when do you know it is time to sell guitar(s)

trashedlostfdup

• Members

...I guess what I'm saying is sometimes quality is better than quantity. Guitar equipment, it seems, often follows that rule.

thats what i am looking for now. i mean i cant possibly play 26 guitars regularly, it is almost impossible.

i have a few decent guitars, but most of them are cheapies. my gibsons are nice, my showmaster is nice, the two usa washburns are nice, and a couple others are a little better than average.

i would like to add at least one nicer one to the stable.

• Members

i will knock at least two off the list.

my washburn tabu is currently borrowed to a friend. i will try to sell that to him, and if he isnt interested put it up on here or CL... $150?

i have a 7 string washburn (wg587), that i never really played, i just couldnt get used to the wide ass neck, and cant stand playing it. its really a nice guitar though. but i will sell that... $175?

as far as superstrats go,

i have a washburn wg-248 with a floyd that i will never sell
i have a washburn X-50 that i am debating on selling (probably $250)
i have a Jackson DKMGT (hardtail) that is staying
i have a Jackson DXMG with a floyd that i probably dont need. (i could make money on this one).
i have a Fender Showmaster (hardtail) that i will never sell

i could probably sell my Washburn Idol WI64d. i will probably never use that with two Gibson Les Pauls. so i could get rid of that for $225?

so far the total would be about $800. almost enough for a SG classic with p90's.

this might be a good thing.

• Members

Organization is the key for me. Although I definitely have more electric guitars (11) than what any non-professional guitarist could possibly need, they each have a different and compelling voice. I recently did trade my only Jazzbox for a PA head and cabinets but only because I couldn't justify spending cash when I have other priorities at this time. I figure I'm not really a Jazz player and the big guitar and slim line neck were not really my general preference.

• Members

If you buy cheap guitars that haven't become classics, don't expect to make money.

When Rondo was still open on rt 22,Union, NJ, I bought too many Agile/SX guitars. I always picked then from a wall that had returns displayed. These were at least 50% off some at 75% off.
and I bought new/unsold Agiles at 50% off when Kurt closed the store.
I sold every one of them. Some at cost but most at a profit. Those were the most difficult guitars to sell because they brought out every tire kicker and begger on CL.

• Members

6 months and no play, it's time to go unless its a serious collector piece. That is the rule with any of my gear. I've cleared out the cheap stuff that way. I was up to 14 electrics at one time, now I have 4 (well until earlier today, I traded an amp for two guitars lol). We'll see how long they stay around, both are super kick ass and collectible guitars but not sure they'll hit the main rotation or not. I can really only play about 4 in a solid rotation at a time and I still have just 2 of those that really get the majority of the playing time. I think I'll sell one of the new ones but I don't know which yet -- one is a 1976 Ibanez Les Paul Custom in an interesting orange burst and the other is a 2002 Ibanez Destroy (Japanese made), pretty rare.

• Members
could probably sell the MIM strat too. i dont really ever play it.

$300 more.

$1100. close to a Gibson SG standard.

Man, you could get a nice used SG for that or less. It's the way to go - out with the cheap, in with the good!

The only downside with selling all of the cheap guitars to get a few good ones is once they're all gone you don't have anything left to sell! Used to be, when I saw something I wanted, I could sell a cheapie or two and get the new one. Now that I only have guitars I actually want, the selling is a bit harder :cop:

• Members

I've found a place for lower cost guitars in my collection...

This includes a vintage vibe 60's strat, a epi '56 reissue goldtop w/ P-90's, and a PRS SE Tremonti. Each of these guitars is worthy of playing time, and fills a sonic place in my collection not filled by other guitars... maybe less so for the Tremonti than the other two.

I do have a Charvel Model 4 from 1986 that isn't seeing much playing time these days... but since it was my first "good" guitar... it's hard to consider parting with it.

None of my other guitars gather too much dust... I suppose I could part with my Line6 Variax, but it's pretty fun to play at times.

Like you're doing, I would seperate the guitars you are "duplicates" or don't get much play, and use those $'s to get something that will get a bunch of play.

M

• Members

I've found a place for lower cost guitars in my collection...

