Kirkster's Lefty Lounge - Lefties, share your stories.

kirkster57

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was looking at pictures in this thread, and, even though I'm lefty, and I play several lefty guitars, seeing them on a wall or seeing pictures of them still often looks "wrong". It makes it easy to pick them out at a store, but it's weird. My eyes tell me they look wrong, but I own several. Once they've been in my house for a while I get more used to them, but even mine look odd sometimes.
Maybe it's because everytime I see myself playing them (in a mirror) they look righty. 90%+ of all the guitars I see are righty. Do you guys get this too?
J.

• Members

Yeah, no matter how correct it feels while I am playing, I still cringe when I see a lefty guitar on someone else. It just looks all wrong, but since I'm the one playing and it feels so right, I really don't care!

I think maybe the only person it never looked weird on is Hendrix, and he was so weird (in a good way, IMHO) that I'm not surprised.

• Members
Originally posted by jfreaksho

I was looking at pictures in this thread, and, even though I'm lefty, and I play several lefty guitars, seeing them on a wall or seeing pictures of them still often looks "wrong". It makes it easy to pick them out at a store, but it's weird. My eyes tell me they look wrong, but I own several. Once they've been in my house for a while I get more used to them, but even mine look odd sometimes.

Maybe it's because everytime I see myself playing them (in a mirror) they look righty. 90%+ of all the guitars I see are righty. Do you guys get this too?

J.

Lefty's are the only ones that look "right" ;) to me, and I see about 99% righty's :(

BTW - Nice Firebird kirkster! :cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Scratch

a leftie's website I found . He's very proud of his collection and quite rightly too.

Yeah, I ran into his site a few months back and sent him an email about it. In fact, he just emailed me back a couple days ago.

Very cool collection he has.

• Members

My Agile AL-2800 blue quilt just arrived at the office about 40 minutes ago. After a brief inspection, I am very impressed! Solidly built, fantastic fit and finish (only a tiny bit of filler around the fretboard inlays - which are much more colorful than they appear on the website - they look more like abalone than MOP), beautiful quilting! I don't care if it's not the 3/4" of the 3500, the "thick top quality maple top" advertised on Rondo's site doesn't do it justice, really. I'll post pics tonight when I get a chance. The hardware looks great and operates smoothly with no play in it. The bone nut looks well-cut and the neck has minimal relief, just the way I like it. Looks to have had a good basic setup at the factory. I brought a tuner with me to work but I won't have time to check intonation until I get home. I can't wait to plug it in and give it a workout! $309 buys a lot of guitar these days.

By the way, anyone know what guage GHS strings these ship with?

• Members

LL.. Looking foward to seeing the pictures. congrats!

kirkster

Originally posted by LameLefty

My Agile AL-2800 blue quilt just arrived at the office about 40 minutes ago. After a brief inspection, I am very impressed! Solidly built, fantastic fit and finish (only a tiny bit of filler around the fretboard inlays - which are much more colorful than they appear on the website - they look more like abalone than MOP), beautiful quilting! I don't care if it's not the 3/4" of the 3500, the "thick top quality maple top" advertised on Rondo's site doesn't do it justice, really. I'll post pics tonight when I get a chance. The hardware looks great and operates smoothly with no play in it. The bone nut looks well-cut and the neck has minimal relief, just the way I like it. Looks to have had a good basic setup at the factory. I brought a tuner with me to work but I won't have time to check intonation until I get home. I can't wait to plug it in and give it a workout! $309 buys a lot of guitar these days.

By the way, anyone know what guage GHS strings these ship with?

• Members

You could knock quite a bit off of the list price. They do do them left handed. They usually do them in runs. I agree with you that they should be making some of those left handed. I will find out. Are you serious about buying one if the prce was decent? Anyone else intersed in a Dillion 335 copy?

On a side note... anyone interesed in a Dillion firebird copy? Check out the pics in an earler post. Mine will be landing soon, so I will be able to give a first hand review of the guitar.

kirkster

Originally posted by AyeCapn

I was looking in the wrong spot
:p

Pricey, and where are you seeing that they do them in left handeD?

• Members

Originally posted by kirkster57

LL VERY NICE. Is that a realquilt top or is it a picture (Quilt fFilm)?

I understand that this series is not a "photo top", but is in fact a thin (1/16") or so veneer of flamed or quilted maple on about a 3/4" arched maple cap. The rest of the body is mahogany. The AL-3500 series has a full 3/4" cap of solid flamed maple but runs about $200 more. It also comes with an ebony fretboard, abalone inlays (rather than M.O.P.), Alnico V pickups instead of Alnico II, and higher grade wiring and switches/pots/caps. If I'm unsatisfied by this one (not likely so far), I might exchange/upgrade and see. I really, really dig the blue quilted top, though!

• Members

I would vote for a Dillion SG-style guitar, but if they can't reproduce the exact Gibson SG body style and dimensions (no stubby horns like the Agile, no elongated body like the Jay Turser), then I'd say an Inbanez-style strat with a Floyd Rose, like the Satriani signature guitar.

Anyone know of a well-made, accurate (body-wise) SG copy that comes in lefty for under $500? All I can find available now is the damn Epiphones (which don't have the binding), the Turser which is fugly IMO, and a brand from the UK called "Vintage":

Vintage Guitars

I have no idea if it's worth trying to get one shipped from the UK. I've looked for Tokai SGs but I've come up empty.

• Members

Originally posted by dirtnap101

All I can find available now is the damn Epiphones (which don't have the binding), the Turser which is fugly IMO, and a brand from the UK called "Vintage":

I have no idea if it's worth trying to get one shipped from the UK. I've looked for Tokai SGs but I've come up empty.

my bandmate has a vintage, he played it in his old band, now he is drummer.

his model is none of the current ones, but you could compare it to a LP double cutaway.

i'm not able to play it cause its righty but sometimes it got played, but it sounds like sh*t,

it could be that his guitar is bad, i don't know how he treated it in the past, and there is an electric problem and needs at least to resolder.

the two humbuckers (i don't know which ones those are) sound like nothing...

IMHO is it what it looks like, a cheap cheap reproducer and at least the one guitar i know and have heard sounds and looks really cheap, and is even not the cheap money worth...

whats wrong with the epis? is it only the missing binding?

• Members

Originally posted by dirtnap101

I would vote for a Dillion SG-style guitar, but if they can't reproduce the exact Gibson SG body style and dimensions (no stubby horns like the Agile, no elongated body like the Jay Turser), then I'd say an Inbanez-style strat with a Floyd Rose, like the Satriani signature guitar.

Anyone know of a well-made, accurate (body-wise) SG copy that comes in lefty for under $500? All I can find available now is the damn Epiphones (which don't have the binding), the Turser which is fugly IMO, and a brand from the UK called "Vintage":

Dirtnap101, I have an Epiphone SG400 with a set of VintabeVibe humbucker-sized P90's. I used to have a Gibson SG Standard. The Epiphone is by far the better guitar in feel, finish and sound.

Archived