Kirkster's Lefty Lounge - Lefties, share your stories.

kirkster57

• Members

Well, the Epiphones are made in China and everyone runs around talking about how all these guitars are made in the same 3 plants, just different production runs. I figured why pay for the Epi (read: "Gibson Jr.") name.

So the experience here with the Epi G400 has been good? I don't care about the pickups much as I would eventually replace them anyway, it's the wood and the feel and the construction I am concerned about. I would like the neck binding but I guess that's not a huge thing.

Any place in particular you people would recommend finding a lefty Epi SG in the USA (or Canada I suppose)?

Oh and thanks for the input everyone!

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by dirtnap101

Well, the Epiphones are made in China and everyone runs around talking about how all these guitars are made in the same 3 plants, just different production runs. I figured why pay for the Epi (read: "Gibson Jr.") name.

So the experience here with the Epi G400 has been good? I don't care about the pickups much as I would eventually replace them anyway, it's the wood and the feel and the construction I am concerned about. I would like the neck binding but I guess that's not a huge thing.

Any place in particular you people would recommend finding a lefty Epi SG in the USA (or Canada I suppose)?

Oh and thanks for the input everyone!

Epi's are made in a plant in China that actually belongs to Gibson, not a contractor. I don't have any experience with the SG's, but my Dot is a pretty darn nice guitar for the money - Grover tuners, nice clean and smooth 'buckers, excellent construction and finish and it arrived after having been inspected and setup in the U.S. - action was buttery-smooth and intonation was perfect all the way up and down the neck on each string. In short, don't knock the newer Epi's 'till you try 'em.

• Members
Originally posted by LameLefty

I understand that this series is not a "photo top", but is in fact a thin (1/16") or so veneer of flamed or quilted maple on about a 3/4" arched maple cap. The rest of the body is mahogany.

Interesting, but we'll not get a chance to see for ourselves for quite some time. Why?

YOU BOUGHT THE LAST ONE!!!!

My wife told me today she tried to surprise me for Valentine's Day, and Kurt is sold out of the 2800 Blue quilt lefties. They don't appear on the site. None until sometime this spring.

Hey, that's OK. It's not like I've been saving for a year, and you snatched it from out of my hands. Noooooo... not like that at all! GRRAARRGHHDFSJIJEOSNVO!!!11!!

Ok, I'm fine now.

Appreciate it, my lad. You have MY guitar in your house. :(

• Members

I have no idea if it's worth trying to get one shipped from the UK. I've looked for Tokai SGs but I've come up empty.

Nice to see more FDP lefties join us here!!!!

The following Tokai SG's are in stock in the UK right now: USG 350 (Cherry '61 style hard tail Custom - made in Korea), USG Korina ( a Standard in solid Korina - MIK), SG 60 ( a Japanese made Standard in black - VWH or Cherry) + an SGB43 ( a MIK SG bass).

For you lefties who are looking for an ES style, they currently stock 2 lovely MIJ ES120 ( that's a dot in solid flamed maple), and 6 ES60 (MIK dot in cherry finish). The first costing 899,- pounds and the Korean 499,- pounds.

I ordered a Tokai SG in limbawood ( Korina) and Tokai Bob is shipping it over today. Price 299 british pounds + 50 pounds for a Tweed style Tokai case. It seems Gibson once produced 500 SG's in Korina, but I doubt if one is a LH. So I am looking forward to this alternative. Let you know...

Soon
Rico ( alias papa hendrik)

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by LeftyLang

Hey Kirkster...how about one of these in a Lefty?

What do we need ..6 ?

Yo Langfin,

Like that a lot! We know what the custom shop versions of a DC junior cost. Guess this is somewhat less expensive?

The pics of the Dillions you guys are showing look promising. Someone in the lounge already made clear that Dillions and Korean Tokais are built in the same factory. Up to now I have not yet had the pleasure to play a truly great Korean made instrument yet.

Who of you is actually playing Dillions.....?

FYI, Tokai is offering a DC Junior as well, made in Japan, price 1.300 us dollars. To be ordered. What is the price of the Dillion?

• Members
Originally posted by jfreaksho

I was looking at pictures in this thread, and, even though I'm lefty, and I play several lefty guitars, seeing them on a wall or seeing pictures of them still often looks "wrong". It makes it easy to pick them out at a store, but it's weird. My eyes tell me they look wrong, but I own several. Once they've been in my house for a while I get more used to them, but even mine look odd sometimes.

Maybe it's because everytime I see myself playing them (in a mirror) they look righty. 90%+ of all the guitars I see are righty. Do you guys get this too?

J.

I know what you mean, I get this sometimes too - typically though only when the guitars are sitting vertically (like on a stand). Not really when they're being played.

I agree once they've been in the home lair for a bit, they look more "normal" ;)

• Members
Originally posted by kirkster57

I jsut bought this one a bit ago. It was feature in this months guitar player. it recived the golden pick award. it cost me $350 brand new. Should have it in a few days. There are more if you are interested.

It is the Malden Mozak

kirkster

maldenmozak.jpg

maldenmozak2.jpg

ooh, {censored}, is that sweet !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Members

BTW, once I e-mailed Joe Naylor (head of Reverend - so-called the music company that gives a damn... :rolleyes: ) and asked him why he didn't give a damn about lefties (I must say I love the shape of his axes and I wouldn't mind trying one, were it possible... :mad: ). He replied a lot of BS, like they'd need to get LH tuners and that would cost them a {censored}load of money and stuff. Asshole. :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally by Kirkster
It is the Malden Mozak!

Its a jagstangstratbodytelepups.

That must be the best of Fender combined in one guitar.
Congratulations, Kirkster, you do pick out the specials!!
Let us know how it sings?

;)

• Members
Originally posted by LeftyLang
Hey Rico....
I am sure the Dillion Jr's will be around $500.
I think we need 6 lefty's in before Dillion will do a special run.

Yo Langfin and loungers
See, I 've been looking for the right double cut for quite a while. I used to have a Gordon Smith Special that I foolishly sold once. Ever since I miss that shape.
Southpaw has these greatlooking LP Classic DC's with humbuckers or P90's, but they just raised the price to 2000+. The alternative is a LP Special faded series, but these have a bad reputation, ... I dunno what to do.
The Dillion looks fine, so does the Tokai.

Lefties, that is too much choice, we are just not used to deal with such situations.
:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by arnoldziffle

maldenmozak2.jpg
staggjag.jpg

I have never heard of this brand until now, but check out the similarities in body style.

I'd like to hear your impressions of it when it arrives.

After reading the GP review I decided to search for Malden posts and came across this thread. I have a Malden Keyser and it

• Members
Originally posted by arnoldziffle

maldenmozak2.jpg
staggjag.jpg

I have never heard of this brand until now, but check out the similarities in body style.

I'd like to hear your impressions of it when it arrives.

That second one is a Stagg, isn't it? They're widely avaialbe here in the UK, as a budget brand. Never tried one myself, but they're supposedly quite good for the money, and they offer things that looks that little bit different - rare enough at that end of the market, doubly so when it's a lefty.

Archived