when do you know it is time to sell guitar(s)

trashedlostfdup

• Members

i have way too many guitars. 26 to be exact (i have several that dont fit in the sig :facepalm:).

i would say i have at least 6 or 7 that havent been played in 6 months.

two that sit in gig bags in the closet that havent seen the light of day in the last year or two.

and probably 3 or 4 guitars that have less than 10 hours of play on them.

but for some reason my pathetic ass cant seem to part with any of them. some of them are because i bought them as $150-$200 guitars on clearance and i would rather keep them than have $125-$175 in my wallet. does anybody else feel this way?

i do want to get rid of a few to fund a Les Paul Junior or SG classic and kind or get some more "nice" guitars than a bunch of "mediocre" guitars.

so two questions. when do you know its time for a guitar to go?

and does anybody else do the same thing and hord cheapies because the miniscule amount of cash you could get for them doesn't seem worth it?

• Members

I think that too many of us buy stuff just because we think that it's a good deal. My wife does that....I mean how does spending $200 on {censored} that we don't need to begin with because it's 50% off saving money? :confused:

As for an answer to your question, well I keep my collection down to about 7 main guitars and if I see something that I absolutely want and feel like I need to buy than I need to part with something in order to help fund it and free up space. My wife doesn't pressure me to do this, it's a personal discipline that I put on myself.

It may be stupid in reality, but it keeps me from having so much {censored} that I start to forget what I have because it's sitting in a case 8 layers deep.

There's a difference between owning some guitars because you play them and just hoarding tons of {censored} because you can.

Once again, this is just my opinion and I am not judging anyone, you asked for our input.

• Members

I was where you're at a few years ago. I had 26 guitars, and was starting to wonder why... So, I began to sell 'em. Each time I'd sold enough I'd get something I actually really wanted. And guess what? It worked. Now I only have eight, but they are all absolutely fantastic guitars. I went from having one so-so amp, a few pedals, and a ton of mediocre guitars to having a bunch of really nice vintage amps, custom shop guitars, and just an overall great rig.

...I guess what I'm saying is sometimes quality is better than quantity. Guitar equipment, it seems, often follows that rule.

• Members

Its funny because as I'm reading this, I know I just bought a guitar I don't need. I have 2 squier strats laying around and decided I wanted a Fender and bought a MIM. Now I'm like WTF. I have 6 guitars and half of them are strats.

Now I'm debating whether to eat the shipping and send the strat back or try to sell the squiers. Since I don't play anywhere outside my man cave, I'm leaning towards just sending the MIM back. Besides, I really need to update my amp. I'm currently playing a RP350 through a Princeton Chorus so I know I need something better.

• Members

I was where you're at a few years ago. I had 26 guitars, and was starting to wonder why... So, I began to sell 'em. Each time I'd sold enough I'd get something I actually really wanted. And guess what? It worked. Now I only have eight, but they are all absolutely fantastic guitars. I went from having one so-so amp, a few pedals, and a ton of mediocre guitars to having a bunch of really nice vintage amps, custom shop guitars, and just an overall great rig.

...I guess what I'm saying is sometimes quality is better than quantity. Guitar equipment, it seems, often follows that rule.

Yep, this is what I've done several times. I'm always happier in the end. I still have a few cheapies, and pretty much for the same reason as the OP. But, it's also nice to have a couple of those on hand, as long as their players, for lessons, road trips, or whatever.

• Members

I only sell when I completely lose interest. And I will usually spend some time agonizing over the decision. During the agony phase, I will play the potential ex-guitar a few times to see if there's something I'm missing. If there's a spark, it stays. Otherwise it goes.

• Members

I used to own a lot of gear. Don't care to anymore. Never plan on having more than 3-4 electrics. Right now I have three, though one is in pieces for future modding.

I also have an acoustic and a bass.

Someone once said if they had any guitars that ever gathered dust, they got rid of them. For me, that's a pretty sound policy.

I think it's great that a lot of folks have dozens of guitars..it just doesn't interest me. Too much maintenance.

• Members

Sounds like packratting. Getting something just because you can get a good deal on it and can afford it doesn't necessarily mean it makes sense...because all of a sudden 10 $200 cheapos equals a really nice guitar (or two!), or a short vacation, etc. In other words, you could redistribute that money more efficiently. Somehow I'm guessing if some of the guys who have 3 Epi Les Pauls sold them and got once nice Gibson or Heritage...they probably wouldn't fell the need to have 3 of the same guitar anymore.

• Members

For me, because I'm at about the same numerical stage as the OP, it's not a question of how LONG it's been since I played some guitar in particular, it's whether I'm developing a bond with the guitar. The bond may be of at least a couple very different types. For example, I have 2 guitars I've had since the early '80's. Both have issuesre live gigging, but they're not going anywhere for sentimental reasons.

Other than those (which are a distinct minority), the bond is not based on WHEN I last played them, but whether I do still WANT to play them. If so, they stay. It's rare I can't bond with a guitar in one of these 2 ways, although it's happened. Sometimes it's just time for a guitar to move on, but I make no hasty decisions.

• Members

For me, because I'm at about the same numerical stage as the OP, it's not a question of how LONG it's been since I played some guitar in particular, it's whether I'm developing a bond with the guitar. The bond may be of at least a couple very different types. For example, I have 2 guitars I've had since the early '80's. Both have issuesre live gigging, but they're not going anywhere for sentimental reasons.

I can relate to that.

My first electric, I'll never sell.

My main gig guitars are present in so many live pics that I just couldn't bear seeing them, were the guitars gone - even tho my live gigging ambition is gone for now.

The guitars I sold were good additions to my arsenal (mini-HBs, semi hollow etc) but just didn't click with me.

After a minimum of six month's neglect, I sold them - and it felt surprisingly good.

• Members
I think that too many of us buy stuff just because we think that it's a good deal. My wife does that....I mean how does spending $200 on {censored} that we don't need to begin with because it's 50% off saving money?
:confused:

As for an answer to your question, well I keep my collection down to about 7 main guitars and if I see something that I absolutely want and feel like I need to buy than I need to part with something in order to help fund it and free up space. My wife doesn't pressure me to do this, it's a personal discipline that I put on myself.

It may be stupid in reality, but it keeps me from having so much {censored} that I start to forget what I have because it's sitting in a case 8 layers deep.

There's a difference between owning some guitars because you play them and just hoarding tons of {censored} because you can.

Once again, this is just my opinion and I am not judging anyone, you asked for our input.

i know what you mean from your whole post, but to me the issue, i just dont know if i would rather have $150 in my pocket or still own the guitar.

for some reason it just doesnt seem like enough cash to justify getting rid of some of the cheaper ones.

Archived