Why Do We Continually Buy Guitars?

Bbreaker

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

im done with buying guitars.. i have more then i will ever need and i cannot get them in to playing rotation.. so thats where im at..

as to your question.. i think some folks buy them just for recognition.. there are a few cats on here who not even on new guitar day threads just post their gear so they can get people to say " gee thats a nice (fill in the blank).. im not saying every one dose this.. but some do..

jmho..

• Members
Question for all: Are drummers the same, better, or worse, when it comes to gear addiction?
:confused:

One of my friend knows someone who has 52, yes 52 complete drum kits.

He is wealthy, and surely must live in a castle or a warehouse.

Thing is, you can't just pick up a full drum kit - this bloke probably needs to 30mn before he gets to play any of his kits!!!!

• Members

I have recently developped the "need" for a tele. I might even buy a pretty decent one. And I am toying with the idea of buying a used mid-range (affordable but usable) floyd trem guitar just to see how I can abuse that thing and for the hell of it.

• Members

I'm always on the lookout for interesting projects because I like to build and work on guitars...but I very rarely look at new guitars at all anymore, or used stuff that's not a project. I'm very happy with the core of my collection at the moment.

• Members

I think you'll find that with the odd exception, the serious gigging musicians in this palce are the ones that have the least quantity and the least quality guitars.

The JJ Pistols and Frets99s of this world are generally cool with not that many half decent guitars

Totally. Check out my sig, I have 4. MIM strat is my most "valuable."

All the cash id like to spend on guitars is usually for this or that band throw-in type thing (shirts, cds, gas...) OR on new tubes and strings...picks, a microphone.

Basically I have just enought variety to cover my bases, and that's it. Too much playin to do to be buyin all the time.

But of course, I lust for everything.

I wish my sig read: CS Fender, Gibson, Gibson, and Gibson.... but it don't.

• Members

For me it's how I spend my disposable income. I don't go out and get {censored} faced (very often anyway), don't smoke, I spend my money of gear. I usually go for gear at good deals too - used on CL or whatever. I have 3 electrics (talking to a guy on CL now for a tele :facepalm:) and 1 acoustic.

• Members

Why do I keep on buying guitars? Because I am not allowed to buy a tank,space shuttle,volcano or any one of a million other goofy things I want but can not have. So I buy guitars and annoy the world with my playing which is no better on the ears then Alfalfa's singing.

• Members

I think you'll find that with the odd exception, the serious gigging musicians in this palce are the ones that have the least quantity and the least quality guitars.

I probably fall into the exception category here. I am an anomaly!

• Members

I have about ten guitars, but there are only two that I'm really comfortable playing. I just don't play very well on the others because of differences in feel and tone. So, I guess the other eight are just going to come out of their cases once or twice a year. It's pretty silly. The others are really nice guitars, but it takes some time to get cooking on them.

• Members

Because guitars are cheaper than women. Seriously, to me a guitar is kind of a work of art, and I'm by nature a collector. I admit my lust has slowed down, but I'm always on the lookout for a deal. Thanks to this list I've been able to find some deals on some pretty doggone good guitars.

I'm a couch picker and every few days I swap out and fondle another one of my collection.

• Members

Because guitars are cheaper than women. Seriously, to me a guitar is kind of a work of art, and I'm by nature a collector. I admit my lust has slowed down, but I'm always on the lookout for a deal.

You took the words right outta my head.

I just took delivery of number 53 today, a U.S. Masters EP with a quilted maple top.

I'm a materialist in more ways than one.

They make me feel all warm inside, but I do plan to thin the herd soon of a few.

• Members

I continually buy gear because I'm obsessive compulsive and am still a noob with GAS. Now that I have been doing this for three years it's actually getting tiring and frustrating. Buying isn't, mind you, but selling/trading is. Selling is the hangover that comes with buying. Fortunately, I've been slowing down on the buying because I've pretty much found what makes me happy gear wise.

This past week, however, I've really broken my "no new gear" pledge for 2010 big time. Fortunately, I paid a very good price for those offsets and will most likely keep only one of them. Although I am 100% satisfied with my Strats, being a Surf dewd I had to have a Jazzmaster and something with a JBL D130F in my collection.

Now that my setup is nearing completion I don't forsee any more large purchases. My goal is to finalize modding/fixing a few things, then selling off the excess that I seldom play. I was kind of hoping the economy would turn around so I wouldn't take big losses on the things I plan to sell. It doesn't seem like that's going to happen though.

• Members

Now that my setup is nearing completion I don't forsee any more large purchases. My goal is to finalize modding/fixing a few things, then selling off the excess that I seldom play. I was kind of hoping the economy would turn around so I wouldn't take big losses on the things I plan to sell. It doesn't seem like that's going to happen though.

The key is "nearing completion".

That could be a never ending quest.

• Members

I continually buy gear because
I'm obsessive compulsive
and am still a noob with GAS. Now that I have been doing this for three years it's actually getting tiring and frustrating. Buying isn't, mind you, but selling/trading is. Selling is the hangover that comes with buying. Fortunately, I've been slowing down on the buying because I've pretty much found what makes me happy gear wise.

This past week, however, I've really broken my "no new gear" pledge for 2010 big time. Fortunately, I paid a very good price for those offsets and will most likely keep only one of them. Although I am 100% satisfied with my Strats, being a Surf dewd I had to have a Jazzmaster and something with a JBL D130F in my collection.

I wouldnt think you would take big losses. you tend to get good deals. and thats the other part - its very difficult to resist a great deal when you have some decent income. fender friday was a killer. for a short while i thought i needed therapy.

• Members

I wouldnt think you would take big losses. you tend to get good deals. and thats the other part - its very difficult to resist a great deal when you have some decent income. fender friday was a killer. for a short while i thought i needed therapy.

I think losses happen when you sell too soon after a purchase..UNLESS you buy at a huge discount.

Archived