Sales DO NOT equal talent!!!

ak47dragunov

• Members

if buying = talent, this forum'd be the most talented group o' gee-tar players anywhere.

buying isnt talent, its for suckers. the real talent is in getting free stuff!

i used to have a friend that could manage to get nearly anything for free, from clothes to cel phones to new cars.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is this about again?

Basically that popularity has little to do with talent? I suppose to a point.

But talent doesn't mean that you can write a song that's got more merit to it.

You are talking about musical taste, not talent at that point. Higher sales just means that more people like it and that has little to do with technical abilities; it has more to do with popularity and an emotional connection.

There's talent in that; it's just not measured the same way.

• Members

Typically I do not want to say that some people do not deserve their success. However,

Autotune is a crime against music. It sounds good sometimes, but it's so overused and conceals so much bad songwriting and lack of talent.

• Members

Typically I do not want to say that some people do not deserve their success. However,

Autotune is a crime against music. It sounds good sometimes, but it's so overused and conceals so much bad songwriting and lack of talent.

how does autotune conceal bad songwriting?

• Members

There is a talent in writing music that masses of people like.

you can market it in any way you want, but if people dont like what they hear, they arent going to buy it.

what YOU like, or what I like, doesnt matter. Were are as right or wrong as anyone else that we dissagree with.

But just because you may not like something that is wildly popular, even if you think it is the most mindnumbingly stupid thing you have ever heard, it still reached and effected masses of people enough for them to like it enough to buy it.

I challenged the whole forum in a thread a few weeks ago, to show us just how easy and how little talent it takes to create, write, record, produce, market, and sell a song that becomes a major world wide smash hit. I have heard so many people make the statement that it doesnt take talent to write popular music, that the challenge went out.

So far we have ZERO smash hits on the books from anyone that read that thread, yet the claims of it not taking talent, yes, including musical talent, to sell music to masses still gets spewed forth on a daily basis.
:blah:

I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but the proof can
only
come when someone actually DOES it, istead of just claiming how easy it is.
:rolleyes:

I still challenge ANYone to prove me wrong. In fact, I DARE YOU!!!!
:cop:

Ill be eagerly awaiting.
:wave:

I also challenged YOU to do the same thing you were wanting everyone else to do in that thread...you did nothing ! Case closed!

• Members

Just keep telling yourself that your lack of ability to craft music with mass appeal has nothing to do with your lack of musical talent. Keep telling yourself that mass appeal has nothing to do with talent. But, there was that one musician, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, who was massively talented and created lots of excellent music that had mass appeal. Just keep telling yourself Mozart was a hack! :D

• Members

It's the material that sells, far more than the technical chops. Sure, the Beatles became reasonably competent (with the help of a LOT of studio widgetry), but what they did was write songs, hooks, catchy melodies. Nobody ever accused Kurt Cobain of being a wizard guitarist, but his songs stick in your mind. Great songs (and competent agents and marketing) are where the money is.

Conversely, we might be dazzled by someone like Eric Johnson, or Tommy Emmanuel, or Frank Vignola, or Guthrie Govan. But none of them are great songwriters. Not many technical phenoms can make the big bucks doing versions of others' hits except with 10 times as many notes played 10 times as fast.

If you wanted to be a rich and famous musician, and you got to choose between being able to play guitar as well as, say, Alex Liefson or write songs as well as Cobain (and play no better), it's a no-brainer.

And I'd say that after the material (I include arrangement with material), it's stuff like marketing and production. Kiss hasn't been hauling in a gazillion dollars a year because they have musical skill. And it's almost hard to tell whether Gaga or Madonna or Spears have any musical skill, because that's not what they're selling.

• Members

you're just jelous T-Pain beat you to it :cop:

• Members

If there's one response I absolutely can't stand, its "Well
blank
sold a squillion albums so he HAS to be good!" NO! Sales do not equal talent. Sales equal marketability, not talent or substance. Look at Rush for example: three talented individuals making music for 30+ years and have sold about 40 million albums. On the flipside a band like Linkin Park who pump out vile, disgusting, down-tuned rap, screaming {censored}e sell 50 million in a fraction of that period of time. Rant through...phew. Discuss

Well, it does kinda, because if you suck you won't sell a damn thing.

• Members

Tell that to William Hung.

Quarter of a million in sales of his first record.

Yup, first!

He got a three record deal!

He was an American Idol {censored} head. There was no risk due to the marketing that show provided based on the all the sappy hearted {censored}heads that watch. Basically, in his case, it's all profit and easy money to be made. Now, if you take a talented band or person starting from scratch without AI, they have to have something special because you'll lay out a fortune just promoting them and they'll have to kick some serious ass just to show a profit and talent will dictate. You do understand the huge difference don't you?

• Members

He was an American Idol {censored} head...You do understand the huge difference don't you?

Well, {censored} stick, you entirely missed the point. Here...let me get remedial for you...the point being:

sales do not equal talent

• Members

Genius.... Im not the one claiming how easy it is. :poke:

It DOES NOT MATTER weather or not you claim you can do it idiot! (apparently you CAN'T!) You are wanting someone else to do what you yourself will not...or can not. Who made you judge? Nobody!

And I think the point is already made, Sales do not equal talent. You can have huge sales because of a TV show like American Idol.

It does NOT mean you are going to have the kind of talent like the Eagles or Fleetwood Mac had simply because you won a TV contest!

How many dollars you have means SQUAT to your talent ratio! It simply means you are "marketable" with the right people backing you up! And WITHOUT them you are still squat!

Case in point....look at the partridge family! They had their own show and everyone in the 60's wanted them to go on tour...they were not a band though. No one played their instruments except for David Cassidy or even sang, they all had studio musicians and singers to make the songs that even became popular on the radio. They had absolutely no talent and some of their songs were high on the charts. BUT IT WAS NOT THEM....it was the studio musicians and singers that made the songs for the TV show!

Same with the Monkees, though later on the Monkees did try to learn their instruments to make an album. It was too little, too late though as their popularity began to dissappear by the time they did release an album with them playing their instruments on it.

Archived