OT for tattoo'd peeps ...

rvschulz

• Members

Maybe they'll console themselves knowing that you'll be old and still listening to {censored}ing stupid Terrapin Station.
:wave:

Not a big dead fan, but would still rather hear them than any number of mind-numbingly awful cookie-monster-vomiting-in-front-of-repetitious-detuned-thunka-thunka-insterspersed-with-the-all-too-frequent-mind-numbingly-interminable-weedly-weedly-weeeeeee-"music" that comprises much of modern metal....

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've had two 4-hour sessions ($120 per hour) worth of work on my half-sleeve...I'll need one more session for sure, and possibly a fourth for any additional detail work.

My artist is Trevor Collis...Check out some of his work on the link below...He's a very talented and creative tattooist!

http://ironagestudio.com/

Here is a link to view my artwork:

http://www.kpnt.com/Ink-Gallery/View.aspx?ID=130570

• Members

Part of the reason it took so long is that it's full colour, no skin on show at all, so it's more time consuming than an equivalent black and grey piece that has much less actual ink coverage. Plus, a huge element of the design is a tree running up from the wrist to the shoulder and the bark has so many layers of colour and shading that it took a big chunk of time.

Saying that, I'm always amazed when I see people post huge tattoos that they say were done in just a few hours. I've been done by 3 or 4 different tattooists and seen countless work and never seen anyone work as quickly as that.

I'd love to see it, it sounds amazing :thu:

Maybe I've just had quick workers tattoo me. My last sleeve was done by Alex Reinke, afaik the only european member of the Horioshi III family, and he lines and colours really quickly. Honestly, my full colour sleeve from Alex was probably 20 hours, not a lot more.

Same said for my other sleeve, which was done by the late Jason Saga, IMO prolly the best UK japanese tattooer. He did my leg too - a great guy and very sadly missed.

The quickest i ever got tatted was by Tim Lehi of San Francisco - ive been a huge fan of his for years and I got a realtively good sized piece from him in 3 hours on a chance encounter with him. Never seen a guy line so quickly.

I guess it all depends who you sit in front of :)

• Members

If getting tattoos = "living life to the full" and a "wild ride", your life must be pretty boring.

Ya know man, I was trying to be civil in my response to you, but let me just say, {censored} YOU , you closeminded, judgemental asshole.:wave: Post a picture of yourself, let's see what we can find about you that we don't like and discuss it.Different strokes and all that man. I see people everyday that look different from me and I accept them for who they are and don't pre judge them. If you didn't like people with ink , you shouldn't have come in this thread you prejudiced {censored}.

• Members

Ya know man, I was trying to be civil in my response to you, but let me just say,
{censored} YOU
, you closeminded, judgemental asshole.
Post a picture of yourself, let's see what we can find about you that we don't like and discuss it.Different strokes and all that man. I see people everyday that look different from me and I accept them for who they are and don't pre judge them. If you didn't like people with ink , you shouldn't have come in this thread you prejudiced {censored}.

Really?

I {censored}ing hate tattoos and think they look like {censored} but I've met some very cool people with tattoos and that hasn't stood in the way of us becoming good friends.

They aren't prejudiced toward me because I don't like the ink and I'm not prejudiced toward them because they do. We bust each others balls about it like friends do.

It's a two way street man and there has to be respect on both sides.

:thu:

• Members

Poop, I was gonna say that.

I have one tattoo, its a pic from the cover of "more scary stories to tell in the dark" by, well, complied by alvin schwartz, the art is by stephen gammell. They're kids books some of you might remember.

Anyway

It probably would've cost about 400 as it's my whole upper arm, but the bassist in my band is a professional artist who works in a shop, so she was free. Tits.

But yeah, they all hate when somone says "tat." They prefer "tattoo" and "ink" is acceptable I believe.

I remember the books. sick images man.

• Members

Ya know man, I was trying to be civil in my response to you, but let me just say,
{censored} YOU
, you closeminded, judgemental asshole.
Post a picture of yourself, let's see what we can find about you that we don't like and discuss it.Different strokes and all that man. I see people everyday that look different from me and I accept them for who they are and don't pre judge them. If you didn't like people with ink , you shouldn't have come in this thread you prejudiced {censored}.

Agreed 100% - I personally don't have any and at this point don't think I will, but many of my friends do and I don't think one thing less or more about them, just cool people I prefer to associate with.

What I'm not down with really (for me personally) are the people with all the facial and neck tattoos, but again, I have a friend who has several on his face and neck, he will tell ya that he wish he didn't get them but it was something he got in prison and it was more survival. He leaves them there as a reminder as to how good his life is now. But even he will tell you, that it hinders him with certain jobs and it does carry a stigma in society. I think sleeves and arm/body whatever are pretty well accepted.

