Kirkster's Lefty Lounge - Lefties, share your stories.

kirkster57

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another southpaw here. I've gone through lots of lefties in my day, currently I have:

* Fernandes Native (they've stopped making all lefties), customized with both sustainer and RMC Piezeo 13-pin system.

* Foulke Industrial Guitar (aluminum guitar, USACG neck).

* Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro V

* Gretsch 6128TLH

* Martin 12-string acoustic

And I agree, it's VERY hard to find lefties for a reasonable price! I've had to go custom with a bunch of them.

Orren

• Members

I saw kirkster's post on the FDP and decided to follow it here.

I do just about everything lefthanded, although I'm moderately ambidextrous in other stuff (I can switch hit, I use both hands with scissors and when I eat, etc.). Left-handed guitar availability is improving but it's still not great. I'd appreciate it if people post names and links for retailers that stock interesting lefty instruments (not just electrics).

Anyway, I currently have:

- Martin D-15 solid-mahogany acoustic dread'

- Martin HD-28V sitka/rosewood acoustic dread'

- Martin Custom 00-18VS sitka/quilted mahogany 12-fret, slothead acoustic smallbody

- Epiphone Dot 335-style semi-hollowbody electric

All lefties, of course. I'm currently in the market for a low-to-mid priced LP style guitar. I'll pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks (after I do this year's tax return ;) ) Suggestions and sources greatly appreciated.

• Members

How do you like the Super sport with the P-90's? I see you have a G&L Invader. The catalog syas they don't make them in lefty. How did you get one?

Thanks for posting....

kirkster

Originally posted by Derelict King

Here's my family:

Family_pic.jpg

Fender American Standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport, G&L Rampage, G&L Invader XL & a Fender DG-10 acoustic.

DK

• Members

Hey, Kirkster...great thread!

I absolutely love the MM w/P90s. It has a silent circuit that kills the hum but none of the tone. Great, great guitar.

As far as the G&L Invader goes I picked it up on Ebay a few years ago for $650 shipped. Same with the Rampage..got it on Ebay for $600 and change.

The Ernie Ball and the Invader are hands down the two best guitars I own...and have ever played, for that matter.

DK

• Members

Thanks...

I have a Axis Super Sport arriving today. Is has the regular humbuckers on it. Cherry Sunburst. I'm excited!

Originally posted by Derelict King

Hey, Kirkster...great thread!

I absolutely love the MM w/P90s. It has a silent circuit that kills the hum but none of the tone. Great, great guitar.

As far as the G&L Invader goes I picked it up on Ebay a few years ago for $650 shipped. Same with the Rampage..got it on Ebay for $600 and change.

The Ernie Ball and the Invader are hands down the two best guitars I own...and have ever played, for that matter.

DK

• Members

hi,

i'm also lefty. when i started playing guitar, i was in the shop for my first guitar, and i asked the guy in the shop, how should i learn playing guitar, if i'm knowing i'm completly lefty in all situations of life, he replied, if i'm really really lefty i should play lefthanded... i said ok, asked him to restring the guitar i was buying upsidedown and i started to learn :)

never thought about intonation aso and so i bought my second guitar the washburn you can see, which is also a turned righty.

later i bought a fender, and as i like hendrix i bought a righty and let a tech set it up as lefty, he did a great job, i cannot play in any way like jimi, but i like the strat to play this way...

last year i bought my first real lefty guitar, it's a epiphone les paul custom, hell i waited 4 months to get this baby which my shop had to order, but now i'm happy with it.

companies who have a great lefty support with no extra charge:

Martin

Gretsch

Rickenbacker

and note all modells are available as lefty there, ok not for gretsch but they have nearly all available...

bad lefty support have Gibson and ovation :(

cheers

tele

• Members

does anybody know, who does produce lefty 12 string acoustics guitars? except from ordering one from martin directly.

does any manufucturer have one in normal stock?

