The Practice- Join today! Improve your playing!

warriorpoet

• Members

My favourite type of practice at the moment is learning riffs. It's the end of the day here in the UK and today I learnt a few lead guitar parts from 'Dock of the bay' (I'm going to try and learn the rest tomorrow) and the opening riff from 'Black dog' by Zep. I also tried to solo over a 'Born under a bad sign' jam track but it was pretty dire, I will have to go and check a few Youtubes to see how other people approach it. Plus about half an hour of aimless (but fun)noodling and powerchord chugging.

Check Frankie Starr, Born under a bad sign on youtube.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Practice or playing?

They aren't necessarily the same thing. I plan to play for about 2 hrs everyday of which maybe 1 hr is practice (warmup, speed drills, scales, chord changes etc). The rest is playing along with songs or just noodling around

I wonder if I'll ever improve though :cry:

• Members

I practiced 2 hours this morning....with a metronome.

Minor pentatonic scales in G in 4 of the 5 positions.
Alternate picking throughout, focusing on clean strokes.

Thanks to OP for a productive thread (Hey, I quit smoking with Fanuvbrak...maybe I'll learn how to play guitar too.)

And thanks to the Lesson Loft gang (Gennation, Mark Wein, Auggie Doggie, et al) for provding some cool lessons.

• Members
Practice or playing?

They aren't necessarily the same thing. I plan to play for about 2 hrs everyday of which maybe 1 hr is practice (warmup, speed drills, scales, chord changes etc). The rest is playing along with songs or just noodling around

I wonder if I'll ever improve though
:cry:

+1

I remember once getting yelled at by a music professor because I didn't practice enough and I only spent my time playing. I eeked out my minor in music, but I was really only in it for the fun.

I hereby pledge to practice no more than I am in the mood for each day. :lol:

I reserve ambition and goals for my career & family. :o

• Members

I committed to myself some time ago to always pick up my guitar every day, and I've pretty much succeeded in that over the last few years, with the exception of a couple days with trans-atlantic flights (Guitar as carry-on luggage doesn't count as picking it up). So half an hour is easy. Maintaining significantly over an hour of real productive practice is a good goal. So I'm on board.

Now I'm tired, today I did my usual warm-ups, and a couple times through Bach's Cello Suite #3 "Courante" (In E though). It makes slow but steady progress. I changed the fingering again in a couple places, I think it improved it, and the new fingering is slowly becoming automatic.

This week I started on Joe Satriani's Summer Song. Making the harmonics nice clean and automatic will take some time. Friday's my lesson.

Archived