What do you think of this single?

siva115

• Members

Another option for the op to stand apart from the pack is a contest like Guitar Center's King of the Blues.

I watched some video of the most recent winner, Kirby Kelly, and was quite impressed. He's got some unique technique of using two slides.

I actually entered in that this year. I got cut in the first round for not being "traditional." A lot of people in the crowd came up to me and told me it was {censored}ed up and I got robbed..but nothing to cry over.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another option for the op to stand apart from the pack is a contest like Guitar Center's King of the Blues.

I watched some video of the most recent winner, Kirby Kelly, and was quite impressed. He's got some unique technique of using two slides.

Woah... is this a real video? That was awful.. reminds me of the videos where people overdub hillariously awful solos over real live videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipy58SaIRhs

• Members

Mr. Kelly...yeah, he looks like a guy who has paid his dues,
He has a nice Bluesy patina to his countenance, a little worn but plenty o' miles left on him.

He kinda blends in with his nicely worn axe and that and crinkled guitar strap.

Looks like his gear and he are definite 'Club experienced' Vets.:thu:

• Members

Woah... is this a real video? That was awful.. reminds me of the videos where people overdub hillariously awful solos over real live videos:

Well now you've also discovered another one of your biggest enemies..........differing taste in music.

Myself, these days I prefer to watch and hear great keyboardists. I also think of the human voice as being the ultimate musical instrument and I'd gladly give up all my lighting fast guitar licks to be a better vocalist. I rarely get excited by instrumentals.

A seemingly large percentage of young people like hip hop/rap/etc., that would seem to be quite an obstacle for a younger artist to overcome.

You're competing with guys/gals that use drum machines and ableton live on one side and people that are amazing vocalists and pop song writers on the other.

Good luck!

• Members

Woah... is this a real video? That was awful.. reminds me of the videos where people overdub hillariously awful solos over real live videos:

So... it must kill you that so many people think that guy is so much better than you, huh?

Look, I've listened to both songs, I have a disinclination to gimmicky technique, I think contests are themselves gimmicks and tend to debase the musical dialog and often elevate flash over content -- and, nonetheless, I have to tell you that I think that first song in the vid has much more musical coherence and focus than yours, that his playing has more edge and vitality, that there is much more -- many quantum jumps more -- meaningful, coherent, satisfying musical content that comes across to me from his playing in the electric song in that vid than I get from from your song.

That is, of course, just one person's perspective. And I do like the blues. No doubt you can find someone into easy listening lite-jazz who likes the filter sweeps and other dated electronica trappings you've included and doesn't mind the noodly, meandering course of your solo. It's a big world and, hopefully, there's someone else out there who will appreciate your efforts as much as you do.

EDIT: That may sound like tough, even uncharitable criticism, but your unabashed slagging (ridicule is a better word) of Kelly's piece pretty well negated any inclination toward further charitability I could muster.

• Members

So... it must
kill
you that so many people think that guy is so much better than you, huh?

Look, I've listened to both songs, I have a
disinclination
to gimmicky technique, I think contests are themselves gimmicks and tend to debase the musical dialog and often elevate flash over content -- and, nonetheless, I have to tell you that I think that first song in the vid has much more musical coherence and focus than yours, that his playing has more edge and vitality, that there is
much
more -- many quantum jumps more -- meaningful, coherent, satisfying musical
content
that comes across to me from his playing in the electric song in that vid than I get from from your song.

That is, of course, just one person's perspective. And I
do
like the blues. No doubt you can find
someone
into easy listening lite-jazz who likes the filter sweeps and other dated electronica trappings you've included and doesn't mind the noodly, meandering course of your solo. It's a big world and, hopefully, there's someone else out there who will appreciate your efforts
as much as you do.

