OT for tattoo'd peeps ...

rvschulz

• Members

What a dumbass.

No you are -- as I stated I have no issues what so ever with tattoos, however what he was stating is scientific fact about sterotyping. Take some psychology to understand this, now some of his judgemental views thrown in, yeah its bull{censored}, but the entire thing about stereotyping is is correct. We all stereotype in some way or another, whether its gender, race, religion, dress, style, etc. It helps us make sense of a complex world easier.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

i'd have to wear full finger gloves to "interviews" if i was so compelled to hide anything; but {censored} that. anyone that has a problem with the fact that i'm heavily tattooed can really {censored} right off. though, my client roster that includes some of the biggest companies in the world don't seem to mind.

suit and tie? {censored} that. i go to client meetings in a tshirt and jeans and chucks. i don't hide a goddamn thing. someone has a problem with it? {censored} 'em. i don't need 'em anyway. company policy? company policy can {censored} right off. you want my services? then you deal with ME.

and really, i LOVE when people stereotype me. {censored}'s so rad because it's so funny. go ahead and talk {censored}; i'm the one billing more in a month than you make all year.

all these lame mother{censored}ers playing by someone else's rules. must suck to be so scared by the machine.

keep {censored}in that chicken.

I'm aliensporebomb and I highly approve of this message....:thu:

• Members

We all stereotype in some way or another, whether its gender, race, religion, dress, style, etc. It helps us make sense of a complex world easier.

Plus, there's the fact that stereotypes became stereotypes for a reason. While they are obviously not always accurate, it happens often enough for people to remember it.

• Members

No you are -- as I stated I have no issues what so ever with tattoos, however what he was stating is scientific fact about sterotyping. Take some psychology to understand this, now some of his judgemental views thrown in, yeah its bull{censored}, but the entire thing about stereotyping is is correct. We all stereotype in some way or another, whether its gender, race, religion, dress, style, etc. It helps us make sense of a complex world easier.

Agreed.

No matter what we may think as individuals, society in general establishes certain parameters. What is abnormal? It's what falls outside of the medium curve set by the majority of society in general.

If your happy with it fine, but you must also accept society's view but the more someone says "{censored} everyone and what they may think", the more they call attention to themselves. At times, we strive so hard to be individualistic, that we end up looking like everyone else. Although they are sometimes looked upon as heroes in their small circle of friends, the are complete assholes to the rest of the world.It's easier to be "cool" in a small group of similar minded individuals, then socially acceptable with a larger group. Crying out "{censored} the world" is in reality a cop out.

In a job like aenemated has, where most work is done alone, it works out well for him and he seems to be very successful at it but as whatever you do for a living brings you in contact with more people, the more you will have to be aware of the interaction with them and what they think.

We will always be judged by those around us... how we look, drive, dress, what music we listen to, our education... etc. No matter how much we flip our fingers at them, nothing will change, we will always be judged, even by those who say they don't judge a book by its cover. It's just human nature.

• Members

I don't have any, but I like the artwork. Sometimes, I'd like to go up to someone with nice work, and ask to take a closer look, but it's not really socially acceptable, so I don't do that.

I get this quite a lot and I think it's fine, who doesn't like a compliment? As long as it's not a situation where you'd obviously be bothering or intruding on them, then I say go for it. Look at any forum when the subject of tattoos comes up, virtually all the tattooed folk come piling in with stories about their work, what their tattoos mean to them, the circumstances they got them in, who their favourite artists are, what they want next etc. All more than happy for an excuse to talk about their tattoos.

For most people with 'serious' tattoos (ie, more than a tiny dolphin on their arse), it's just an interest or hobby like any other. Not really any different to starting a conversation with the guy at the bus stop holding a vintage Gibson case that caught your interest.

• Members

If your happy with it fine, but you must also accept society's view but the more someone says "{censored} everyone and what they may think", the more they call attention to themselves. At times, we strive so hard to be individualistic, that we end up looking like everyone else.

meh. none of my {censored} has anything to do with being an "individual." i'm not trying to be "different." i just like being tattooed. i like getting tattooed. i like letting my dear friend create permanent art on me. i think it's a beautiful thing.

is that "different?" sure, i guess it kind of is; but it's certainly very far from my motivation for having it. i honestly couldn't give an explanation beyond "i like it." my mom asks me all the time why i do this or why i've done this and the only answer i've ever had is "well ... i just like it."

insofar as "{censored} what anyone might think" ... well, yeah. perhaps it's living in southern california that's spoiled me with this ABSOLUTELY CRAZY IDEA that people should be judged by what they're actually capable of producing as opposed to some societal norm of what someone should LOOK like.

and like i said ... if someone doesn't want my work simply because of my appearance - i really, really, really don't care. i wouldn't want to work for them in the first place. i've turned down extremely lucrative job offers in the past because i'd have had to take out my earrings or wear long sleeves or whatever silly little rules they may have had. i'll go back to delivering pizza before i lie about who i am just for the almighty dollar.

jello said it best ...

why don't you take your social regulations and shove 'em up your ass

• Members

Everybody judges people by their appearance. Everybody.