i never seen one before from anybody

i would love to have the ovation 12/6 string doubleneck guitar.

and also a lefthanded version of the double neck gibson sg electric would be great, but i guess they never will build those, even for a price we would not be able to pay in our dreams :(

tele

• Members

I just got an e-mail today from a Sanatoga guitar dealer, that they expect a lefty model wihin the next 30 days or so. It will be the SAN 400 in amberburst. I have provded a link for you to check out theri line. It think the SAN 400 will go for around $350 or so.

http://www.millerspecialties.com/sanatoga_guitars/sanatoga_guitars_san_400/san_400.htm

• Members

Originally posted by kirkster57

LL, Nice display. Is the amp a Fender Hot Rod?

Nope, a Blues Junior. My Dot sounds great through it but it obviously colors the tone too much to use with a mic'd acoustic. If I ever start to play out I'll have to pick up a nice acoustic amp like a SWR Strawberry Blonde or something. My dreads' are loud enough to fill a small room but you lose a lot of nuance if you play that loud. Mic's and an amp or PA would work a lot better.

• Members

I have one hell of a time finding good left-handed guitars. As if that isn't bad enough, when the time comes to sell one, it's even tougher. I've had one on consignment at a local music store since last October, and still not one bite.

• Members

Originally posted by Detox

I have one hell of a time finding good left-handed guitars. As if that isn't bad enough, when the time comes to sell one, it's even tougher. I've had one on consignment at a local music store since last October, and still not one bite.

Detox - depending on what kind of guitar it is, you might have much better luck on ebay or even consignment with a larger music store with a more national presence, like Elderly or Southpaw.

• Members

The only guitars I've ever sold have been righty's that I flipped over. I flipped them back to the best of my ability and sold them cheap.

I've currently got a heavily customized MIM strat, a stock MIM tele, a Epi LP with all new wiring, including Seymour Duncan Phat Cats. Fortunately for me, I usually dig single coils. Either that, or I haven't found a decent amp to match with the decent set of humbuckers that I haven't found yet either.

Usually I decide what I want, and then research for a very long time, and then find it and buy it. I'm at the point where I have everything I need, and so haven't bought much lately.

I do have a VH1 Save the Music Jetstar that was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up. I was planning on selling it for a profit, but I loved the tone. I can't play it, but I love the tone. Then UPS broke the neck (those bastards!) and wanted to fix it rather than buy me a new one. So I'll probably never sell it. I keep it for learning righty, and for when friends come over, and mostly he just sits there.

Note: The right-handed guitar is a boy. He is the only male guitar I have. His name is Eddy. He is currently surrounded by Rachel and Irene and Heather and Austin. They are all lefties, and get much more attention from me than Eddy.

J.

• Members

Originally posted by LameLefty

Detox - depending on what kind of guitar it is, you might have much better luck on ebay or even consignment with a larger music store with a more national presence, like Elderly or Southpaw.

I live reasonably close to Elderly (80 miles). In fact, the guitar that I'm selling came from them. If all else fails, I'll have to consign it there.

I'd like to make the trip to Southpaw one of these days, just to avoid having to deal with all the dead links on their website.

• Members

Originally posted by Detox

I live reasonably close to Elderly (80 miles). In fact, the guitar that I'm selling came from them. If all else fails, I'll have to consign it there.

I'd like to make the trip to Southpaw one of these days, just to avoid having to deal with all the dead links on their website.

I bought my Martin HD-28V from Elderly; their price was $508 less than Southpaw's. :eek: I've also purchased everything from a solid koa uke for my wife to strings and CDs and I've never had a problem or the slightest concern. Southpaw's site annoys the heck out of me; they desperately need to get a better bunch of web people to get their site cleaned up and make it correspond better to their inventory. I have a friend who lives in Houston; some day I'm gonna go visit him and check them out in person to see what 900 lefties in one place really looks like.

Archived