Noise issues....tubes? Guitar?

steve_man

• Members

Okay, I've been having this issue for the past couple of months. Never dealt with it before, but it is affecting both of my amps, or all my guitars...and I can't figure it out.

I have two amps, a Marshall Haze Combo, and a brand new AC15C1. Both are killer amps for sure, but I'm getting (especially with my Tele) a lot of noise. Sure, there is single-coil hum...I'm used to that. However, when I turn up to stage volumes and am not playing, it's so loud that it is very distracting for everyone on stage...and probably in the audience.

My Tele has been my main axe for over 2 years now, and this problem really started about 2 months ago. I really noticed it when I got my new Vox amp. Problem is, it's happening with both my amps, and with all 3 of my guitars (and 2 of them have humbuckers). I thought it might be a grounding issue, but I don't see any loose connections, or grounds that have come loose.

I tried a Monster power conditioner, and that did not seem to help, either. I was thinking of swapping to noiseless pups on my Tele, but the thought occurred to me that it might be the tubes in my amps. I plugged my Les Paul into a new Marshall Class 5 yesterday, and it was dead silent. So, that has me wondering. I bought the Haze used, and it was shipped cross-country. Bought the Vox new from Sweetwater, but it was shipped, as well.

Could it be as simple as bad tubes?

Thanks guys...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Amps can be a funny thing. I bought a stack recently, after playing combos all my life. Not only did I want to get a handwired amp, so I was upgrading anyway, but I wanted to ditch the tube rattle I had had so many problems with. It took about a week until I had a similar buzz, but it appears to be coming from a transformer. Still need to get in there and check it out.

I guess my point is that solid state technology was developed for a reason. I would never play a solid state amp, but they do improve upon the little annoyances of the tube amp. I'd check your tubes out by lightly tapping on each with a pencil eraser or similar material while the amp is on. If any of the them seems to produce significantly more noise out of the speaker of the amp, you're probably looking at a microphonic tube that is causing all of your noise.

• Members

It would be very odd that both amps have bad tubes. Does it matter which channel you're on? Might be able to narrow it down and save a little $$. Have you tried a different cable perhaps, it's a long shot, and shouldn't cause the level of noise you've described, but..........

• Members

yeah man, I've tried several different cables. My main cable is only a year old, and is a Mogami Gold. The Haze has always made some kinda funny noises when you first fire it up...but then it was fine. Now, it buzzes too...primarily on the gain channel is where it's most evident, although both amps do this on both channels.

• Members

Hmm...may have to call Sweetwater to ask them about that one...the Vox is under warranty

warranty on tubes is usually much shorter than the warranty on the amp, sometimes as short as 30 days. I don't think it's really a warranty issue. Tubes wear and get beaten up in combo amps. It's just the nature of the beast.

• Members

Okay, took a quick video (lighting is horrible, but you get to hear what is going on) with my cell phone. Not so sure it's tubes anymore, but maybe a grounding issue. Here's the video:

[YOUTUBE]rZOq3fA-s-w[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

yup, getting similar stuff from the Haze...it's just more pronounced on the vox...

Your vid sounds like standard noise. What else is on that circuit? Are there any fluorescent lights, dimmer switches or other electronics on that circuit? All those can cause similar noise.

• Members

Do you have any electical cords running across your guitar cable? Maybe even an adapter plug to a pedal touching a cable? Have you tried them in a different room?

Actually there's a noise issue in one my rooms where the electrical wires are routed btw the joists just under the flooring. If my cable lies over that spot in a certain way I get tons of noise. Steve if you are on the first floor go in the basement and check what's under you.

• Members

Channel One on my AD30 has just gone Microphonic a couple of days ago which similar issues as to those you've just described. Mines sounds like someone holding a mic to the wind. Do the tap-the-tube-with-an-eraser thing mentioned by songsforbears and double check :)

• Members

That soounds like its the guitar for sure.

What else could it be if it goes away wheen the volume is turned down on the guitar?

If it gets quieter when you touch the strings/bridge/knobs/pickups, then its bad grounding on the guitar.

Well, it could be a constant, and it just gets boosted when the volume is up.

Archived