The Practice- Join today! Improve your playing!

warriorpoet

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really a newbie,
Started lessons last week, had second lesson tonight,
Practice a minimum of 45 minute, most days 1-3 hours, so far 5 basic chords, doing fairly well (sometimes troubles getting a clean sounding c) But I am still slow in transactions from one chord to another.

Working on Amazing grace, last week in chords, this week in lead, easy stuff but I am loving it, Also tonight got a simple intro to 12 bar blues, I can change up if I get tired of Amazing Grace. Now I have plenty to work on over this next week! But I can see progress, and maybe there is hope!
Besides my lessons I kind of mess with justinguitar as well

Tim

• Members

Really a newbie,

Started lessons last week, had second lesson tonight,

Practice a minimum of 45 minute, most days 1-3 hours, so far 5 basic chords, doing fairly well (sometimes troubles getting a clean sounding c) But I am still slow in transactions from one chord to another.

Working on Amazing grace, last week in chords, this week in lead, easy stuff but I am loving it, Also tonight got a simple intro to 12 bar blues, I can change up if I get tired of Amazing Grace. Now I have plenty to work on over this next week! But I can see progress, and maybe there is hope!

Besides my lessons I kind of mess with justinguitar as well

Tim

:thu:

I usually substitute C+9 (or C2) for C unless I really have a reason to sound an open C. It looks like this: x32030

Much easier to transition to G with that one, unless you're using the alternate form of G (pinky on top).

One other thing: this is a bit unconventional, but if you get used to barring simple two-finger chords like Em (022000) and A2 (002200) with one finger, a lot of things open up and transitions can go a lot quicker. Get into the practice early and you can do some pretty complicated chords a lot easier or more smoothly than more "conventional" players can. Ex. GM7 can be 354433 pretty easily if you learn how to cover the D and G string with only one finger. Now your pinky is free to pull off melodic runs or add a 9th or 11th. :)

Once you get to barre chords, open chords take a back seat, so get them out of the way as quick as you can. Good luck!

• Members

Spent an hour this morning learning new scales and practicing with the metronome. Amazing how quickly knowledge of the fretboard is coming with regular structured practice! I used to hit "wrong" notes all the time, and now it is rare.

Keep it up everyone!

• Members

My teacher told me I should pick one of my favorite solos and try to learn it, since so many solos have traditional licks that are used all the time, so last night I worked on learning the solo in Iron Maiden's Powerslave for about an hour. I'll get in about another hour today.

I thought this thread was about to die out

• Members
My teacher told me I should pick one of my favorite solos and try to learn it, since so many solos have traditional licks that are used all the time, so last night I worked on learning the solo in Iron Maiden's Powerslave for about an hour. I'll get in about another hour today.

I thought this thread was about to die out

Heck no! I need this thread :)

• Members

Checking back in
Still going at it strong, My simple chords are starting to come better and mostly cleaner, still have not started to develope any speed between chord changes, That is still slow and akward. Simple song I know but Lead version of Amazing Grace is really comming along nicley, not perfect I still make mistakes BUT it sounds like a recognizable song! When I mess up I also make myself restart from the beginning and run all the way through, I figure repeat, repeat, repeat will get it through my thick skull and clumsy fingers.
My simple 12 bar is comming as long as I go really slow it is clean and ok, but I need to get it faster, when ever I try and increase speed I mess up.....Oh well maybe practice will make perfect?
Yesterday I was a little short on practice time, very hectic day but I am sticking to it, Hope to make up for it through the day today.

Tim

• Members

Ive been at home for 2 days straight due to nasty snow outside and the midterm i was supposed to study for on monday :freak:. Instead i got a good 3 hours of Pearl Jam- Even Flow mixed with just blues improv. Today did that and then i just did 1 hour of Carry on my Wayward Son which was fun. Going to try ZZTop LaGrange tomorrow. Also the ive been putting off the Solo for UFO- Rock Bottom for a while. Should get to that by next weekend. :p

• Members

I had my weekly lesson on Friday. My teacher's studio had no power. Kind of takes the "electric" out of "Electric guitar".

We would have continued a bit with some more Joe Satriani, so instead revisited the 5 common forms of Major7, minor7, and dominant7 and the II/V/I.

This week just in CM/Am to get it back in my head again. Once that gets more automatic then the goal is to be able to do that in G then D, A, E etc. right around the circle of fifths. A bit of brain work!

• Members

Finally back from a vicious cold that kept me away from the guitar for a couple of days...made up for it last night....

30 minutes of straight up speed scale practice - focusing specifically on keeping my fretting fingers as close as possible to the strings...

30 minutes of improvisation over backing tracks....

60 minutes of learning new songs - Barracuda (harmonics), Layla (solo), writing something "original" and capturing it on PC....

Felt good.:thu:

Archived