This includes a vintage vibe 60's strat, a epi '56 reissue goldtop w/ P-90's, and a PRS SE Tremonti. Each of these guitars is worthy of playing time, and fills a sonic place in my collection not filled by other guitars... maybe less so for the Tremonti than the other two.

I do have a Charvel Model 4 from 1986 that isn't seeing much playing time these days... but since it was my first "good" guitar... it's hard to consider parting with it.

None of my other guitars gather too much dust... I suppose I could part with my Line6 Variax, but it's pretty fun to play at times.

Like you're doing, I would seperate the guitars you are "duplicates" or don't get much play, and use those $'s to get something that will get a bunch of play.

M

i am with you on getting rid of the duplicates. i have like six superstrats and cant imagine needing more than two. one with floyd one without floyd. i will probably end up keeping four and potentially weeding out from there.

• Members
Man, you could get a nice used SG for that or less. It's the way to go - out with the cheap, in with the good!

The only downside with selling all of the cheap guitars to get a few good ones is once they're all gone you don't have anything left to sell! Used to be, when I saw something I wanted, I could sell a cheapie or two and get the new one. Now that I only have guitars I actually
want
, the selling is a bit harder
:cop:

it could go on for a while though. i however do enjoy the cheapies i play regularily.

• Members
if i don't bond with a particular guitar, it's gone.. i only own four electric guitars and they are all in heavy rotation... no point in keeping them if you aren't using them.
. i'm not a collector though.
:thu:
just my opinion.

If I don't bond within 30 days it is gone.
It took me 4 days to love my new PRS, I thought I was going to return it, but then it clicked and it is a keeper.:thu:

***With all that said, I play each and every one of my guitars almost every day.***
When practicing, I pick a different tune to jam to each day and run through it with all 7 guitars.
Never gets boring.

• Members
i have way too many guitars. 26 to be exact (i have several that dont fit in the sig
:facepalm:
).

i would say i have at least 6 or 7 that havent been played in 6 months.

two that sit in gig bags in the closet that havent seen the light of day in the last year or two.

and probably 3 or 4 guitars that have less than 10 hours of play on them.

but for some reason my pathetic ass cant seem to part with any of them. some of them are because i bought them as $150-$200 guitars on clearance and i would rather keep them than have $125-$175 in my wallet. does anybody else feel this way?

i do want to get rid of a few to fund a Les Paul Junior or SG classic and kind or get some more "nice" guitars than a bunch of "mediocre" guitars.

so two questions. when do you know its time for a guitar to go?

and does anybody else do the same thing and hord cheapies because the miniscule amount of cash you could get for them doesn't seem worth it?

You sound, by what you have written here, that you are answering your own question. That's tops in efficiency! :thu:

You are wise to want better guitars, and to want to sell every guitar you either don't play, or have very little time on.
They are only material objects, nothing more, nothing less.

I went through this very thing with very high-end guitars (all that I owned). I had about 25-30 of them and finally am down to just one, an XOX Handle, which I have a second one ordered as a back up.
Unload the crap, buy yourself some nice guitars...you deserve them! Don't look back, don't regret it, and enjoy the newer, nicer guitars. As I said, you deserve them!

• Members

Man I am in a similar situation. I have a few really good guitars a few oddities and few cheaper guitars.

I really need to thin the herd myself. I have a few guitars that basically never get played. I don't need or really want a floyd rose trem anymore and I have a couple guitars with them.

I was playing my SG at a gig this weekend and I realized how that guitar really fits me well. It is nice and light and the neck feels good to me and the guitar sounds good. I have a Levinson Blade arriving today that should end up replacing my Fender players strat.

I would really like to pair down my collection to about 6 great guitars. I have around 20 guitars right now.

Max

• Members

I carefully picked and chose all the guitars in my arsenal for very specific reasons and will never part with any of them due to the fact that every single guitar has its own use for certain projects and gigs.

The only two I dont really play much are more sentimental than anything and wouldnt sell them if I was down to my last dollar.

• Members

I sold this '70s Bradley with Seymour Duncan pickups to a fantastic young player last night:

IMG_0385.jpg

and someone is crackin' to buy this one now ('76 Gibson Marauder):

GibsonMarauder.jpg

I'd like to get down to 15 or so. I think I'd be more comfortable there but I doubt that I'll get to 15.

Archived