The Practice- Join today! Improve your playing!

warriorpoet

• Members

been practicing the D>>>G>>>A chord progression that my friend from work gave to me. He made some other tabs up for me to learn too:G>>>C>>>D, A>>D>>E, and C>>F>>G to try also. I'll try them this evening. Any others that anyone can think of that is more common to rock and blues music I can try?

I find I need to be faster at changing chords and playing them more clearly. Oh well, practice will solve that, eh?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
been practicing the D>>>G>>>A chord progression that my friend from work gave to me. He made some other tabs up for me to learn too:G>>>C>>>D, A>>D>>E, and C>>F>>G to try also. I'll try them this evening.

I find I need to be faster at changing chords and playing them more clearly. Oh well, practice will solve that, eh?

Now go learn a song with the progression ;)

• Members

Still practicing plenty each day

I can see progress......still slow and clumsy C to G or G to C But it is getting better, Got the lead version of Amazing Grace down pretty good.

Had lesson 3 today!

Played through Amazing Grace (lead version)

Stumbled through Strumming Chord version

Quick run through to see how I am comming with 12 Bar

And started to learn Chorded Strumming version Green Day The Time of Your Life......So I got plenty to work on this week!

Still having a blast though and still I see progress, and YES it feels good.

I just think to myself 3 weeks ago I could not play a note. Now I have a song 2 different ways, am Learning 12 Bar blues, and know 6 chords, without having to stop and study the chords. To some this may not be much but I am very pleased with myself! (Thinking about buying a new guitar to celebrate!)

Again I gotta get better with changing from chord to chord, I have it and mostly get good fingering but it is still slow and clumsy....Practice, Practice, Practice and I guess that will teach me!

Tim

• Members

I can see progress......still slow and clumsy C to G or G to C But it is getting better, Got the lead version of Amazing Grace down pretty good.

Had lesson 3 today!

And started to learn Chorded Strumming version Green Day The Time of Your Life......So I got plenty to work on this week!

I just think to myself 3 weeks ago I could not play a note. Now I have a song 2 different ways, am Learning 12 Bar blues, and know 6 chords, without having to stop and study the chords. To some this may not be much but I am very pleased with myself! (Thinking about buying a new guitar to celebrate!)

Again I gotta get better with changing from chord to chord, I have it and mostly get good fingering but it is still slow and clumsy....Practice, Practice, Practice and I guess that will teach me!

Tim

Tim, try playing your G a few different ways. I use one version to get to C2 and another to get to CM.

Check it: (#)= finger (1 being your index finger), #= fret, x= not sounded

from G to C2

G

3(2)2(1)003(3)3(4)

C2

x3(2)2(1)03(3)0

from G to CM

G

3(3)2(2)0003(4)

C

x3(3)2(2)01(1)0

The habit of knowing more than one chord shape pays off ;)

Great job so far, man!

• Moderators

:lol:

You joining up, Sean? If you're anything like me, the wee one makes things difficult, but the practice can't hurt, eh?

I just posted from the first page and then read some of the stuff from this last page and theres plenty of tips in here that I can use, so yes, I believe I will join my first......errrr, joining thing, do I have to go somewhere and get branded?

I'm gonna practice 30 mins every night during the week, once I get back form London:cry:(spit) on Monday

• Members

Today I will try to practice 4 hours. I'm currently giving a listening to some new and different music to see If theres anything to get me going.

I'm currently practicing with a software called Guitar Speed. See if it works... Doubt it though. My pratice is usually learning new riffs and try hard stuff I can't play.

Does ear training also counts for this?

• Members

I'm gonna practice 30 mins every night during the week, once I get back form London:cry:(spit) on Monday

:lol::cry::lol:

Just paste the link to this thread in your sig (copy/ paste works fine from my sig). It'd be great if we can get half of this board practicing instead of just talking about their guitars. :thu:

BTW, what's wrong with London? The wife and I were talking about doing a tour of Europe in three years, so any infos would be great :)

• Members
Today I will try to practice 4 hours. I'm currently giving a listening to some new and different music to see If theres anything to get me going.

I'm currently practicing with a software called Guitar Speed. See if it works... Doubt it though. My pratice is usually learning new riffs and try hard stuff I can't play.

Does ear training also counts for this?

Just playing time, sorry. If we counted ear training I'd be in for an automatic 2 hours a day ;)

• Members

Had lesson 3 today!

Tim

Keep at it! Try Mark Wein's blog (see Lesson Loft sticky) for excellent 12-bar blues instruction - he takes it nice and slow and the vids are good quality. Also - I see your kinda near baltimore - there is a cool guitarist meetup group that jams 1x a month or so...may be a good goal for you!

