Is it time for another apple related shit storm yet ????

flatfinger

• Members

http://www.pcworld.com/article/202613/5_reasons_why_people_hate_apple.html

While Apple kills those useful apps, it allows more than a hundred fart apps,including iFart Mobile, Atomic Fart, Fart Piano, 1,000,000 Fart Generator, and something called "Bluetooth Fart" (because, presumably, USB and Firewire farts just weren't good enough).
You stay classy, Apple

:lol::lol:

• Members

All I know is that the wifes Nano Just bit the dust and now , as the "systems administrator" of the new PC ( she had'nt bought any new stuff since the oldy got replaced ) I now get to sweat bullets cause I have to install quick time and god knows what else !!!( no choice , part and parcell with the I -tunes app )

....... all so she can continue to listen to music we already payed for ....

Yet I hate piracy and all the damaged caused by free music culture . I was just buying the few tunes I wanted over at pure tracks without all the proprietary BS that apple entails . When I told her that there were other MP3 players other than I-pod she was suprized .... The marketing machine and buisness savy of apple can't be denied; they are front and center at most electronics chains , even got into costco .

If I could figure a way to just get our music we payed for over to a creative labs ZEN!! ......

Guess I've got an axe to grind ;

I just hate software that adds stuff to my machine without even asking me first, then insist on it loading at every boot ; wheter I even use it at that session seems to be a non-sequitor to some programmers : Just slow down my boot so that your soft(mal)ware is always loaded .

Microcrap isn't any better , the Vista "back-up " makes it sound like making a copy of data files is all there is to do ; It says "you're safe now " as if a disc image took place or something !!"

If I had the brains I'd go linux !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Oh, I hear you on the invasive software front. I won't allow iTunes (for instance -- but hardly exclusively) on my machines based on long observation of others' travails. (I do have QT and it's a bit invasive, as well, but I don't think it automatically grabs all your media associations without asking like it used to.)

BTW, here's another article at PC World that really does cut to the heart of this story:

Apple Becomes Most Hated Brand on the Internet

http://www.pcworld.com/article/203085/apple_becomes_most_hated_brand_on_the_internet.html?tk=fv_rel

The market research they refer to uses a variation on what I used to call the "Sucks Index." Basically, checking product/pejorative correlations in search engines.

For fun...

I've done variations on that for some years now. Mind you, in match-ups of literal (all word) searches using "Windows sucks" vs "Mac sucks" and "Microsoft sucks" vs "Apple sucks" the MS/Windows searches typically turned up higher counts...

With 20 times the market share, you'd expect that. [but my results below show a marked increase in anti-Mac sentiment. Where that's centered is a a good subject for guessing.]

But what surprised me was that, even going back 5, 6, 7 years, Apple/Mac 'sucks' index returns tend to run about half the number of MS/Windows returns. If you do the math, that seems to indicate a considerably higher level of annoyance.

I also did "my Mac sucks" vs "my PC sucks" and a few other variants -- since I'm well acquainted with the equally obnoxious "Mac-hater" element...

Current suck index findings:

Keep in mind these are not adjusted in any way to accommodate the 20-to-1 market share gap...

"my mac sucks" - 144K results

"my pc sucks" - 614K results

"my windows sucks" - 108K

"my mac sucks" 144K

"windows sucks" - 34K

"mac sucks" - 193K

"os x sucks" - 122K

"osx sucks" - 1K

[EDIT: a couple more I thought pertinent:

"vista sucks" - 52K

"windows 7 sucks" - 74K

"xp sucks" - 43K ]

"microsoft sucks" - 24K

"apple sucks" - 232K :eek:

Obviously, not a scientific endeavor. ;)

• Members

http://www.pcworld.com/article/202613/5_reasons_why_people_hate_apple.html

:lol:
:lol:

The article clearly was written by an Apple fanboy.

I too love some Apple products. I love my Apple iPhone 4, and I am at least as fond of OS X as any Microsoft OS.

However, I think the number one reason to hate Apple is their anti-competitive stance on software for iOS. Not allowing apps to be written in anything other than languages of Apple's choice is bad for the consumer and even worse for programmers fluent in "non-approved" computer languages.