I mentioned earlier about going into the business as an artists, I still think its' a terrible business to get into. It's already over crowded and it's a really hard way to make a living. I know a tattoo artist now who is really struggling with the economy being down and he is good.

• Members

I have two tattoos - one is a half-sleeve and incomplete, I still have one more session to do on it. So far it has been 6 hours at $150, so $900. Should end up costing $1050 when it's done.

(This is after the first session.. Now I have more colour and shading done.)

15142_356606505267_507825267_9829692_371

The other is an inner forearm piece which has about 4 hours of work put into it at $130 an hour, so $520.

5935_239455230267_507825267_7851449_7671

Lots more to come!!

• Members

I wasn't judging, just wondering how you're gonna feel about your tats bein all wrinkly and {censored}. Some of my best friends have tats, but they're strategically placed in subtle spots and aren't of skulls or flames or satan or something to try to show the world how badass you are

JoJo doesn't have those kind either, in fact he has one of the coolest I've ever seen, a really kick ass guitar amp tube!

These Orange pix only tats are kind of cool, something I'd consider, cryptic but meaning to those of us who know what they are:

orange_tattoo.jpg

• Members

Really?

I {censored}ing
hate
tattoos and think they look like {censored} but I've met some
very
cool people with tattoos and that hasn't stood in the way of us becoming good friends.

They aren't prejudiced toward me because I don't like the ink and I'm not prejudiced toward them because they do. We bust each others balls about it like friends do.

It's a two way street man and there has to be respect on both sides.

:thu:

Uh, I think that was what I was trying to say.

• Members

I wasn't judging, just wondering how you're gonna feel about your tats bein all wrinkly and {censored}. Some of my best friends have tats, but they're strategically placed in subtle spots and aren't of skulls or flames or satan or something to try to show the world how badass you are

Ok, but just because you don't like skulls or satan {censored} , who are you to judge who does ? Sounds like you are judging to me. How do you know those people are trying to look bad ass ? I've got some awesome looking flames that go around my ribs btw.

• Members

I don't have any tattoos and no plans on getting any.

I remember a few years back in Buffalo, I decided to start taking guitar lessons from some player at his house. Never met him prior but had a great conversation before our first meeting. The guitar instructor was intelligent, poised and articulate over the phone.

So I arrive at his house (wife + family and all) and he has tattoos up and down everywhere and piercing all over - the dude was about 45.

Turns out he was the best damn instructor I could imagine. All positive attributes from our phone conversation were confirmed in the first five minutes. Beyond that, the guy had amazing logic and artist creative skills. And could he teach!! I still contact him now and then to see how he is since I left the area.

Learned a life-long lesson from this guy.

• Members

thanks to everyone who has responded. i feel a lot more comfortable about my knowledge about this stuff. i am not into it nor would i ever be - i have enough pain in my art without getting physical pain involved for decorating my skin.

several of my college friends and many fraternity brothers over the years have gotten tattooed. most of my exposure was on the beach watching some semi-fine ass girl walk by with (what i still think of as) {censored} ME HERE written in some Oriental symbol just above her ass crack.

More recently, as some of my exposure has increased to some of the local immigrants, i have notices several women getting their names tattooed on the side or back of their necks.

by the way, i've seen ALL of the tattoo fail pics/posters - i collect those demotivational posters and they are the best.

i don;t have any particular affinity for or against them. my recent personal experience is at a local block party in the old downtown. i wandered into the popular bar for a water and a very pretty young lady started flirting a little. i flirted back - really intrigued because she had a very cool almost floor length skirt with a long slit down the side. not overtly sexual, really stylish. and very nice legs.

after a few minutes, she spun around a little more and i noticed her leg was tattooed wither with a dragon or a snake. very elaborate. started around the ankle and ... well i could see to mid-thigh it was still going strong. i must admit i'm curious about the ending. she's an artist - some sort of glass-blower/sculptor.

i hope is see her later in the summer with a little less clothing ...

• Members

thanks to everyone who has responded. i feel a lot more comfortable about my knowledge about this stuff. i am not into it nor would i ever be - i have enough pain in my art without getting physical pain involved for decorating my skin.

several of my college friends and many fraternity brothers over the years have gotten tattooed. most of my exposure was on the beach watching some semi-fine ass girl walk by with (what i still think of as) {censored} ME HERE written in some Oriental symbol just above her ass crack.