You can be the nicest guy in the world, and look like a dork, and everyone will assume you're a dork until you prove otherwise. Why people would
want to go out of their way
to get people to assume they're a dork is beyond me.

Yet studies have mostly shown that people into outrageous clothing, tattoos or body piercings generally have self esteem issues and would rather you judge them by their perceived disagreeable appearance, then by meeting them and simply not liking them. "You don't like me because you feel threatened by my tattoos!" Yeah, right.

Of course there are some people who just like them, but I'm sure that's a pretty low percentage. If you ask 100 kids in high school about some guy with a sleeve, they'd probably go "Bad ass, tough guy!" Then ask 100 working adults and they'll go "the guy who works at the car wash until he's 65."

The fact everybody seems to hide their tattoos when going for a job interview or to meet the new girlfriends parents tells you even they know it was a bad idea and they know they're going to be judged harshly by it.

The truth. No wonder everyone with tatts hates it. :thu:

• Members

Wow, I never realized how expensive TATTOOING (don't want to offend anyone here) was. Kind of scares me off even more now.

I don't have any for several reasons, but the main one is when I was younger I met an old dude in a barber shop. He was frickin 92 years old and cool as {censored}. He had one of those oldschool green Navy tattoos that was just stretched and worn all to {censored}. He said that it was the stupidest thing he had ever done and was tired of looking at it for the last 75 years. That made sense to me.

So my biggest problem with getting a tattoo isn't that they aren't cool, but I have no idea what I would want drawn on my body for the rest of my life. Perhaps I lack conviction or something.

Another reason (and I know that this is just a stupid story), but I had a female friend (extremely hot girl) who had one on her right breast that was the name of the love of her life. Of course they had broken up. Now I suppose that you could try to find another dude by that name, but his name was {censored}ing Melvin. Melvin....Jesus Christ, who the hell names their kid Melvin, who the hell dates someone named Melvin and who the hell gets that name ink'd on their boob?

I never slept with her though...I like to imagine that it was because the tattoo turned me off, but it had more to do with the fact that she wasn't interested in me.

• Members

I dont deal with anybody I dont want to deal with anyway, and if they are so short sighted as to judge me on appearance, then {censored} 'em, I aint gonna lose no sleep over it.

I got 4 currently, A Tribal thing on my left arm, a flaming skull on my right wrist, Some flames on my head, and an ongoing thing that is presently a big beastly head, but is intended to be expanded upon.

I had a mate do them for very cheap rates, and I got 'em bold and simple, so that people could see 'em when I was on stage.

I like 'em.

:thu:

• Members

y'know...Hitler said and did some pretty nasty things, but he looked like a funny little fella, just from outward appearances, not at all dangerous

just sayin'

True that and you never know, this gentleman here might be highly educated and a sweetheart. Who are we to judge?

50epicsupernerdphotos92.jpg

• Members

It's a sad truth that visible ink will very likely affect your chances of getting a job in certain fields but I'm not really affected as being an electrician everybody already thinks I'm a {censored} before they even open the door.

:lol: Priceless.

I don't have a tattoo and don't intend getting one, mainly because I'm a coward and don't like too much pain. However, I would count it like any other kind of prejudice to judge someone on their appearance like that. It's just wrong. In fact, my Daily Mail reading mother is really against them, which seems like the perfect justification for getting one... except I'm just a bit too afraid of the pain. And, it would look like a mohecan on Prince Charles on me.

• Members

JoJo doesn't have those kind either, in fact he has one of the coolest I've ever seen, a really kick ass guitar amp tube!

These Orange pix only tats are kind of cool, something I'd consider, cryptic but meaning to those of us who know what they are:

orange_tattoo.jpg

That there is {censored}ing awesome.

• Members

I have never had anyone come up to me and say; "Wow man, you don't have any tattoos, awesome!" I have always wanted one but I am a real pain {censored}. Same with those with tattoos, I see a good one, in my opinion, I compliment, see a bad one, keep my mouth shut, but judging someone because they have a tattoo never entered my mind. I spent most of my working years in downtown Austin, Texas and I saw alot of real fine art/tattoos. I am as educated and as degreed as anyone in here and the pros and cons are moot points. Everyone is unique and lets give that to one another with respect. This discussion is similar to "who has the biggest cock?"