Why Do We Continually Buy Guitars?

Bbreaker

• Members

Continually buying/GAS..............or thinking about buying is dangerous. Two months ago, I bought a one of a kind UNK from Paul Unkert at his shop. It was a show guitar from the Germany show.
Now, I'm talking to Paul to make me a one off and for him to search his warehouse for a neck that's close to the serial # of my current Unk.
There's not many Unk's out there.
I need another one.:rolleyes:
Really?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Continually buying/GAS..............or thinking about buying is dangerous. Two months ago, I bought a one of a kind UNK from Paul Unkert at his shop. It was a show guitar from the Germany show.

Now, I'm talking to Paul to make me a one off and for him to search his warehouse for a neck that's close to the serial # of my current Unk.

I need another one.
:rolleyes:
Really?

i thought the trussrat :lol: would keep you at bay for a bit.

• Members

I need another one.
Really?

i truly think it's only dangerous if you over-extend yourself financially. if you ever make your purchase at the expense of a necessity for yourself or a family member, then you need to seek help immediately. as long as it's truly disposable income, then there's nothing to worry about (beyond physical space). i'm using the word 'you' in the universal sense; not directing it at anyone in particular.

• Members

Because guitars are cheaper than women.

Yup- it's what I told the wife when I bought my first for my birthday- mid life crisis, I can get a mistress, a sports car or a guitar. One of these is a lot cheaper than the others...

So far I can hold in the GAS for anything beyond the first (Yamaha Pac112) by reminding myself I'm a crappy guitarist- no point in having a really nice instrument unless you can play the hell out of it.

• Members

i truly think it's only dangerous if you over-extend yourself financially. if you ever make your purchase at the expense of a necessity for yourself or a family member, then you need to seek help immediately. as long as it's truly disposable income, then there's nothing to worry about (beyond physical space). i'm using the word 'you' in the universal sense; not directing it at anyone in particular.

At this point, I can only talk/think guitars.

Purchase, well that's towards the end of the year.

Space wise, I need to sell more toys.

• Members

I have three good players. One electric ($369 +mods) one acoustic ($220) and one bass ($250 with amp)

With my one electric being the semihollow, I'll probably add a solid ($379 if I get the one I'm looking at)

After that, if anything comes, something will likely go to make room. Hopefully, I can do some shrewd upgrades down the road, but I'll wait for the right bargain to pop up.

Hell, I'm lucky if I get to play an hour a day, so they mostly sit.

So, while I do like guitars, I guess I choose carefully what I get as I know my collection won't expand much. I also shop for bargains on whatever I'm after.

EG

• Members
I need another one.
Really?

15 years ago, when I was playing full time, I was lucky to keep two guitars up and going so I could eat. I was pretty content. I liked other guitars, but having lots of them seemed silly.

Today, I'm awaiting delivery of my 3rd Charvel Pro Mod in as many months. The wife asked 'why?'

'because it's a different shade of white than the last one'

shrug.

Guitars are fun.

• Members

15 years ago, when I was playing full time, I was lucky to keep two guitars up and going so I could eat. I was pretty content. I liked other guitars, but having lots of them seemed silly.

Today, I'm awaiting delivery of my 3rd Charvel Pro Mod in as many months. The wife asked 'why?'

'because it's a different shade of white than the last one'

shrug.

Guitars are fun.

ain't nothing wrong with having multiple charvels. Them is good guitars!

• Members

"Need" is about a dry bridge to sleep under and a well-stocked dumpster from which to forage food and clothing.

Guitars do not fall under the category of need.

Therapy might be a good substitute for need.

After driving 300 + miles a day, having some shopper cut me off, getting stuck behind some extremely old geezer (I only saw his hands on the wheel & a little of the top of his head) and having to deal with court clerks & judges (more on that later), I think the comfort of a guitar and the collection brings the blood pressure down.

• Members

I think you'll find that with the odd exception, the serious gigging musicians in this palce are the ones that have the least quantity and the least quality guitars.

The JJ Pistols and Frets99s of this world are generally cool with not that many half decent guitars

Maybe in "this place" but in the real world, out of all my friends and aquaintances that collect, hoard, worship vast quantities of guitars, pretty much all of them are serious gigging musicians.

Archived