The Practice- Join today! Improve your playing!

warriorpoet

• Members

I practice everyday,I practice at least a 1/2 to 1 hour a day.Usually more.I practice chords and on-line lessons for a while & then turn to a song I want to try out for a bit & then move on to songs I have picked up and try to play along with them or get close:freak: I've only been back to playing a couple months & don't have a teacher so I'm not sure if I'm practicing right or what? I took lessons in school 20 years ago for a couple years but remember nothing:cry: Spring comes I'll look for a teacher I think.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My favourite type of practice at the moment is learning riffs. It's the end of the day here in the UK and today I learnt a few lead guitar parts from 'Dock of the bay' (I'm going to try and learn the rest tomorrow) and the opening riff from 'Black dog' by Zep. I also tried to solo over a 'Born under a bad sign' jam track but it was pretty dire, I will have to go and check a few Youtubes to see how other people approach it. Plus about half an hour of aimless (but fun)noodling and powerchord chugging.

I do that same thing. I get bored trying to learn an entire tune so I pluck certain riffs outta different ones.

• Members

A good weekend for both days

Roughly an hour each day of scales and speed drills

Roughly 2 hrs of playing through songs I know or want to know each day

Roughly an hour each day practicing solos over a backing track...phrasing seems to be improving

the best part was finding a version of The Rover on YouTube that I believe was actually worse that how I played it...This could be HUGE :cool:

• Members

Count me in.

I honestly can't go a day without playing. When I go on family vacations, I miss my guitars and often even dream about music (last vacation, I took one guitar). And the funny thing is, I don't even aspire to playing out, I just really enjoy playing tunes, learning tunes and trying to sound like my heroes (took it up late in life). I've only been at it (seriously) for about six years and know I'm not that great, but I can play (and sing) a whole lotta tunes (classic rock mostly) from memory and it always takes me back to the way I felt years ago when I first heard the tune. I've even written a couple of halfway decent tunes IMO.

Anyway good idea there Warrior.:thu:

• Members

well, I didn't get much of a chance to play today, maybe 15 minutes if I'm lucky. you see, I've got a baby being born in less than a month and there's so much {censored} that needs to get done, like getting the babies room painted and all that kind of stuff. I'm just so busy with that right now, and when its not that, its my 20 month old wanting me to play with her. yeah, I know :blah:

For now I'll get it what I can get in, as long as I keep it going somehow.

• Members

well, I didn't get much of a chance to play today, maybe 15 minutes if I'm lucky. you see, I've got a baby being born in less than a month and there's so much {censored} that needs to get done, like getting the babies room painted and all that kind of stuff. I'm just so busy with that right now, and when its not that, its my 20 month old wanting me to play with her. yeah, I know
:blah:

For now I'll get it what I can get in, as long as I keep it going somehow.

congrats! :thu:

• Members

Hey, i would like to join. i try to do at least 1 hour a night but as i am in college i usually have a lot of stuff to do. I mainly pick riffs out of songs i like and learn them. Also i try to do some of the lessons on mojocaster. Lately ive been working on perfecting my CAGE technique. I really want to get better. ::thu::

• Members

A friend of mine from work gave me some chord progressions to practice on. The first one I was practicing last night was Dmaj (D)--->Gmaj(G)--->Amaj(A) I did this for about 15, and have found those challeging to do. In my Hal Leonard book, I am starting on the section of the notes on the 4th string.

• Members

A friend of mine from work gave me some chord progressions to practice on. The first one I was practicing last night was Dmaj (D)--->Gmaj(G)--->Amaj(A) I did this for about 15, and have found those challeging to do. In my Hal Leonard book, I am starting on the section of the notes on the 4th string.

If you're just starting out on guitar go HERE, Its extremely useful, it teaches you the basics slowly. Just take it one lesson at a time until you think you've come close to mastering it, then move on to the next. I self taught for six months from this site alone. I would suggest lookin into it yourself, lots of great stuff.

• Members
If you're just starting out on guitar go
HERE
, Its extremely useful, it teaches you the basics slowly. Just take it one lesson at a time until you think you've come close to mastering it, then move on to the next. I self taught for six months from this site alone. I would suggest lookin into it yourself, lots of great stuff.

Absolutely. That's a great site. :thu:

• Members

Two hour session this afternoon - metronome warm up followed by scale work then a little time spent learning some riffage (Layla, Hells Bells, etc - just smoothing things out).

Did an extra hour tonight - working on blues in A - the Sticky Jam inspired me a bit. Might even record it tomorrow....did a little C Ionian scale work too.

Good thread, this one. Finally playing instead of always GASsing for more gear...

• Members
Two hour session this afternoon - metronome warm up followed by scale work then a little time spent learning some riffage (Layla, Hells Bells, etc - just smoothing things out).

Did an extra hour tonight - working on blues in A - the Sticky Jam inspired me a bit. Might even record it tomorrow....did a little C Ionian scale work too.

Good thread, this one. Finally playing instead of always GASsing for more gear...

That's the idea :)

Archived