What model of Gibson does Steve Howe play with Asia?

mike.sartori

• Members

They're Gibson ES-Artists. Gibson had Moog Music(both were owned by Norlin at the time) develop active electronics for the RD Artist guitar in 1977. When the oddly shaped RD didn't sell Gibson put the circuits in several other models, in this case one based on the ES335, which first appeared in 1979. They had no f-holes. At one point during his original Asia days Howe owned 4 of them. The bass string side pickguard was something Howe added himself, claiming he was inspired a country guitarist he once saw with a similar arrangement.

• Members

25 years have really taken a toll...................

...and another argument in favor of a vegetarian diet! :thu:

Seriously, when Howe first had the ES-Artist back in the day I had major gas, but couldn't justify the (IIRC) $999 price tag :rolleyes:

• Members

They're Gibson ES-Artists. Gibson had Moog Music(both were owned by Norlin at the time) develop active electronics for the RD Artist guitar in 1977. When the oddly shaped RD didn't sell Gibson put the circuits in several other models, in this case one based on the ES335, which first appeared in 1979. They had no f-holes. At one point during his original Asia days Howe owned 4 of them. The bass string side pickguard was something Howe added himself, claiming he was inspired a country guitarist he once saw with a similar arrangement.

Before this he used to play a 345 live with Yes i beileve.

• Members

The man is one of "the" best guitar players in the world, period. For a string of several years in the 70's he was voted best guitar player in Guitar mags.

But yeah, the years haven't been too kind to him. I dread thinking what I'll look like when I'm wrinkly. :poke:

• Members

He's one of my all time favorites. I have seen him with Yes a few times and even saw the recent Asia reunion. I especially like when he plays the fender slide guitar on 'And You & I' and 'Gates of Delerium'

3727989422_8e8d24c08e.jpg

Is that a Variax behind him???

EDIT - Yes, it is; found the answer on TGP, and of course he got ripped in the thread for using Line6 gear. AND being sloppy :rolleyes::facepalm:

Archived