• Members

Haven't been on in a couple days, and I haven't practiced as much as I would have liked, (I can't wait for the baby to be born on Monday, my wife is driving me {censored}ing crazy with all this cleaning up {censored})

anyways, another lesson tonight. Learned a really cool 12 bar blues lick, so I've gotta get that down and try to do small 2 or 3 note improvising to some 12 bar blues backing tracks.

• Members

I'll practice more when i get more guitars, more amp, more pedals, MORE STUFF.....
:lol:

No, wait... I'll practice at least 30 min. a day...to then justify buying more guitars, more amps, more pedal....
:wave:

Seriously, though. What's wrong with us? What happened to the days when I played for hours at a time on a guitar I found in a buddy's closet with five wound jazz string on it?

{censored}. I'm going to go play guitar.

• Members

Had two days off (we are slow) So I played/practiced alot

Went to lesson 4 this afternoon, My fingers are really sore, the callousses are starting but not thick enough yet.

Went through Green Day time of your life, still make some mistakes, still a little slow with some of the chord changes, But it was respectable, I will still work on it But he gave me a choice another song in the key of G or move on.

I took one more song, This one introduces the wonderful F Chord (Which he told me most beginners despise at first) So This week I am learning John Denver Country Roads, of course I will break it up with more 12 bar, running through time of your life and amazing grace as well, It will be another busy practice week, Overall the new song seems to look pretty easy just mixing in the new F along the way. All of my playing so far has been with my acoustic, I have the Gretsch in getting setup, I checked and will get it back next week I will be anxious to play some electric. Next week I get to pick a song. I am going to go in with several because I do not know what he will say is over complicated at this point. Right now I am thinking something in

The Moody Blues, The Stones, Skynyrd , Three Dog Night, The Stones, Bad Finger, or The Church (Under the MilkyWay) Of course there are about a zillion I wish to learn! But I have a week to contemplate so who knows.

The bottom line is I still see I am making progress, AND I am really enjoying it, Despite the sore fingers! I still average at least 45 minutes to an hour a day,playing time, when I have a day off the total is much higher

Tim

• Members

This weekend I went to Paris, and took my Yngwie Custom Shop Strat with me, and was lucky enough to get a bit of practicing in each day in the hotel.

I found this little area near Moulin Rouge where there's dozens of guitar- and effects- and bass- and acoustic- and knobturner- stores within just a couple blocks. Absolutely amazing.

Also saw the original Faucault's Pendulum.

Anyway, I made some progress with the ii-V-I progressions: Dm7-G7-CM7 each 5 different ways (around the 3rd fret, 5th fret, 7th, 9th and 12th fret).

Then the whole thing over again but Am7-D7-GM7, and so on around the circle of 5ths (C G D A E B F# ... ).

I am slowly getting it automatic, all 5 forms of the iim7, V7, and IM7 chords in all 12 keys. It is really hard on the brain, but I hadd a kind of 'aha', and it all clicked into place. Sometimes I can even make the arpeggios fit, and the right scale in the right place.

Satriani's 'Summer song' is making slow progress, I'm around the 2:00 minute mark so far with learning the notes. Finesse and quality will occupy me for the next few years.

and Bach's Cello Concerto #3 "Courante" is really starting to get under control.

I guess Paris was productive. I'm just happy to be back now and playing with a real amp that glows inside, and my guitar teacher's studio had power this morning for my lesson.

Toi-toi-toi!!

• Members

You know, I don't usually join groups, but this is a really great idea.

For a while now, I've spent far too much time talking about guitars, modding guitars, gassing for guitars, etc, etc, and hardly any time at all actually playing my guitars.....sad but true.

I don't have a teacher, but I have a stack of books at least two feet high. I think I'll go back and pick up where I left off in " Blues You Can Use"

I'm in, starting today for at least 30 minutes or more of practice/playing/whatever.............and less time hanging out here.

If it's good enough for an old curmudgeon like Ratae Coritanorum, then it's good enough for me !

• Members

THAT DAMS F CHORD!

Taking a break kind of frustrated, But I know it is just going to take practice

I think it is going to take practice

I hope with practice I can get it.........

Why is the chord so crappy to learn?...........

But I will not give up on it, HMMMM I wonder would it be easier to learn first on the neck of an electric (I could snag my daughters old cheapie Yamaha to practice it on, Still a few more days till I get my Gretsch back!)

But I also figure If I get it worked out on my acoustic, it will probably strengthen my fingers more.

Tim

Archived