The Practice- Join today! Improve your playing!

warriorpoet

• Members

A good hour of scales and timing work last night, followed by general wankery over a blues track in A.

I am finding that I need to learn some riffs to keep my interest level up. I am "in the box" 75% of the time, with some improvement of getting up and down the neck the other 25%.

Does anyone have a good resource for nailing down some classic blues riffs, turnarounds, etc....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

HEY, what happened? Doesn't anyone practice anymore?

My neighbors and I had a five-hour impromptu jam yesterday by my buddie's pool. Two guitars, a marmonica, a singer and a boombox with backing tracks. Mostly three chord stuff, but we were figuring out songs by ear, laughing, quaffing beers, and generally having a ball. We all spent the winter inside practicing and it really paid off. Our wifes and friends usually find us to be pretty annoying, but yesterday they were singing along and having a ball. Maybe it was the beer?

• Members

Got my in my 45 mins. of practice. Worked mostly on playing the major scale in different keys to the metronome and some various finger excercises. I think I'll practice some more. It is really satisfying when you know you're doing something to improve, and that it's gonna pay off in future.:thu:

• Members

Did two hours last night. All acoustic (out of town on biz, so I brought it along) - scales, songs, rythym work....trying to figure things out by ear...

My fingers are getting really hard playing the acoustic all week...

• Members

I might as well join up. Last month I fixed up a room in my house just for playing and that seems to have helped me put in a little more time. I have the Blues You Can Use book and I've been working through that. I also have a blues book/cd that has the song with the guitar part and then without. I try to do one or the other or both each day. Also some scale work. I like to play some metal so I work on down picking the E string and power chords too.

• Members

I have been very busy lately, so I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still practicing quite a bit, so much so that the wife gets angry cause thats all I do lately. I'm actually playing out with my brother's band this saturday, well its at a memorial day picnic, but to me thats playing out, LOL. They've got 12 songs they are playing but I've written parts to 4 of them so I've been practicing those quite a bit since I'll be jammin those 4 out with them. I've also been keeping up with scales and what not. I had to drop 1 on 1 lessons, but I'm keeping up with online and dvd lessons.

• Members

Jammed for a couple of hours with my neighbors last night - singer, 2nd guitar and a harmonica player....figured out a bunch of three-chord wonders by ear...so that counts as practice for me. I plan to do a couple of hours of scales and timing practice later today....

• Members

Been awhile since I posted on this thread. I just bought a book, Guitar Chord Bible by Phil Capone that shows over 500 illustrated chords for all types of musical tastes. The last couple nights have been spent of me going to different pages and learning how to play different chords.

In my Hal Leonard book, I am also spending time during practice learning to do a chord progression strumming from C to C7 to C etc. Are there any other easy chord progressions I can learn?

Also during my time that I been practicing, I have been working on the first part of Wipeout using a book that has The Ventures' best songs.

• Members

Speaking of books - I like "Rock Lead Basics". It's a Hal Leonard book full of basic riffs that you can steal. The authors' point of the entire book is that your heroes stole all their famous riffs, so you had might as well steal theirs. Just don't steal the book. It's cheap enough.

• Members

Wrote up three transpositions and wrote a jazz chord arrangement for a hymn. Restrung the PRS and jammed a bit on hymn arrangements then put it down. I'll probably do another hour or so tonight.

Long days make for intense practice :thu:

• Members

I'll join this. I take lessons, but have not been practicing enough to improve at the rate I would like to. I will practice no less than one hour a day, and no less than two hours a day during the summer.

Here is what I plan to practice

1. Lesson Material often including learning music theory and berklee method books which include various chords/scales and all music is on a staff

2. Chords to jazz standards

3. Recording the chords to jazz standards and soloing over them

4. Chord Melodies for jazz standards

5. Learning and memorizing tunes for a popular band that I'm in

6. The complete fingerboard theory books or w/e they're called

7. Reviewing scales/chords

8. Ear training/being able to tune the guitar without a tuner/learning tunes by ear

If I spend a solid hour on these concepts everyday I am sure I can become a much better player.

• Members

Guys, I have been slacking big time on my practicing in the past weeks. i'm in thep rocess of buying an appartment which takes a lot of time (appointments with notary, bank, financial advisor, etc.).

When I have some time I do a practice session of maybe 2 hours, but then it might be another 3-5 days without practicing.

I guess this will take a little longer until I am back to a more stable practice schedule, I tihnk this won't be until in august sometime, as I will go to NYC in the summer and I will stay something like 4-6 weeks.....

• Members

I think I will join in on this!

My routine is just over an hour each day. The goal is to improve my ear, my timing, my musical vocabulary and my reading. My routine is as follows:

5 minutes on spiders as a warm up, both alternating and hybrid picking

10 minutes on either singing triads/intervals on the guitar, or picking out a familiar tune by ear

15 minutes playing songs already learned with the metronome

15 minutes learning a new song

15 minutes transcribing, or reading, or playing to jam tracks

This is a bit of a modification as I am no longer have access to David Oakes' book for reading music on the guitar. Thus I mostly read Real Books.

Also, everyday I use the Musictheory.net interval and chord trainers, 50 questions each.

• Members

I think I'm going to join this. I'm going to strive for an hour a day. This will try to include:

-20 minutes of speed training with a metronome (alternate picking/sweeping) to improve technical ability

-20 minutes of working on applying new music theory

-20 minutes of figuring out new songs to figure out how the theory and technique combine

This will be on top of the jamming I do throughout the day. It's way to easy to just keep jamming. I will also try and double each of these during the weekend.

• Members

I got my hour is today.

I scored 90% on chords, with Major, Minor, Suspended and Dom7 selected. I scored 82% on intervals, with Unison, M2, M3, and P4 selected. However the interval score is misleading, as the test gave me alot more Unisons than usual. Normally I score in the sixties.

I did my five minutes of spiders, and chose to do 10 minutes on picking a familiar tune by ear. This time it was 'Daddy Sang Bass'. It's going slowly.

I played the rhythm parts of Hey Jude and Paint it Black to a metronome.

I practiced the lead part to Chattahoocie by Alan Jackson for my new song.

I ended off with some reading of 'After You've Gone' in Eb.

• Members

I got emedia Guitar songs which includes 20 songs with tab and standard notation and has a recorder, to track progress. It is alot of fun, you can also use as back round tracks to play along with. It is a great way to learn and practice.

• Members

Also how do i put that thing in my signature?
:confused:
Im not very good with computers:idk:

highlight, copy, paste my practice logo in my sig.

I've been hitting my .5 hour mark and more each day. I haven't had as much time to post lately, but am practicing.

Archived