Why are the older peavey guitars such a big secret?

chimi

• Members

I have a Peavey Raptor Made in Korea that sounds surprisingly good, too. Picked it up for $70 along with a decent chrome stand, cheapy 15W practice amp and cheap guitar chord. Other than a HORRIBLE plastic nut (replaced it with a GraphTech immediately), after a good setup it is really a decent guitar.

And now I am looking at the USA models at Guitar Center's web site for around $100...

• Members

I have a Peavey Raptor Made in Korea that sounds surprisingly good, too. Picked it up for $70 along with a decent chrome stand, cheapy 15W practice amp and cheap guitar chord. Other than a HORRIBLE plastic nut (replaced it with a GraphTech immediately), after a good setup it is really a decent guitar.

And now I am looking at the USA models at Guitar Center's web site for around $100...

Man i almost pulled the trigger on one for about 47 bucks shipped last week but couldn't bring myself to do it since it would be sent to my home (where my mom would be pissed i got another guitar) and not my apartment at school.

• Members

Years ago (like 1994ish) I bought a new Peavey Tracer. Other than an old Vandenberg sig model, it's the only Peavey I've owned. It wasn't bad for $379 new with hsc considering it had a locking trem and was MIA. It actually played pretty good. I think I sold it because I scored a great deal on a Heartfield Talon. I should buy one again for nostalgia.

• Members

My Peavey Patriot, bought in a rusty, mangled mess from a pawn shop. It was covered in grime, stickers, scratches, etc. It looked like it had ridden in the bed of a pickup truck for six months. Burned pickguard (!), broken tone pot, poorly replaced tuners, and THREE spliced strings, which must be some sort of record. Gunk between the frets almost as tall as the frets.

Cleaned it up, made a pickguard, some parts from my bin, sounds great for about $120 total. These things have good materials, are well made, and have great pickups. I must admit I removed the horrible logo from the headstock. It was like they were trying to make it look cheap and silly, like flame decals on a Yugo.

oldMattB

• Members

I recently sold 2 Heritage guitars shortly after I bought my first t-60 about 2 years ago.

I have a patriot w/superferrites

a patriot that had a single humbucker that I replaced with a P-90

a impact 2(superstrat)

a reactor(tele clone)

I will never paly anything but USA peavey now. My USA strat is in semi-retirement

• Members

My Razer's neck is as nice as any fender I have ever played...its ugly, and odd shaped, but the neck is butter, and the T-60 pickup system is sweet. Can pick em up all day at $100-$150. Made In the USA.

Peavey.jpg

I think the body on that guitar pretty well sums up why they're such a big secret.

Great neck and pickups can only overcome so much.

• Members

It's the same with old Peavey amps. I went to Peavey's wiki page to find out some info about their amps and they don't even mention the Mace amps that Lynyrd Skynyrd used. The first notable amp according to their wiki page was the 5150. I know people who have written about other amps in their wiki like the Bandit and someone keeps erasing their entries.Weird.

[YOUTUBE]CkTQUtx818w[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I don't get why they are so cheap either, but I'll continue to snatch up USA Peaveys that go for under $100. I bought a Predator a month ago, and a Nitro a couple of weeks ago (the one with the V-type headstock, not reversed).

My first "tube" amp was a Classic VTX. Seemed nice - it's been 20 years now.

• Members

My Razer's neck is as nice as any fender I have ever played...its ugly, and odd shaped, but the neck is butter, and the T-60 pickup system is sweet. Can pick em up all day at $100-$150. Made In the USA.

Peavey.jpg

The guitar of choice of none other than T-Model Ford. Delta players seem to prefer Peavey -- it's right up the road!

• Members

The guitar of choice of none other than T-Model Ford. Delta players seem to prefer Peavey -- it's right up the road!

I forgot about T-Model having one of those! And I've seen him live. Wow.

And I will say that every Delta (or Hill Country, and there is a difference) guy I've ever seen, live or on film, has had a little (or sometimes big) Peavey combo amp, and they all sound absolutely great for that Mississippi Hill Country sound. Doesn't hurt that they're usually loud as hell ;)

• Members

I have a USA Reactor. I am surprised that the price on them hasn't gone up.

It only cost me around $230 or so new, but I'm not even sure if I could get my money back on it.

I do think they are under-appreciated.

But that's okay, I'm going to be modding mine anyway to enhance my luv for it, so it's not going to market anytime soon.

About the only part that was crap on it were the tuners. Just kinda chunky, not too good for da fine tunings.

• Members

I forgot about T-Model having one of those! And I've seen him live. Wow.

And I will say that every Delta (or Hill Country, and there
is
a difference) guy I've ever seen, live or on film, has had a little (or sometimes big) Peavey combo amp, and they all sound absolutely great for that Mississippi Hill Country sound. Doesn't hurt that they're usually loud as hell
;)

Agreed about the difference. T-Model is from Greenville which is southwest of Clarksdale. Hill country is Northeast. Last time I was in C'dale I was going to drive by -- sometimes you can catch him playing outside -- but I didn't get 'round to it. I've heard that a bottle of Jack is mandatory...

Archived