• Members

When OS wars force a basically decent, God-fearing company like Microsoft to use an ad agency that uses models with those eye-destroying "Keene Kid" big-eye contact lens (that model looks so friggin' weird with her eyes all bugged out like that) they can clearly be said to be truly a threat to all that is good and right...

[And, yes, there was enough sarcastic irony dripping off that first paragraph to eat a hole right through this whole BB system. ;) ]

FWIW, MS typically hires the most clueless advertising and marketing outfits around, as far as I can figure. How else could all those Macs continue popping up in MS adverts, even for Windows? It's a running joke in the industry.

I think I've seen one decent TV ad, ever for a MS product.

They made a great OS in XP. I'll give them that. But they've really lost their friggin' way... the only thing that will save them is the fact that now that a lot of mainstream type folks have actually had to deal with Apple, the bloom of that rose is fading fast... :D

• Members

Who cares? Buy what you want. At least we have choices. :)

I think hating is kind of silly. There are things Apple does that distress me, actually more so than Microsoft...but there are a lot of things they really get right, too. That's why I run both platforms. When one upsets me, I can go to the other one!

• Members

O.K. then ,

I-tunes version 9.2.1 installed on my Vista system; Took some time to install , but no major hic-ups. I'm happy that I was given the chance to decide wheter there apps took over all the media files !!!. It did ask to look for .ACC so that it could organize all the previous content existing on the computer , and , since I got the folder of the old machines BU archives an put it on this new machine it found them and was able to sync the new I-pod up nicely !!!!

Wifey is up and running with her new I-pod touch , and , I must admit that that interface is sooo much nicer . So that's the good ' now for the bad .....

So far I count 5 new services , all which are big on phoning home !!! I'll need to check for terminate and stay resident stuff in the start folder ... probably going to be something there for quicktime at the very least.

Overall not as bad as I had feared, but not real swell either ... programmers sure like to use the hardware as soon as it gets more powerfull . The machine doesn't seem to have slowed down , and boot time is tolerable ( almost ) .

EDIT : So all but 1 of the services are perminantley started , the rest start only as needed, 2 are in the start-ups . Overall pretty happy here !!

• Members

If I could figure a way to just get our music we payed for over to a creative labs ZEN!! ......

There's some AAC to MP3 converters out there. But I don't know of any free ones. (Probably a free one somewhere though...there's usually a free everything out there if you look hard enough.)

Short of that, I usually end up burning my AAC files to CD, ripping them back to MP3 and putting them on my ZEN that way.

• Members

EDIT : So all but 1 of the services are perminantley started , the rest start only as needed, 2 are in the start-ups . Overall pretty happy here !!

Yeah... that's nuts. I hate programs that load but don't unload.

They don't stay on my machine.

Whenever I install something I'm not positive about (typically consumer software, which is notorious for wasting resources), I make a point of setting a restore point and then, if it turns out that it leaves services running when it supposedly closes/unloads, I uninstall it and then do a system rollback.

Exceptions are utilities that have to stay resident -- but if they don't give you a way to unload them when you want/need, those don't stick around on my system, either. (And if they don't unload clean, they're gone, too.)

Ask yourself: why should a media player have to keep four services running in background when it is, itself, not running?

(Reminds me of the pernicious Qtask background service that Quicktime keeps putting back in your boot profile sooner or later every time you take it out. Disable it and, whaddya know, QT loads and works just fine. But chances are good that, within a few uses of QT, Qtask will be reinstalled and ativated in your system boot profile.)

Cynics -- or just those who've been around for awhile -- may suspect inefficient, intrusive software design that puts the company's needs first, not the user's. And just what is it doing behind your back while it sucks up your 'extra' CPU cycles? Ask yourself that.

• Members

Who cares? Buy what you want. At least we have choices.
:)

I think hating is kind of silly. There are things Apple does that distress me, actually more so than Microsoft...but there are a lot of things they really get right, too. That's why I run both platforms. When one upsets me, I can go to the other one!

Exactly.

And at this point, they both can get the job done just fine.

Who cares? Why hate? It's not like one of them is the Boston Celtics! :D;)

• Members

Exactly.

Who cares? Why hate? It's not like one of them is the Boston Celtics!
:D;)

Question is: Does the Celtics acquisition of Shaq make you hate the Celtics more or not as much? Anyways, how can you hate the Celtics when they beat themselves to let you Angelinos take the cake?

