OT for tattoo'd peeps ...

rvschulz

• Members

okay, i don;t have any tattoos and don;t plan on getting any. Several of my son's friends have one or more. none are prison tats, yet none come anywhere near what i think would be considered "art" - you know a pretty sleeve or an "integrated" set of tats.

Okay - how much does this cost in your area, and how much have you personally spent in your life and at one time ?

Obviously, if you have only one tat ... one payment. however, i don't think many of you have gotten multiple tats at one sitting, and i bet some take several sittings.

educate a tat dunce. thanks.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have 2 so far, my wife has 3.

The smallish one on my shoulder was like $50 or so (which usually seems to be kind of an unspoken minimum just for the time, supplies, etc.) and the one on my leg (you can see part in my avatar thought the tat is much better quality) was around $100.

Prices and time generally depend on the artist. Our guy talks. And talks. And talks. And talks. My wife's last one was a forearm vine/tribal band with an embedded picture and *should have* probably only taken a couple hours but went around 6 just because he talks more than he tats. But he's good and it cost the same as mine (gotten somewhere else) despite being far larger and more intricate.

Rates and times really vary depending on who you go to though. And as Sand noted, if you form a relationship with an artist for multiple or large pieces you'll probably get a far better deal than the off-the-street schmo.

• Members

both arms (shoulders to top of my hands) are covered - and all my knuckles have something on them; full backpiece is about 1/4 done at this point. also have an outline on my stomach that needs to get finished as soon as i forget how much it hurt.

somethin like 200+ hours in and have probably spent close to $20k over the course of the last 3 years. but this is with a much better artist than i've gone to in the past, as i've been getting tattooed since i was 18; but never with any cohesion. current guy's done an amazing job fixing that.

i generally do one full day session a month - approx. 6-10 hours of tattooing, depending on how it's going and how i'm feeling. i pay $600 per all day session.

the most important thing is find an artist you can connect with on a personal level. it's a hell of a commitment and most artists i've known/dealt with are complete and utter "cooler-than-thou" douchebags that act like they're doing you a favor. and when considering serious work; this is a mother{censored}er you're gonna have to be around A LOT - so it better be someone you like.

it wasn't until i met my current artist (who i also consider one of my best friends) that i really committed to REAL work. and it helps that he's just an amazing tattooer.

• Members

it can depend so much on the artist and also if you go in a with a design of your own (or a print out or something) or you ask them to design one from scratch. I drew mine myself so it was just a case of going in and my guy copying it. and do you know what, to make this post even more pointless, I can't even remember how much they (i've got 6) cost me, except my first little one of a tudor rose that cost me

• Members

I have 5. Both upper arms, one on my right calf, my sternum (ouch!) and across my shoulders. I've found a cool guy who's also an amazing artist and I generally pay about $100 an hour. I've never had an all day session like Trent was talking about. 600 for 10 hours is a pretty good deal if you ask me

• Members

I have two that I like better than the rest and has started my original only moto for all new tattoo work

My half sleave is at about $500 right now and will take another $200 at least to get the rest of the color in it.

031-4.jpg

And i really dig the way my calf came out...about $200.

032-2.jpg

• Members

FWIW, mine was also an original design, and we worked with the tattoo artist for about a week refining it until we had something everyone was completely happy with. Still, it was about 45 minutes in the chair, and I was charged $75.

My wife got a matching one on her calve, so that brough the total to $150, but it was 2 tatoos.

Mrs.PTat.jpg

• Members

I have 7 tats including a couple that I did the artwork for and had the artist do it ink.

My brother is sleeved out on both arms, and has somewhere between 6-10K tied up in tats, he has one artist that he likes in particular that he travels to go see, so the sessions are several hours at a time at $100 an hour.

• Members

my sleeves cost somewhere in the neighborhood of about $100-125 per hour for one of the top tier guys in my area. that's a discounted rate, for all the walk-in business i give them as well as being in the public spotlight around town in bands and such.

anyway - i'm a bit different from some other tattoo guys. i started at 18 getting big pieces done. but i don't go obsessively in a row. when ever i feel the need to get inked, i go in. there's no rush for me. i've got my whole life to do this.

• Members

I have 6 total right now. My first time, I got 4 done on my arms (I did it in one sitting) and I believe it was around $200 and took over an hour. The two others I got on my forearms were done separately at $40 each, pretty much just paying for the sitting fee. Also, all of mine are just shades of black. Going to get another one soon.

• Members

ive got a few. this one is prolly my fav. all my ink is pretty old, maybe 20ish yrs or so, and a little faded. if i remember correctly, this one was around 200, and took 3 hrs or so.

its 7-8 inches tall, and it took a while because there was quite a bit of detail in the feathers and what-not.

100_1429.jpg