Ibanez Tubescreamer or ...

Stackabones

• Members

I had the Ibanez and it was nice. I ended up with the Maxon OD-808 which is a little cleaner sounding IMHO - you hear a little more detail in your playing.

I use it with the drive turned all the way down and the maxon was about $60 when I bought mine now I have seen them for $200 - which is stupid so YMMV

• Members

I've owned both a TS9 (I modded it to Keeley specs) and a Bad Monkey.

Guess which one I still have? The BM. The two tone knobs make it much more versatile.

The TS9 is an ok pedal, but for me it shapes your tone way too much. I prefer something more transparent like the Fulltone OCD or the Timmy.

Are you specifically looking for that tubescreamer sound or are you just looking for a good overdrive?

• Members

I have an old TS-10, a Berhinger OD800, a Boss SD-1, a MXR Classic, and a Bad Monkey. It may just be that I'm growing old and don't hear so well anymore, but to me they all sound pretty much the same. If any one of them is a bit different, it would be the MXR.. a bit throatier and grittier. I like the Bad Monkey because it gives a bit more tone control (separate treble/bass pots).

I'd say, if you would pick any tone you want with one of these pedals, you could get within 95% of it with any of the others.

• Members

I have an old TS-10, a Berhinger OD800, a Boss SD-1, a MXR Classic, and a Bad Monkey. It may just be that I'm growing old and don't hear so well anymore, but to me they all sound pretty much the same. If any one of them is a bit different, it would be the MXR.. a bit throatier and grittier. I like the Bad Monkey because it gives a bit more tone control (separate treble/bass pots).

I'd say, if you would pick any tone you want with one of these pedals, you could get within 95% of it with any of the others.

Wise post, though it just flies in the face of GAS! I think your post is the little voice in my head telling me the same thing.

• Members

I like the TS pedals more than the Bad Monkey because the BM sounds a bit more boxy and the TS pedals sound more spatial, BUT!!!! I totally agree that the BM is a great pedal for the money and having the bass boost built into the BM is a huge plus for amps that need that, otherwise you need to also hook up an EQ pedal.

With the TS 808 it is more subtle and warm fuzzy, TS-9 is a bit harder, but you can still play it with the drive level all the way down and get a nice little EQ hump out of it which adds more string to string definition. :thu:

The Fulltone OCD has been my fave for a while. I regard it as being more aggressive than the TS pedals, but it's still a very smooth sounding OD pedal with two diverse modes, one sounding more Tweed and the other more Marshall. It's my fave at the moment.

I've got a Blood Drive that's never been out of the box, wife bought one too many last X-mas (i.e. she bought one for me when I'd already bought 3 :lol:). It's not at all like its description portrays. It's better for that violin-like distortion tone than any other pedal I own. If anyone is interested, we'd let that go for cost plus shipping.

Archived