpicked) and some genralized wanking to find a nice tone on the Boutique Clean setting on my AD30VT.

Session 2: Practiced the lead for Layla (unplugged) and finsihed up with 30 minutes of improvised scales with the metronome.

Pretty cool - I feel like I'm starting to "unlock" some things I have never been able to do before....

• Members

Last night - two 1-hour sessions...

Session 1: 20 minutes warm up on pentatonic scales with metronome, followed by several stabs at Sultans of Swing (fingerpicked) and some genralized wanking to find a nice tone on the Boutique Clean setting on my AD30VT.

Session 2: Practiced the lead for Layla (unplugged) and finsihed up with 30 minutes of improvised scales with the metronome.

Pretty cool - I feel like I'm starting to "unlock" some things I have never been able to do before....

:thu:

That's what it's all about, my man.

I only got 20 mins. of composing in last night. After this week, I was beat.

• Members

I promise to practice when I am inspired and inclined to do so which is what I have been doing for 37 years and is not subject to change.

This may result in three hours a day EVERYDAY for years on end, it may result in irratic 8 hour practice sessions every once in a while with long periods of not touching an instrument in between, or it may result in a sort of settled down almost daily noodling/experimenting/practicing for a litle while almost every day.

I have been doing this so long, it is impossible to change and has worked out well enough.

I just wait for the inspiration to practice. Fortunately it comes often enough to keep me going.

• Members

60 minutes this morning...

10 minutes - metronome work - alternate picking - triplets

40 minutes of improvisation over BT from www.jamcenter.com (great site - pick a style and key, and it recommends two scales/modes with a fretboard visual to help us n00bs)

10 minutes of running through songs I already know.

• Members

Been busy putting up walls in my basement and all the fun stuff that goes with it like electrical and all.

Friday--- about 45 minutes of practice on and off, going over thursdays lessons

Saturday-- Got about 30 minutes in

Today-- I WILL get at least 1 hour in today.

• Members

I've been practicing for about 2 hours so far, but I'm just playing riffs and solos I already know as well as some mindless noodling. I think I need to learn something new, I might have a go at some Wolfmother stuff.

Archived