EDIT:
That
may sound like tough, even uncharitable criticism, but your unabashed slagging (ridicule is a better word) of Kelly's piece pretty well negated any inclination toward further charitability I could muster.

yeah, ummm... like Blue said...(he's good with all those bigs words and stuff:)

You can't get over yourself, can you?:poke:

• Members

If it's any consolation to siva, I often feel like my own attempts at guitar instrumentals often suffer from some of the same failings... and, for that matter, some of my bb posts tend to be pretty much on the unfocused, noodly side, as well. :D

One more unsolicited tip: I suspect he'll find that a more modest, self-effacing approach, with less self-aggrandizement and a lot less self-justification, may well provoke less up-front, no-holds barred frankness from others.

:)

• Members

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/kingoftheblues/

While this is honestly not my thing (and I like blues), this guy definitely has some serious talent and can play, good sense of melody and timing, all that. Simply not my thing, but that's not important. I like the two-slide thing. Thanks for the post! :thu:

• Members

One more unsolicited tip: I suspect he'll find that a more modest, self-effacing approach, with less self-aggrandizement and a lot less self-justification, may well provoke less up-front, no-holds barred frankness from others.

Always good advice. I think that's just about always the case for people seeking comments or anything else.

• Members

Why would I want to avoid this?

• Members

Because you want some honest feedback. People who have already decided they dislike you as a person may, subconsciously or otherwise, find reasons to also dislike your music. True objectivity is really hard to come by, since the reverse is also true. I'm often a pretty likable, personable guy, so I can't tell if someone likes my music a lot or just likes *me*.

I've had the fortunate experience of having radio programmers who don't know me for {censored} choose to play my stuff without knowing me. That's good. But in any case, when someone's thinking, "Okay, let's hear this little cocky prick's music," before even pressing play, it might be harder to get some level of objectivity than if they have no concept of who you are as a person.

But there's really no right or wrong here. Your being a dick might be the best thing for you, and I'm in no position to tell other musicians how to handle their stuff. I only go by what feels right at that moment.

• Members

Bro2Bro wrote: "One more unsolicited tip: I suspect he'll find that a more modest, self-effacing approach, with less self-aggrandizement and a lot less self-justification, may well provoke less up-front, no-holds barred frankness from others."

If you feel that self-aggrandizement and self-justification doesn't connote insecurity, you absolutely would not want to avoid this.

If you feel that self-aggrandizement and self-justification will get you more honest answers and better discussion, you absolutely would not want to avoid this.

• Members

Because you want some honest feedback. People who have already decided they dislike you as a person may, subconsciously or otherwise, find reasons to also dislike your music. True objectivity is really hard to come by, since the reverse is also true. I'm often a pretty likable, personable guy, so I can't tell if someone likes my music a lot or just likes *me*.

I've had the fortunate experience of having radio programmers who don't know me for {censored} choose to play my stuff without knowing me. That's good. But in any case, when someone's thinking, "Okay, let's hear this little cocky prick's music," before even pressing play, it might be harder to get some level of objectivity than if they have no concept of who you are as a person.

But there's really no right or wrong here. Your being a dick might be the best thing for you, and I'm in no position to tell other musicians how to handle their stuff. I only go by what feels right at that moment.

Case in point; I remember telling Jeff in a post a few months back,

Something to the effect of;

I don't like you... not even a little bit, but I like your music...'

His reply was something like...'That's what I want to hear,'

• Members

It's true. When I seek opinions about this stuff, it's definitely not a thin-skinned exercise. Right off the bat, there are going to be people who just don't like the genre of music I play at all. Then there will be other musicians who are cool with my style of music, but would have chosen to have done things in different ways than I chose. And then -- as I mentioned above -- there are people who you don't get along with well, or have personal conflicts outside of music, and many of them are going to have prejudged your tunes before they've heard a note.

In any case, I think it's really important to be appreciative to anyone who bothered listening to your stuff. I'm always amazed when people do, given the amount of music and entertainment choices they have (and the limited time to check it all out). It's much more important for me to hear, "Your {censored} stinks, I hate it, it makes me want to puke," than be aware that the person never bothered pressing "play".

