What do you use your trem for?

Spike Li

• Members

Well aside from obvious things like a divebomb, for all those trem users out there, what do you use it for?

Im curious as I usually avoid trems (none of guitars has one) as I like to change tunings on my guitars a lot and also Ive never really seen the need to have one...

Also, does the trem make playing styles like shredding easier to do? ie.- does it make quick bends easier to do, etc?

• Members

Scoops: pushing the bar down before hitting a note and letting it come up to the note. This is by far my fav technique with the bar.

Flutters: Flicking the bar so that it warbles the note.

Dive into pull up. Pretty common. :lol:

Bar vibrato with a floyd is a bit of a trial and error thing for me personally.

• Members

all kinds of crazy stuff when I used to use it, I have a song that has the wackiest solo I ever recorded and it has plenty of trem bar in it.

This was recorded with a 1980 Les Paul Deluxe that had a Floyd Rose on it, I definitely don't write solos like this anymore.

Too Bad

• Members

Vibrato, bending into notes, expression

... all of the above. plus 'fake slide' -- the solo in this clip was an attempt to reproduce, using the whammy bar, one of my favourite Muddy Waters slide solos.

[YOUTUBE]f6wbSVrI_lE[/YOUTUBE]

If you're in a hurry, the solo in question starts around the four-minute mark.

(Incidentally, that's Marc on bass -- before he shaved his head and grew a beard.)

• Members

My favorite use of a wang bar is to make noise. Mash it down,pull up hard,wiggle,yank,crank and other general abuse. The funny thing is my only guitar I have with a tremolo is a Squier(remember the overstock.com about 3 years ago on the mahogany body strats?) with the 2 point unit and it stays in tune no matter how much I abuse it.

• Members

Anytime that I am too in tune I just dive the {censored} out of it so that it's all {censored}ed up sounding. :thu:

Seriously though I use mine for a shimmering type vibrato sound. I dig the way that Brian May uses his and I have to admit that I do get kind of overboard at times with it.

I also like doing a little Beck style stuff (though I am not even in the same hemisphere as him at it). But one thing I picked up from him was the tremolo flutter where you pull up or push down and then just let it fly out of your hand for that nice rude crazy sound. I've been doing that a lot lately.

One other thing that I noticed is that since I last set up my strat the tremolo is almost perfectly set for 1 step when you pull up on it. I've worked hard on getting that thing to stay in tune over the last few years and it's nice to actually be able to use it for more than just a bit of shimmer.

• Members

My trem arm stays in the case. The mechanism, springs and such, are crucial to a strats unique tone. So mines just a part of the guitar that contributes to the overall tone, but I dont use it.

Yeah I use mine to help hold my case down too. :facepalm:

Archived