More recently, as some of my exposure has increased to some of the local immigrants, i have notices several women getting their names tattooed on the side or back of their necks.

by the way, i've seen ALL of the tattoo fail pics/posters - i collect those demotivational posters and they are the best.

i don;t have any particular affinity for or against them. my recent personal experience is at a local block party in the old downtown. i wandered into the popular bar for a water and a very pretty young lady started flirting a little. i flirted back - really intrigued because she had a very cool almost floor length skirt with a long slit down the side. not overtly sexual, really stylish. and very nice legs.

after a few minutes, she spun around a little more and i noticed her leg was tattooed wither with a dragon or a snake. very elaborate. started around the ankle and ... well i could see to mid-thigh it was still going strong. i must admit i'm curious about the ending. she's an artist - some sort of glass-blower/sculptor.

i hope is see her later in the summer with a little less clothing ...

[pix or it didn't happen :poke:

• Members

It's okay to have differing opinions regarding tattoos...If you don't like them, don't get one! However, it's not okay to pre judge people based on physical appearance. Think about it, plenty of people think musicians are scumbags...I'd argue that some scumbags just happen to be musicians.

Either way, I play guitar and have a half sleeve on my upper arm, but I'm respectful of other people...And, I'd like to think most people like me for who I am as a person.

FWIW, I also have two masters degrees, but you wouldn't know that unless I carried my diplomas around with me or you asked about my educational background.

• Members

I have a few tats myself, two are from Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer series, they were a little expensive. I reckon I've spent around $1500 on tats all together, and wanting to spend a little more. Prices vary around here, depends on what you want, flash art or custom, and then from shop to shop. The only thing I would tell your son is to never get a name tattooed on him, at least in a dark color. Remember: Tattoos are forever, Love is not. :thu:

• Members

i've always wanted a tattoo, but just never seen or come up with anything i like enough to actually get one. To me each tattoo represents a chapter in your life. I had a mate who got a tattoo of a bass clef in a fireball when he was playing bass in his first band. I thought that was cool.

• Members

Ok, but just because you don't like skulls or satan {censored} , who are you to judge who does ? Sounds like you are judging to me. How do you know those people are trying to look bad ass ?

Everybody judges people by their appearance. Everybody.

You can be the nicest guy in the world, and look like a dork, and everyone will assume you're a dork until you prove otherwise. Why people would want to go out of their way to get people to assume they're a dork is beyond me.

Yet studies have mostly shown that people into outrageous clothing, tattoos or body piercings generally have self esteem issues and would rather you judge them by their perceived disagreeable appearance, then by meeting them and simply not liking them. "You don't like me because you feel threatened by my tattoos!" Yeah, right.

Of course there are some people who just like them, but I'm sure that's a pretty low percentage. If you ask 100 kids in high school about some guy with a sleeve, they'd probably go "Bad ass, tough guy!" Then ask 100 working adults and they'll go "the guy who works at the car wash until he's 65."

The fact everybody seems to hide their tattoos when going for a job interview or to meet the new girlfriends parents tells you even they know it was a bad idea and they know they're going to be judged harshly by it.

• Members

You can be the nicest guy in the world, and look like a dork, and everyone will assume you're a dork until you prove otherwise. Why people would
want to go out of their way
to get people to assume they're a dork is beyond me.

Yet studies have mostly shown that people into outrageous clothing, tattoos or body piercings generally have self esteem issues and would rather you judge them by their perceived disagreeable appearance, then by meeting them and simply not liking them. "You don't like me because you feel threatened by my tattoos!" Yeah, right.

Of course there are some people who just like them, but I'm sure that's a pretty low percentage. If you ask 100 kids in high school about some guy with a sleeve, they'd probably go "Bad ass, tough guy!" Then ask 100 working adults and they'll go "the guy who works at the car wash until he's 65."

The fact everybody seems to hide their tattoos when going for a job interview or to meet the new girlfriends parents tells you even they know it was a bad idea and they know they're going to be judged harshly by it.

lulz@pretty much all of this

• Members

Just out of curiousity, what do you people plan on doing when you're old and wrinkly and realize the stupid metal tattoo you got is {censored}ing stupid

I plan to die when I am old, so the fact that I have tats doesn't change the plan. Each one is a memory of a time and place so when I am old I will still have those memories of when I was younger.

I got my 1st one 20 years ago, haven't changed my mind about them yet, I'm 38, have a wife and 3 kids but I got my nose pierced last year. I do it because I don't have to answer to anyone and if it offends someone I see that as their problem not mine.

• Members

You can be the nicest guy in the world, and look like a dork, and everyone will assume you're a dork until you prove otherwise. Why people would
want to go out of their way
to get people to assume they're a dork is beyond me.

I'm reading this out loud and masturbating