And beyond all that, I like my {censored}, and it's been moderately successful, so I don't lay awake at night wondering why every single person on the planet isn't into me. I'd rather use the energy to keep making more tunes that I like. :)

• Members

Clearly I don't mind criticism.. which is why I'm continually saying things that open me up to it.. which is just fine. I think you'll find that if you met me in real life you wouldn't find me as abrasive as you're perceiving me to be... I just happen to be opposed to being nice for the sake of being nice.. musically speaking that is.

• Members
I just happen to be opposed to being nice for the sake of being nice.. musically speaking that is.

What does that mean? You only act like a dick when music is involved? :confused:

You know, I've had the good fortune to work with tons of artists over the years, both as a guitarist and a sound engineer, and one thing I see in common with the biggest artists - the ones with real longevity in their careers - is that they are often the nicest people you meet. Sure, not everyone is that way - some people have huge egos to go along with their talents. However, if you're going to be a pain to get along with then you'd better have some MAJOR talent, so that people will want to deal with you even if you treat them badly.

I liked the 2nd track you posted. (Sorry, but I'm not interested in paying for a track from someone who is a complete unknown to see if I like it.) I liked the atmosphere you were conjuring there - but honestly, I don't hear anything jaw-dropping about it at all. You can definitely go somewhere, but you need people on your side to get there.

My advice to you is to stop challenging people to listen to your music - just invite them in. If they like it, great! You've grown your fan base. If they don't, oh well - maybe they have something you can learn from, or maybe it just isn't their thing. No big deal, can't please everybody.

And, by this same token, it's a bad idea to denigrate other peoples' music just because it isn't yours. For one thing, you never know who you might be talking to - maybe the guy who wants to produce you happens to like Mr. "King of the Blues" there, and decides you might not be so fun to sit in close quarters with for several weeks, ya know?

More importantly, though - you're feeding yourself bad vibes, which only serves to poison yourself mentally - and that comes out through your art.

• Members

You know, I've had the good fortune to work with tons of artists over the years, both as a guitarist and a sound engineer, and one thing I see in common with the biggest artists - the ones with real longevity in their careers - is that they are often the nicest people you meet.

It really is true. In my career, I've done business with the biggest musicians in the world, and there really is an inverse proportion to success and level of assholery. The top level guys, the most respected guys... they're the nicest and easiest to get along with. As you progress down the ranks, the jerk factor just gets higher and higher. It's absolutely amazing how consistent this has been in my experience.

• Members

My point is I'm not going to say nice things to someone if I think their music sucks. Conversely.. I donated to Haiti, I recycle, I perform random acts of kindness, buy drinks for friends, etc. Obviously one performance isn't indicative of what someone is capable of but that video was just miserable.. and if you know how that contest was set up it was just an extra slap in the face.

In any event, it looks like I'm probably getting a gig as rhythm guitarist/arranger for this up and coming rnb/rock female vocalist.. I'm not puttin money down on it yet but it looks probable, I'll let you guys know what happens.

• Members

If you feel that self-aggrandizement and self-justification doesn't connote insecurity, you absolutely would not want to avoid this.

If you feel that self-aggrandizement and self-justification will get you more honest answers and better discussion, you absolutely would not want to avoid this.

All really good points, explicit or implied... I think my take on it would be to go for a neutral presentation.

Of course, let's take a moment to remember why siva is here in the first place: it wasn't to get feedback, but rather to sell his song through iTunes.

This just got distributed to iTunes after an arduous several year process of bedroom performance and mastering.

The style is ambient/blues.. if you like it buy it.. if you don't like it, buy it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sub...on/id353432107

Did anyone buy it?

[i'm not looking for an answer; that's proprietary business info, after all. ;) I'm asking more as a thought question for siva, the OP.]

• Members

Did anyone
buy
it?

I did not. If I'd heard it and I really liked it, or felt that Siva was a really cool cat and had a good vibe that translated into the music, I might have, though. I do buy new music often, including stuff from my friends here on SSS and other forums. But no, I didn't.

• Members

Of course my original intent was to sell my music.. but I'm actually very appreciative for (some of the) wisdom imparted on me.. mostly from Anderton.

I happened to stay since I was simultaneously amused and horrified by how indignantly offended people were that a young musician would try to promote his music.

Archived