Found an old one...

mrbrown49

• Members

...Mix is kinda murky but I like it. Did this one about 7 years ago with an sm57 through a soundblaster card so it is what it is.

For those interested the Guitar is an ibanez artist through an ampeg gemini I. For some reason that amp records really nicely, and usually sounds even better than it does 'in the room.' Drums are done with a boss DR770.

A trip down memory lane for me but hope you enjoy. :thu:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9632537

• Members

Definitely diggin it! I always liked Ampegs of roughly that vintage. I played through a Gemini II for several hours one time, giving some appraisals. I was kinda scared because of the 2 prong plug and the probably original tubes, but it sounded really great in an earthy, bottom-heavy without sounding boomy.

Also think those were some pretty decent-sounding drums for a machine!

• Members

Definitely diggin it! I always liked Ampegs of roughly that vintage. I played through a Gemini II for several hours one time, giving some appraisals. I was kinda scared because of the 2 prong plug and the probably original tubes, but it sounded really great in an earthy, bottom-heavy without sounding boomy.

Also think those were some pretty decent-sounding drums for a machine!

Thanks man. I love gemini's too. There's something about the Q response that just sounds great to me. They sound full, bassy and round without taking up too much room in the mix. To me it almost sounds like there is a scoop in the lower mids. The treble control is also at a much higher Q than most amps.

Canned drums are a frustrating affair for me. i'm rarely happy with them. For this I had to program a custom kit with a bunch of snare hits that sounded similar but different. I think I tuned them slightly differently and played with the decay a bit on each so they sounded more natural, and different from each other. That was an attempt to mimic the way real drums sound slightly different when a drummer his the head in slightly different spots on the head. It's not perfect, but at least its somewhat passable unless you are paying close attention to them. i also turned quantization off. That really helps keep it from sounding robotic.

• Members

Not bad Mr Brown.

If you want I'll master that for you and get it sounding twice as good. Theres a few resonant frequencies blocking the rest from sounding like it should. It should be a pretty easy fix. I got some decent waves plugins that will fix that right up.

I dont mess with anyones stuff without their permission though. You'll need to PM me with your permission to tamper with it. bsically I'd get your EQing fixed, add some multiband and limiting, and some high frequencu emulation if its needed, then post the results back.

• Members

...Mix is kinda murky but I like it. Did this one about 7 years ago with an sm57 through a soundblaster card so it is what it is.

For those interested the Guitar is an ibanez artist through an ampeg gemini I. For some reason that amp records really nicely, and usually sounds even better than it does 'in the room.' Drums are done with a boss DR770.

A trip down memory lane for me but hope you enjoy.
:thu:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9632537

Cool song. Reminded me of the Country Rock of the late 60's-early 70's. Trip down memory lane for me as well. Nice, relaxed feel. Guitars sound sweet.

• Members

Not bad Mr Brown.

If you want I'll master that for you and get it sounding twice as good. Theres a few resonant frequencies blocking the rest from sounding like it should. It should be a pretty easy fix. I got some decent waves plugins that will fix that right up.

I dont mess with anyones stuff without their permission though. You'll need to PM me with your permission to tamper with it. bsically I'd get your EQing fixed, add some multiband and limiting, and some high frequencu emulation if its needed, then post the results back.

Cool tune! :thu: And I for one would find it very interesting to hear this mastered and comparing the results. :wave:

• Members

Thanks man. I love gemini's too. There's something about the Q response that just sounds great to me. They sound full, bassy and round without taking up too much room in the mix. To me it almost sounds like there is a scoop in the lower mids. The treble control is also at a much higher Q than most amps.

Canned drums are a frustrating affair for me. i'm rarely happy with them. For this I had to program a custom kit with a bunch of snare hits that sounded similar but different. I think I tuned them slightly differently and played with the decay a bit on each so they sounded more natural, and different from each other. That was an attempt to mimic the way real drums sound slightly different when a drummer his the head in slightly different spots on the head. It's not perfect, but at least its somewhat passable unless you are paying close attention to them. i also turned quantization off. That really helps keep it from sounding robotic.

you should check out addictive drums if you program your drums on your computer, it's a great plugin and it uses a ton of samples to produce a realistic sounding drum track.

• Members

Very nice. I like that.
:cool:

Drums were good for canned stuff, I don't have the patience to do any programming with my machine. It's hard enough going through the 100s of presets and choosing one, and then picking a tempo. You done good with 'em.

Me neither....well done!

• Members

Thanks everybody. Figured it was about time I started sharing stuff around here, and your kind words mean alot. :)

you should check out addictive drums if you program your drums on your computer, it's a great plugin and it uses a ton of samples to produce a realistic sounding drum track.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out. I've only used my drum machine to program, but honestly I'd rather do it on the computer than on those little pads and two inch screen.

• Members

Heres two versions of the mix. What I did was used Har Bal to EQ, Used Waves Multiband to even up the frequency dynamics, Used Optimum Baselane to Center the Lows, Used waves S1 Imager to mono up the snare a bit, Used Waves L2 limiter to Get it up to CD level. The second one I pulled it back into Har Bal to add some stereophonic "Air" back in.

Drawbacks were I was working with an MP3 file and had to convert it back to a wave file to work on it. I left it as a wave file for you to download bacause another conversion back to MP3 would degrade it more. Anyway, some of those bad resonances are gone. I could so alot better with the original tracks but its an example of what 5 minuites work can do with some decent tools and experience in restoration. Enjoy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1682170/scottwilliams%2Bsofa%20Master1.wav

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1682170/scottwilliams%2Bsofa%20Master2.wav

Archived