do you mod expensive guitars?

twotimingpete

• Members

my stance is I like to tinker with my sub-$1000 axes... which is all of my axes, actually. but if I were to get something a bit more substantial, like an american standard or above (or any gibson above a grand) I'd prefer to just keep the thing intact and original and not mess with it. these are legacy items, the cheaper ones are tinker items. that's my view, anyway.

• Members

If I'm paying that much for a guitar, generally, I'm paying for something that comes the way I like it, unless it's a simple pickup swap or something small. Cheaper guitars can usually improve via upgrades, and it doesn't hurt the resale as much (keeping it the same or maybe even, in some very cheap cases, making it worth a tiny bit more). More expensive stuff, however, just goes down in resale value if you mod it. And someone will say "I don't buy something I don't intend to keep," but I've had probably 100+ guitars. I rarely "intended" to resell them when I bought them. But knowing how I go through instruments, I've learned to consider resale.

• Members

I swapped pickups and changed pots and caps on my Les Paul Axcess within days of getting it.

I love the guitar. The neck, the body, and the feel of it is perfect. The stock pups and pots didn't agree with me. No use having a nice guitar if you don't like the sound.

I'm 150% happy with it now.

• Members

I think that all four of my Gibson Custom Shop guitars are pretty much stock with the exception of lightweight tailpieces added to my ES335 and 339. My Custom Shop '56 Strat required modding the first day I brought it home--5 way switch and jumper so that the bridge pickup had a tone control. Both of my Strats have RS aged plastic knobs/switch tips/pickup covers. My '52 Tele has a genuine Bakelite guard, and my Thinline has a WD black guard.

Both of my Les Paul Classics are heavily modded with different pickups, hardware, plastic parts, etc. Both of my SG's now have Tone Pros nickel hardware and different pickups; SG Classic has TV Jones Powertrons. Jazzmaster and Jaguar have Tusq saddles; Tele Thinline has Ferroglide saddles; '52 Tele RI has 250K pots and Jensen oil/paper cap. Rick 360's came with Hi Gains but were replaced with Toasters. Gretsch's have TV Jones pickups. All of my guitars get Schaller strap locks. I could keep going, but you get the point.

I love modding and tweeking, even if it's just a matter of changing the knobs to make the guitar look more authentic.

I always take a Dremel tool and round off the edge of low E-String saddle so that it doesn't cut my hand when I palm mute.

saddle.jpg

I like the look of aged pickup covers and knobs on strats:

strato.jpg

There's just enough room in the control cavity for this righteous tone capacitor.

jensen.jpg

Every guitar deserves TV Jones Powertrons.

sgtv01.jpg

This $800 MIM Tele Thinline requires NO UPGRADES! It comes with CTS pots, Switchcraft switch, Belden hookup wire, top drawer stuff you typically find on custom shop gear.

thinguts.jpg

• Members

The only thing I'll do to an expensive guitar is swap pickups. And even then, I'll keep the stock pickups aside just in case I do have to resell the guitar, and then I'll put back in the original pickups.

Generally I won't even do that, but putting a set of Lollar Imperials in my ES335 made it sound like a GREAT Gibson. As it was, it had this big sonic footprint that didn't intermingle at all with other midrange instruments. It was kind of a bully really, and that's not my thing. I want other midrange instruments to be able to be heard easily without them having to turn up loud enough to be heard over my guitar. The Imperials, while sounding very "Gibson" still have some air in the sound that allows other things to be heard through them. The Lollars made my '335 sound like it should have sounded when it left the factory, like old early to mid 60's Gibson pickups used to sound.

• Members

do you mod expensive guitars?

Erm... if by that you mean yanking the guts out, swapping pickups etc. then "No". By and large I have never felt the need to dick around with my expensive gits and the few warranty issues I have run into have been handled by "factory authorized technicians". But I do my own setups, string changes and general maintenance on all of them.

• Members

It all depends on the guitar for me. Sometimes that really expensive axe you get needs that little tiny zing before it's perfect. I'm a tweaker myself. I know what I want out of the gear and like to think I know how to obtain it. If that means swapping out the pickups/pots/frets to get a different vibe then so be it. It's all on how much you feel that change is necessary for you.

I'll also swap out parts if i want to upgrade things like tuning stability etc...

• Members

American Standard and Deluxe strats have pretty unremarkable pickups. Not bad, but certainly not great as the Fat 50s, CS54s, CS69s etc...

I have 69s and 54s in one of my Squiers and in a MIM+MIJ Partscaster so yeah... I'd probably feel compelled to swap pickups if I had an MIA Standard.

• Members

I'll mod any guitar if I think it will improve the sound, and playability, etc. My idea of what sounds good may not be the same as a luthier's.

This has long been my philosophy. I've modded by Les Paul Custom by swapping out the saddles with Graph Tech String Savers. At some point I may also fiddle around with the pickups, and possibly even replace the nut.

• Members

Unless there was a particular issue with a guitar - any guitar - I would keep it stock.

I can understand when there's a need to change a nut or saddles etc but I wouldn't do it just as a matter of course.

The only mod I've done to my Gibson LP is to fit a pair of Bare Knuckle Emerald pickups - to replace the ceramic 496R/500T set that it had. Even then I only did this to radically improve the tone.

• Members

I have swapped bodies, necks, pickup assemblies, tuners on $1000 Fenders quite a few times.

On more expensive guitars, I would only swap pickups, pickguards, knobs, and hardware not requiring any drilling, routing, or sanding.

I don't think I could bring myself to rout holes on a $1000+ guitar.

• Members

sometimes. Usually the more expensive guitars I buy already have features i'd like from factory.

exception being straplocks, and sometimes (on my floyd guitars) a tremstopper, and those little allen wrench holders that mount behind headstock.

still haven't had the courage to drill into my les paul axcess headstock or trem cavity though. don't want to mess with perfection.

Archived