• Members

Exactly.

Who cares? Why hate? It's not like one of them is the Boston Celtics!
:D;)

Yep! I'm amazed and thankful to be living in this technological age. As far as being totally satisfied... won't ever happen. 100% satisfaction is 100% stagnation. Man is never satisfied. Sorry darlin'... We'll keep working at!

Never been a better age to compete with the big boys. Quality home studios in every home - at least it's in reach for everyone.

Kung Fu Johnny

• Members

Question is: Does the Celtics acquisition of Shaq make you hate the Celtics more or not as much? Anyways, how can you hate the Celtics when they beat themselves to let you Angelinos take the cake?

I'm totally kidding. I have a great respect for the Celtics even though, yes, I am a Lakers fan. They are a great rival, a worthy opponent.

I don't know how I feel about Shaq being on the Celtics. He's played for so many teams, it's difficult to think of him solely as a Laker. If he doesn't gum up the works and stays relatively healthy, which he should since he's coming off the bench, he makes the Celtics all the more fearsome. He makes the Celtics the best team in the East again, along with the other O'Neal. That's a *deep* team.

The Celtics made the Lakers dig deep to beat 'em. But I do think that the remarkable thing is that the Lakers beat the Cs at their own game, playing Cs-type ball.

But I have no doubt that the Cs will be back next year. They're deeper, improved. They are the team to beat in the East.

• Members

I hate the Celtics because they don't know how to pronounce Celtic.

(And my grandmother resented the Mac when it came out because she was not only a Celt, but a full MacIntosh. I may only be a quarter Scots/MacIntosh, but I certainly inherited the justly famous Scots sense of tolerance for the foibles and failings of others. :D )

• Members

I hate the Celtics because they don't know how to pronounce Celtic.

(And my grandmother resented the Mac when it came out because she was not only a Celt, but a full MacIntosh. I may only be a quarter Scots/MacIntosh, but I certainly inherited the justly famous Scots sense of tolerance for the foibles and failings of others.
:D
)

:D That's hilarious!

I don't hate them at all. They make a great opponent, a worthy one. I think the closest I come to hating a team is maybe the NY Yankees, and quite frankly, I can't even be bothered with them. It just doesn't matter. The only thing that bothers me about the Celtics are some of the fans. I like the really loyal fans that they have, but some of them are really obnoxiously strident. Other than that, they're obviously one of the great teams of the ages, with an amazing history and passion for the sport.

• Members

The only thing that bothers me about the Celtics are some of the fans. I like the really loyal fans that they have, but some of them are really obnoxiously strident.

ROFL! I would like to remind you and everyone else that the person who made the above comment resides in ... drum roll please ... Los Angeles!

:thu:

• Members

:D
That's hilarious!

I don't hate them at all. They make a great opponent, a worthy one. I think the closest I come to hating a team is maybe the NY Yankees, and quite frankly, I can't even be bothered with them. It just doesn't matter. The only thing that bothers me about the Celtics are some of the fans. I like the really loyal fans that they have, but some of them are really obnoxiously strident. Other than that, they're obviously one of the great teams of the ages, with an amazing history and passion for the sport.

They're basketball, right?

• Members

The article clearly was written by an Apple fanboy.

I too love some Apple products. I love my Apple iPhone 4, and I am at least as fond of OS X as any Microsoft OS.

However, I think the number one reason to hate Apple is their anti-competitive stance on software for iOS. Not allowing apps to be written in anything other than languages of Apple's choice is bad for the consumer and even worse for programmers fluent in "non-approved" computer languages.

Yeah, this. I love my iPhone as well, but this sucks and I will continue to say so. Loudly.

In my opinion, the most of the hate against Apple comes from people who can not afford to buy one of their products and think their cheap-o PCs can do exactly the same job for a thousand bucks less; so, the immediate reasoning is that people buying Apple computers are moronic, brain-dead fan boys.

... that or I just hate PCs. :lol:

• Members

Who cares? Buy what you want. At least we have choices.
:)

I can certainly understand why one could be bothered by a policy or a decision that a company makes. But hating a whole company? I don't get it either.

Best,

Geoff

Archived