Noise issues....tubes? Guitar?

steve_man

• Members

Do you have any electical cords running across your guitar cable? Maybe even an adapter plug to a pedal touching a cable? Have you tried them in a different room?

nope to the electrical cables...

Yup...tried them in other places, as well...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It sounds to me like your bridge ground is disconnected. The noise should diminish when you touch the strings. I notice that it is still quite audible when you play that is also an indicator.

If it is not that, then it's also a good possibility that you need to get yourself a can of contact cleaner and give all the electronics a dose or two. Oxidized contacts can cause the same symptoms as a disconnected ground.

I'd look into both of those scenarios before spending money on anything aside from the contact cleaner.

• Members
You might need something like this Radial ABY with a ground lift and phase switcher. Most people who have tried to use multiple amps have experienced exactly what you described.

535752.jpg

Do you mean multiple amps at the same time, or just multiple amps on the same circuit?

• Members

Do you mean multiple amps at the same time, or just multiple amps on the same circuit?

Multiple amps at the same time can create a ground loop which causes a buzz like you are experiencing.

If you use a splitter it should be one with a ground lift. That cuts the ground to one of the outputs coming out of the splitter.

• Members

yeah, but I'm not using them at the same time. I unplug from one, and plug into the other. They are, however, on the same power strip.

I listened to it again.It sounds like a ground loop or bad ground somewhere for certain. I would try contact cleaner before doing any surgery or poking and prodding. You might possibly cause a problem when there really wasn't one to begin with.

Oxidization can bridge connections that will cause what you're experiencing. You said it was stock, I Am assuming you haven't done anything to it's innards. I trust that a Fender American should have clean and proper solder joints. This has happened at least once on any of my guitars that remained stock. Squirt cleaner into the pots and switch and work them back and forth a few times.

• Members
Oh you are in NM. Perhaps its just interference from Area 51.
:evil:

except Area 51 is in Nevada...:D

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a ground loop issue. Gonna try some different things this week to pinpoint where it's coming from.

• Members

Here's the problem...I'm getting noise from all my guitars like this. It's the worst with my single-coils, but even my humbucker guitars are getting this type of noise.

Any Fluorescent lights, computer monitors, or dimmer switches?

• Members

yeah, there is a dimmer switch nearby. But even with it off, the problem is still there. I can hear a difference in noise if the dimmer is turned on, for sure.

Sounds like a noisy electrical system in your house. There may be something else causing noise on that circuit. Have you mapped out the circuits in your house and cataloged everything on them? You may need to run a dedicated service to your playing space.

• Members

I'm still half asleep, so please forgive me if you've already made this clear. Do you hear the noise in an entirely different location, say where you live or a buddies place? Are you running straight into the amp or using effects?

The reason I ask is that when I jam at one guys house I pick up what sounds like 2 different AM stations. If I run straight into the amp it goes away completely. I still need to take the time to figure out what's causing this.

At home my amp buzzes if I have the light on in the dining room (dimmer switch with fluorescent bulbs) with or without pedals. This one's easy, I just turn the light off.

Thankfully at the blues jam I don't get any noise, although I've been leaving my pedalboard at home to keep things simple.

Good luck!!!

• Members

Yes, I get the same noise in different locations. Playing at church, it's actually worse than this. And yes, I've eliminated the pedal chain to see if it was a pedal...still having the noise. It's very strange indeed.

• Members

Yes, I get the same noise in different locations. Playing at church, it's actually worse than this. And yes, I've eliminated the pedal chain to see if it was a pedal...still having the noise. It's very strange indeed.

Oh yeah that is very odd. I'd swap out the tubes and if the noise is still there have a tech check for bad caps.

• Members

I sent the video to my rep at Sweetwater. He and the tech guys are gonna check it out. They want me to ship the amp in for them to look at (on their dime...I love Sweetwater) to see if it's a tube issue.

Isn't really worth shipping an amp for a tube issue IMO. Then what? They put nice new tubes in it and then hand it over to UPS again? No thanks.

• Members

I sent the video to my rep at Sweetwater. He and the tech guys are gonna check it out. They want me to ship the amp in for them to look at (on their dime...I love Sweetwater) to see if it's a tube issue.

Geez - you don't get much better service than that!

Archived