Why Do We Continually Buy Guitars?

Bbreaker

• Members

Is that new custom shop Strat that we just bought better than the 1995 custom shop Strat we just sold?

Did I need a different LP burst because the grain was nicer than the one I just sold?

The current batch of 335's sound different from the 335's of 20 years ago, do I need to buy a current 335?

The current economy has put the breaks on my guitar buying but it's also helped me appreciate what I currently own.

What gives?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't. Haven't bought a guitar in 11 years. Settled on a #1 in '93 and settled on a #2 in '99 after several instruments. (can't say the same for amps, but I'm not exactly an amp a year man either).

I don't collect guitars. Nor do I subscribe to the often-cited, yet absurd, notion that you have to have certain guitars for certain tones/styles. Any more would just tie up money and space and I have too many other work and hobby related expenses (next major hobby expense -- pilot's license). Granted, your collection has proven to be an investment.

• Members

I'm getting closer to being satisfied with what I have...I'm not sure if it's the money issues I'm experiencing or what, but every time I go into my local emporium I find myself finding less and less to GAS over...

Maybe I'm just growing up?:idk:

• Members
I'm getting closer to being satisfied with what I have...I'm not sure if it's the money issues I'm experiencing or what, but every time I go into my local emporium I find myself finding less and less to GAS over...

Maybe I'm just growing up?
:idk:

Same. Actually, aside from my wanting to build partscasters all the time I really never feel GAS or the urge to add something to my current collection.

Amps and effects on the other hand I can never seem to stop GASing for; stupid pedal addiction. :facepalm:

• Members

to be completely honest......except for one more LP......i'm pretty happy with what i've got.....although i DO want to hang some TV Jones' in my 5120.....but otherwise....pretty happy.....well wait....maybe a second acoustic....yea, then i'm pretty happy........well there is that Player's Strat i was looking at.....but yea....then i'm REAL happy.......:facepalm:

• Members

We like to dream????

Though to be fair, whilst I'd love a collection like yours, I can't see (at this stage, may change later) the point of owning loads of simliar instruments.

My aim is to own a few professional quality instruments.

I got the Les Paul, just recently got an fantastic strat like guitar. That's 2 ticked off my list.

I want an ES 335 type guitar, top notch acoustic and top notch classical.

I probably won't get the next guitar for another 2 to 3 years now i think. Probably will be the ES335 type.

The fear is that once I'll have one each of those instruments, will I want more still?

Or will I divert my GAS onto something else?

:)

• Members

It is kind of amazing. But that's what many people just do I guess. I could easily fill a barn with guitars and amps given enough time, money, and leisure.

Have been getting a grip on things much better lately though.

Except for that Reverend from last month and the Fender Bassman I picked up last week. Oh boy.

• Members

I went through a phase but for the most part don't really need or want anything new or different. I realized when I had to sell off all my stuff a while ago that there are really only a few guitars that I like and feel comfortable with. Now I have those guitars and really don't want any more. If I have a good Strat, a good Tele and something with double humbuckers I'm pretty much set.

• Members

Because when you first started learning, you had a zillion guitar heros that played a lot of different instruments.

Then you spent a couple decades horse trading instruments, and realizing that no one instrument is ever going to suit all of the sounds in your head. Sometimes you're in a strat mood, sometimes you're in a LP mood, sometimes you're in a hollowbody mood......

Eventually, for me at least, you get yourself a stable of staple sounds from the instruments you've picked out.

But it's really, really hard to get out of the frame of mind that you've been living with for decades of every week hitting the stores, hitting the pawnshops..... You go to Guitar Center and say "there isn't a single instrument/amplifier/effect pedal in this whole goddamn store that I don't have a better example of at home."

Good thing I don't have an ebay account any more.

Remember - every additonal instrument you bring into your home means you will play the ones you already have less.

• Members

I'm really happy with what I have and actually have only bought 1 guitar in the past 4 years(Dano Hodad). I dont really need anything else, but as a guitar lover of course I see lots of stuff from time to time make me gas hard. If I have the money I might buy it. If money were no issue I would have a collection like no other. Lots worse thing you can spend your money on then guitars.

Archived